Aftermarket clutch? Who has one? | FerrariChat

Aftermarket clutch? Who has one?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by phong69, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    I called Centerforce this morning and they no longer do custom rebuilds due to their demand for production of their own clutches. I had them do one for my NSX many moons ago and had good results. I also called Tilton Engineering and they would not "rebuild" one either. Have any of you guys had one done recently and who did you use? The application is for a 360 spider/ 6spd.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I put a tilton carbon-carbon clutch in my 308 (supercharged to 500+ hp) and it's been working out very well. I did the fitting myself, but they will do the whole thing with a custom flywheel for about $5k....but just calling ferrari and buying a replacement is probably cheaper and easier.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You might try contacting Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa...they are having kevlar clutches done for the 355, 308/328...I would assume they can do it for the 360 as well.

http://ferrariservice.ws/

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Norwood too,they have someone who does kelvar clutches for them.

5. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    Thanks for the replies guys.... Have you heard of clutchmasters? They do rebuilds also and Peter here at Krause and England in Raleigh mentioned them as an option. Why don't people go with aftermarket rebuilds more often if they're so much stronger and last so much longer than the OEM clutches? I can make my clutch last a long time but sometimes when I want to do some high rpm shifts and actually enjoy the car, I wouldn't want to burn away a money with each shift. Sorry... just ranting a little since the stock clutch in my Viper for example can handle a 1000hp and yet costs only 350 bucks.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #6 ferrarifixer, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been rebuilding clutches in Aus for a couple of years now.

Have done 360C, 550, 308 std, 308 comp/heavy duty, 348 twin plate AP racing, 512BB twin plate comp/heavy duty.

Heres the 550 paddle heavy duty clutch I did recently for Fchatter stephens. This is a std pressure plate rebuilt and re-ratiod, with a centre plate that is really just the hub from the std one. But totally stock is no problem to do, although all stock ones can't take big rpm/BHP very easily.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I have one word for you: Norwoods.
    I had to replace the silly factory "paper" clutch in my twin turbo 348, the power would simply spin the factory garbage clutch under hard acceleration, (didn't take much). I simply removed the pumkin, sent it to Norwoods, and a week or so later, received back my kevlar clutch with improved clamping abilities. It was all already complete. Just reinstall the pumpkin and drive. It was a total no brainer. Clutch since has felt smooth and clamps great. I'm sure they do the same for an anemic factory replacement type setup.