After 554 days... I officially own my CNC Motors Ferrari 360, but it needs work. | FerrariChat

After 554 days... I officially own my CNC Motors Ferrari 360, but it needs work.

Discussion in '360/430' started by mattinblack27, Jul 27, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    I'd rather not get into it again on here about the CNC Motors fraud fiasco. Feel free to watch my YouTube videos if you're interested in the complete story. My 360 needs about $65k of work. I've waited a year and a half to finally own this piece of junk. I'm open to ideas how to get it all fixed. I'm even open to a complete custom rebuild. Even electrification. I'm in northern CA and looking for a shop to take on something unique and wouldn't mind me filming the process of whatever we come up with.

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Matt,

Welcome, I've seen the saga you've had to endure. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this. May I be so bold as to ask what the 65K work entails? The reason is that the collective brain trust may be able to steer you in the right direction.

As far as the car itself and your experience, leave it all behind you. What's past is past. The important thing is you have the car now. Let's work on getting it sorted!

armedferret, LARRYH and mattinblack27 like this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I’ve been following along with your story on You Tube.

Could you post a list of repairs/maintenance that needs to be done? I remember something about the gearbox being bad. I’m sure there are lots of people on this Forum that are willing to help you.

Are you mechanically inclined at all? Doing the simple things yourself will save you a ton of money.

Where in Northern CA do you live? Some peeps may even come by to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mattinblack27 and paulchua like this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Can you itemize the items that total 65k worth of work? Maybe I can help?

5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Know alot of people in the bay. Maybe just let ot go and find another one or what is your goal with ot

Sergio Tavares and paulchua like this.
  6. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    Here are some notes from an inspection last year. Since then one of the radiator hoses ruptured. I think just replacing all the rubber needs to be done, regardless. When the heat exchanger broke and flushed my gearbox with coolant, it really messed up a lot. Supposedly CNC Motors flushed it multiple times. Second gear roller cage lost some bearings and though some were retrieved, it is still unknown if some are floating around in there. Due to the excessive crank shaft end float, it is recommended that part of the motor be removed to see what is wrong and needs replacing to get that tight again.

When in 2nd gear, if you take your foot off the gas for even a second, it goes into neutral and you have to cycle through to get to 3rd gear and hope it sticks.

HARDWARE FOR UNDER BODY PANELS MIX MATCHED AND MISSING.

RIGHT FRONT BRAKE PAD SENSOR HAS BROKEN WIRE.

FRONT BUMPER BRACKET CRACKED IN RIGHT FRONT.

FRONT TIE ROD BOOTS TORN.

UPPER AND LOWER FRONT BALL JOINT BOOTS TORN.

RIGHT FRONT LOWER BALL JOINT HAS FREE PLAY.

LEFT FRONT SHOCK SEEPING.

A/C COMPRESSOR SEEPING

FREON LEAKING FROM RIGHT FRONT CONDENSER AREA.

RIGHT TIMING BELT COVER CRACKED.

TIMING BELTS DATE STAMP 2014/2015. WRITING ON BELTS LIGHTLY WORN.

TRANSMISSION MOUNT BROKEN.

REMOVE TRANSMISSION DRAIN PLUG, BEARINGS ON MAGNET.

CRANKSHAFT END FLOAT IS EXCESSIVE.

paulchua likes this.
  7. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    Hey, thanks for watching! I am not mechanically inclined at all... so that is unfortunate in this situation. I'm in Sacramento. Salerno Motorsports are great and originally did my PPI, but they are very busy and I'm not sure if they want to tackle a project this big. I was recommended Stuart's Automotive as well.

Here are some notes from an inspection last year. Since then one of the radiator hoses ruptured. I think just replacing all the rubber needs to be done, regardless. When the heat exchanger broke and flushed my gearbox with coolant, it really messed up a lot. Supposedly CNC Motors flushed it multiple times. Second gear roller cage lost some bearings and though some were retrieved, it is still unknown if some are floating around in there. Due to the excessive crank shaft end float, it is recommended that part of the motor be removed to see what is wrong and needs replacing to get that tight again.

When in 2nd gear, if you take your foot off the gas for even a second, it goes into neutral and you have to cycle through to get to 3rd gear and hope it sticks.

A/C COMPRESSOR SEEPING

paulchua likes this.
  8. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    Thanks for watching the channel. It's really connected a lot of the other victims together. I'm open to options!

A/C COMPRESSOR SEEPING

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you mean “shavings” on magnet or “bearings”? Either way…

Like you, I’m not mechanically inclined. Given the amount of work, I’d consider having the car transported to a competent shop that can do everything. When I lived in San Diego, Bobileff did my Ferraris. Not sure if you mind the distance or if they have capacity (after Monterey), but worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If you're going to spend $65K on fixing it, you are within $20K of getting a fully sorted car. Why not sell the car for parts and go that route? Or is it some sort of rare collectible edition perhaps?

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. Also, you were a victim but at this point the car is probably something to forget. There are 10,000+ other 360s out there. No sense in punishing yourself financially.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    I'm not sure the name of what they are, but I believe they are the metal pins from the roller cage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mattinblack27

mattinblack27 Rookie

Jun 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matt Salvo
    I'm in a weird spot with it. The parts that would be worth anything are all broken. I owe $50k on it and I don't think I can get more than $35k for it in its current condition. I bought it for $75k and they're going for more now. I don't think I can afford one at their current prices, so if I can get the repairs done for under $40k, I'd rather keep it and enjoy it for once.

armedferret and Sergio Tavares like this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I just sold mine for a shade over $80K, and it's top top and freshly major serviced.

I wish you could get into another car. That one could end up eating you alive.

Cpl8888 likes this.
  15. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The gearbox sounds like it needs to be removed and replaced with a good, low mileage one. If you decide to open up yours, it may be a disaster inside. To me, it sounds like it is.

The crankshaft end float on the engine has me concerned. Just guessing, it sounds like the bearings are worn and you’re looking at a total rebuild, or swap with a good used engine. The timing belts also need replacing if they are 2014/2015’s.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

430tdf, technom3 and paulchua like this.
  16. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Some of the other items are minor, and the mismatched/missing hardware in the belly pans is a common issue. My F430 had that the first time I crawled under it. This is something you can change yourself very easily.

Are any of your neighbors familiar with working on their cars? Would they come and help you? Do you have room in your garage to tinker with your car? Put on jackstands, etc?

A competent shop would need to address the gearbox swap and figure out the crankshaft endplay and replace either the engine, or rebuild, and take care of the timing belts then.

The remainder, you and a knowledgeable neighbor could repair over a period of time.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    But be careful you don’t get into a bottomless pit like others have mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    At least you have a clear title and $40k worth of car....I never thought you would get legal title.

Take out a loan to get the major stuff finished and running....then put $5k a year into the small stuff. That is how I improve both my cars.

armedferret likes this.
  19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    With no diy capability this car is going to eat you alive. It would be a tough slog even for me with a home shop, and Ferrari motor and trans rebuilding ability. Sounds like trans and motor need rebuild for starters. You cannot just replace a roller bearing and shim a crankshaft.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Poor guy. That extremely unfortunate.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Matt, watched your video and it's not a piece of junk. I know you have to play it up for YouTube.. but site this isn't youtube. :)

First, you can go and empty out your wallet for BS. You have to know what is essential for the car to run.. and what is cosmetic and can be put off for another day. You didn't buy a new car.. you bought a used one. Then, what you need to decide is what is a real issue and what is bull****.

Cracked timing belt covers, underbody parts not matching.. that's cosmetic BS. Do they protect the parts of the car that they are supposed to? Yes or no. If they work but they're cracked.. you can replace those another time. F1 issues, motor issues, fix that first.. then hit the other cosmetic things.

Get the car to a competent mechanic first off and decide what's really broken. I simply don't believe the list that was provided. "Writing on the timing belt" Really? New Mechanic time.

Finally do some reading. Learn about the car. People who buy these things with no knowledge usually have their wallets emptied. Best of luck..

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Crank end float because some guy wedged a screwdriver in there and said "yup crank is toast" is the biggest horse**** I've heard in a while. Hoe much of that "float" is from flex in the clutch? Horse ****.

23. camshaft

camshaft Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    MA
    Full Name:
    Austin
    Just watched your vids Matt, very sorry to hear about your situation. Firstly, you need to take that $65k quote very lightly, since in the end, only the person doing the actual work can give you a meaningful number, and even then that number can change as they take things apart. I would start by looking at shops capable of properly servicing or repairing the transmission, since that will likely be one of the limiting factors in finding shops competent to tackle the job. There are recommendations on the forum, and you could reach out to Tom above also. If your goal is to have the car in tip top condition for less than the cost of buying an already sorted car though, I don't see that being likely to happen.

24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    You can source a used engine and trans.

$20k

swap out the the old Eng trans

sell off the spare bits

do all the main while you are there..

make a video series about it..

enjoy the car

that’s what I would do.

25. priericky128

priericky128 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2021
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You should reach out to NGS or EAG and talk to them about it. They're both probably really busy but if it were me, I'd be converting this to a 6 speed, doing the major and then seeing where I stand.

Bas and one4torque like this.