after market exhaust for 599 | FerrariChat

after market exhaust for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by cka, Dec 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cka

cka Formula 3

Oct 12, 2009
    botanic gardens
    Full Name:
    king
    Any recommendations for an after market exhaust for the f599. the stock exhaust sounds a bit tame

2. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    open the baffles= cool sound at any rpm.

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #3 Ferrarista3, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    +1

Try that first. I love the way that the stock exhaust sounds with permanently open valves.

Had X-OST mufflers on the 599 for about 30 minutes...only to rush back to get the stock ones re-installed. Here is what I wrote concerning that experience in another thread:

4. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    I agree 100%. I followed Carlo's advice and have been very happy with it. Stock exhaust with valves open at low RPM's is stunning and very OK in the cabin.

It's simple to do and boy, does it pay off :)

5. 430guy

430guy Karting

Nov 26, 2006
    Singapore/London
    Full Name:
    Guy
    capristo with sport cats - THE best sounding set up you can buy. It comes with the remote so if you fancy a little tamer the flaps close... you want brute in your face move the F*** out the way push the button and your in helll...

6. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Exhaust systems prior to the 599 were produced with gates or flaps that were opened using manifold vacuum so there was no way to control the flaps electrically. But that seems not to be the case on the 599 on the 599 it seems, according to what I have read its possible to fit a switch that opens the gates electrically. The power is being used to open and keep open a valve somewhere in the system. Does anyone know how this is done, by this I mean specifically what is the switch controlling?

The gates are open upon start up but close quickly hence the change in note once the engine fires up and runs

I want to do the same on mine but just wondered if anyone has actually been involved in the process or just left it with the dealer to do?

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    Caspian- The exhaust bypass valves on your 575M are controlled by a solenoid, which, when energized, allows vacuum to reach the aneroids on the valves themselves. It is easy to rig a switch to provide the same input to the solenoid as the Motronic, allowing you to have the valves open whenever you want. The same is true of all OEM Ferrari bypass valves, all of which are solenoid activated and vacuum operated. On some, the valves are closed with engine off (575M), and on others, the valves are open with engine off (599, IIRC), but all are solenoid operated and all are capable of being bypassed on command.

On the 575M the valves are open from idle to 1000 rpm when warm, then close and reopen at 2720 rpm and 64% throttle. Do a search in the 575M Forum and I posted a simple way to have your valves open continuously whenever the engine is running.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    #8 Challengehauler, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    I am standing underneath a 599 right now with the panels off. The actuators are manifold pressure/vac controlled. This particular vehicle, the actuators are not hooked up.

Pull the rubber lines off and seal them with a screw and wire to keep them from wiggling out.

What I was about to say (after reading the above) is that what I see- is not to say that there is not some type of electrical trigger-valve that allows the actuators to see changes in pressure. So I would agree with the above if you wanted to control the open/close on command. The way I explained is more labor intensive :) gotta get out and crawl under to quiet her back up.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #9 tazandjan, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    DB- Here is a page from the parts catalog that shows how the system works. The 599 is a fail open system where vacuum holds the pneumatic valves closed and the solenoid (51) receives the signal to turn the vacuum off and on with instructions from the Motronic ECU. Shut off the vacuum on a 599 electrically, or by blocking the vacuum tubes, and the bypass valves are open, as they are when the engine is not running.

The 575M is just the opposite and the valves are fail close. Shut off the vacuum and the valves never open, and they are closed when the engine is not running.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    i luv u brother
    i can imagine that sound
    u must have the best sounding car on earth
    with that capristo

11. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Taz you are a fountain of knowledge.

Will have a chat to an auto electrician friend of mine regards to a proper circuit to do the job properly and let you know how I get on.

Caspian

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    cka- I think Ferrari has a kit for the HGTE exhaust only that is not too expensive. Another alternative.

Taz
    Terry phillips

13. Bayerische-Leistung 73

Nov 12, 2008
    Full Name:
    AC
    If it were me, I would use the NOVITEC ROSSO exhaust with the flap regulation. Having driven the 599 with both options with and with out, the flap would be my recommendation. The non flap version sounds incredible, but they will hear you coming. The flap gives the ability to control everything just like factory and not have your neighbors kill you when you are coming hme too late.

The sound is absolutely amazing all the way through. I know two Ferrari Dealers who have installed this and they agree that not only is the quality and fit perfect, but the sound is amazing. I have attached their pricing for their exhuast.

NOVITEC ROSSO power-optimized exhaust system in stainless steel with 2x90mm outlets 2 left + 2 right
    without flap-regulation F1 599 20 $ 5,600.--
    with flap-regulation F1 599 21 $ 7,400.--

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    AC- The Novitec systems come with two levels of sound. I had the loud one installed on my 575M and it was really loud with straight center pipes. Cop loud, set off car alarm loud. FXX sound at 7000 rpm. The system was beautiful and workmanship was really excellent, with everything, including welds, mirror polished. About half, or a little over, compared to the stock system weight, too. The 90 mm tailpipes look really good compared to the stock ~72 mm pipes. They barely fit through the opening, they are so large. You could look straight through the mufflers.

The real problem with the Novitec systems is that they are really expensive. I got mine for $2000 as a firesale from Novitec's Florida distributor or I could never have afforded one. Aside from that, a valved Novitec system would be great. A rich guy's system.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    #15 Nick, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. NoComment

NoComment Rookie

Aug 11, 2009
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    M.AL-Yousef
  17. caspian575

caspian575 Karting

Jun 12, 2007
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Roger Hayes
    Folks - I am just trying to get my head around the operation of the actuators. As Taz points out item 51 contols the flow of vacuum pressure to the actuators. When the car starts the actuators are open. Just after firing up they close the only way they can do that is if vacuum pressure closes them rather than open them as happens on a 575. The vaccum pull on the actuators is controlled by item 51 which I am assuming is a solenoid valve of some form. If this is the case is the solenoid valve contolled by a fuse? If you remove the fuse and the solenoid remains shut them the actuators do not receive and vacuum and stay open. Which is the same thing as removing the vacuum hose from the actuators. The only difference is you don't have any control when to have that superb rasp or not!

My car is in storage so I cannot get underneath to answer my own question

18. Max599

Max599 Rookie

Aug 18, 2015
    Does anybody know which is the fuse for the solenoid valve (51) that controls the exhaust valve?
    I tried to find in the owner manual but I can't find it.
    Thanks

Nero599 likes this.
  19. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Am I right in thinking that there is only one tube to disconnect as the pipes split off into two with a T piece. Surely you only have to disconnect the one pipe?

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I do not but it will likely be tied in with other items so pulling it could make other things not work. On one other car I owned the fuse was label spare so it 599 has such a fuse try that ..

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Phil- Affirmative, you can disconnect that hose, plug both ends, tie them up so they do not flop, and the bypass valves will be open all the time. Or fit a Capristo or Forza Componenti bypass system which lets you open them or have them controlled by the Motronic ECU whenever you want. Both systems allow a hard switch or remote to be used. I have one of Steve Bisel's Forza systems and can highly recommend it.

22. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    None of those exhausts have 6-1 headers (to my knowledge), and for me, 6-1 headers bring that V12 to life.

The only option I know of at the moment that does 6-1 headers for the 599 GTB is Brilliant, but they aren't cheap. Gives it that scream!

This is (in my opinion only) the best option for the 599

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRW0IA6D8cs

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio is working on a set of 6-1 headers for the 599. He has all the laser 3D digital measurements of the engine and chassis he needs and is in the design phase last time I heard

24. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Yep I've been keeping in contact with him via email. Waiting to see how he goes and if all goes to plan I might be getting a set from him in however many months it takes

25. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    Is that your car in the video link? Does it have kreisseig headers too? Just sounds different to the one from the kreisseig YouTube page to me for some reason

Thanks