After the MG | FerrariChat

After the MG

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Once the MG was gone, I was able to turn attention to another car that had been in residence far too long. A great philosopher (I think it was Dennis the Menace) said, "One can't tell how deep a mud puddle is from the top".

I was asked about an A/C leak. It was a fairly new car (Noble). It shouldn't be too involved. After poking around with the leak detector, where it seemed the leak was nowhere and everywhere, the conclusion was that the leak was inside the evaporator unit which is located under the dash.

At least the windscreen didn't have to come out....;>)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That's good to know. Now I can get a Noble! Did the owner have problems getting it registered here?

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi WPOZZZ

You put your finger on the problem. The owner could not get it registered here and it has been sent back to the mainland for sale.

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #4 sowest, Mar 22, 2015
  5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #5 sowest, Mar 22, 2015
    The dye made it very clear where the problem was. The evaporator core is aluminum and there was an area where there was sealing foam that had corrosion. The corrosion was from the outside, in. I guess there was something in the foam or the glue that was used that reacted with the aluminum. It may also have been that the foam held moisture and salt from the air against the aluminum. The rest of the unit was shiny and clean.

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #6 sowest, Mar 26, 2015
    I gave some thought to repairing the evaporator core, but the thought of having to take it all apart again gave me nightmares. I was able to get a new evaporator assembly and, save for a few minor issues, it actually fit.

The Noble is an interesting car. There is a lot to like about it. It is quick, good looking, easy to see out of, and fun to drive. The workmanship is quite good, but there is a definite "kit car" aspect to it. It is not an easy car to work on.

7. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #7 sowest, Mar 26, 2015
    The engine management system has a port to plug in a laptop. I didn't need to go there, but I understand that one can get and install alternate mappings for the computer.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Why cant we register a Noble here?

9. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Nice work!
    Kevin, if I had to guess, it does not comply with U.S. Safety standards (i.e. Bumpers,collision standards) and/or emissions are not U.S. Compliant...

10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Gil, you are right. The car has not gone through the Federal certification process.

A new Noble was purchased as a rolling chassis and a separate engine/gearbox package. This "self assembled car" exemption seems to work in most mainland states. The argument didn't work here. The car was assembled on the mainland and came over with valid mainland title and registration.

Hawaii makes allowance for hot rods and replicas. DMV here said that the Noble was a new car and wasn't a replica of anything.

11. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks for the confirmation Sowest. This island surely makes it hard to register out of state vehicles.
    I originally wanted to bring a 998R Ducati to the island but heard they could not be registered in certain states since it is recognized as a race bike so I played it safe with a 998 instead. Not fun bringing a ride all the way out here only to look at it ;(

12. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Try a different DMV office. Laws are either ignored or interpreted differently in virtually every DMV office and also depends on your ethnic background, attitude and luck. Varies island to island also. These people are so stupid that run DMV; all they care about is how much money they can extort from you. It is seriously a major Cluster XXXK here. I have had enough.

13. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Interesting and absolutely stupid problem I have encountered. Since I work on Classic Mercedes shipped to me from all the major islands and they sometimes spend more than a few months in my shop some of them end up having expired registration during the time they are at my shop. Well in order to ship them back they need to have a current registration and safety check.. Problem is; even though the safety check system is a state wide program the counties (each individual island is a county here) have separate DMV systems these cars are not able to be re-registered and end up trapped in a Mobius loop of red tape and chicken before the egg syndrome to ship and get re-registered. You cant get a safety check an one island without it being in the county or island it is from and cant ship it with expired registration. It is a nightmare.

14. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Mark, you are so right about the DMV here.

Never knew about the safety check has to be done on the island the car is registered.
    The only was I can think around it easiest would be to put the plates in 'storage' then the owner can send you the storage papers which is sufficient to ship outer island.
    I've purchased cars from outer islands with plates in storage and never had an issue.

15. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Depends on the shipping person, the DMV office person, attitude and race... Cousin, Uncle and Auntie always get um easy Brah...