After driving, right front is warmer than left? | FerrariChat

After driving, right front is warmer than left?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Bamsefar, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I seem to have a rather interesting (or not) situation...

When I drive, and of course after, my front right tire is always at least 5 degrees Celsius warmer than left front (or the rear's). Now when the tires are cold the car goes perfect in a straight line - however when I seem to pass 4 degrees Celsius between left and right front, my well steering becomes a bit strange, and it seems it like to turn right by it self - a bit enjoyed.

So I left it at the dealer, they did adjust (don't know if they changed anything yet) the front wheels settings - and well with the winter tires (I live in Sweden so winter is just around the corner so to speak) it is gone - however the front right never get more than +3 Celsius in difference - but there is still a difference...

So for some reason front right will be warmer.

Anyone else?

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Interesting issue; what about the tire pressures are they correct and equal side to side? The front wheel settings (alignment) do seem to make some difference but certainly a puzzle!

3. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    When COLD tire pressure is the same (on the instrument, not sure how accurate that display is).

of2worlds likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would have them check the alignment- your alignment could be out and you still might not feel the car pulling. Is there extra wear on any of the tires? It could even be a rear alignment issue- so it should a full alignment - not just front.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Ditto as post #4. Definitely check on the alignment and see if there are any tire wear difference. You might also want to check the psi and actual temperature with a pyrometer to confirm the difference.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #6 Streetsurfer, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    I don’t know if this will help any, but thought it worth throwing out there.

Measure the circumference of each tire when they are both aired to the exact same pressure. I have seen in turf equipment tires, that two tires of the same size, even coming from the same mold, thru mold wear, can vary in circumference, or height. Different height tires can cause a belt driven mower to track to one side. the taller being formed in a worn mold, the shorter in a fresher mold. The solution in the turf industry is to air them so that they equal in circumference or diameter, as opposed to pressure.

I understand that vehicle tires are likely going to more precise, but there may be something in here to help in your diagnosis.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Might this have something to do with the radiator layout?
    In some cars the hydraulic steering radiator is on the right side near the front wheel well.

Streetsurfer, of2worlds and Bamsefar like this.
  8. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I just had the alignment done, nothing to report.
    I will double check a few things, like suggested by Streetsurfer, and also measure distance between left front and right rear plus the right front and left rear.

I just need my FF back front service - I have left front PDC (Parking Distance) sensor going on/off all the time...

of2worlds likes this.
  9. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Camber on the road means slightly more pressure on one side creating friction heat which increases pressure. Go round a roundabout for about six laps quite quickly and you will notice the loaded tyres are much hotter than the inside tyres. Going straight you find often the offside tyre is hotter and 1 or 2 psi higher. stop for half an hour and they are then the same.

Streetsurfer likes this.
  10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Okay - got my car back, still problems with my left front PDC sensor...

Anyway, alignment done, and currently on winter tires, Michelin, and well now the car seems to behave as expected. However it is well freezing so it is not the perfect time of year to figure this one out I guess. I will follow up when summer wheels are back on, since even if it is winter kind-of here where I live, front right still is a degree or so warmer.

Also seem to recall a "minor note" from summer of 2016: I did notice something back then, and it was different tire pressure when COLD. So I decided to go out, drive the car as well get some heat into the tires, and then I checked the pressure in the tires... That did change the pressure front right to a bit lower when cold but perfect when warm.... I wonder if I have a TPMS issue? Could a TPMS sensor be that inaccurate to report well strange number? Do note that winter tires are on separate (Ferrari orignal) rims, so summer and winter tires use different TPMS sensors of course (and still I have a temperature difference front right....).

11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  12. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I have heard about the use of pyrometer to determine proper tire pressure. How can I determine what is the proper temperature? I am sure there are many variables that determine that, ie ambient temperature...what are those variables?

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You could take measurements across the area of the one tire that is not in question, then take the measurements of the one that is in question, and look for discrepancies.

14. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I happen to have a Flir heat camera, I might give that a try to see. However, it will be after the winter I guess - so in 3-4 months from now :-(

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think that would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it will be anywhere near as accurate. I think you are looking for more than 1-2psi differences.

16. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Problem solved: the Pirelli original tires was wrong. After changing to Michelins P4S, everything just purfect.

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Either the Pirelli has been overheating, or maybe the process of changing the tires reset the TPMS in a way to make it normal again.

18. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    We will never know. However I can say that I did ask Autoropa to fix this a number of times. They completely failed every and each time. So when Autoropa managed to get a puncture on the rear tires, I decided to change to Michelin's - and boy was that the correct decision!

What Autoropa should have done, of course, is to change the tire under warrant - they refused of course, so I solved it myself (as usual).

In my eyes Autoropa as a dealer for Ferrari and McLaren is by far the worst I ever have to deal with.

19. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Stop only turning left and loading the front right.

Only joking. The Pzero are not great, I know a small number disagree, but here in the UK they just don’t work as it’s not often warm enough. I took brand new Pzero off mine and changed to Michelin PS4s. I just don’t want the enjoyment compromised by the wrong rubber. Which curiously is what my wife said......