Aftermarket Exhaust | FerrariChat

Aftermarket Exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DingDIng, Dec 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DingDIng

DingDIng Rookie

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston tx
    I would really like to have F1 sound for my new 458 Speciale, but doesn't want to be too loud like IPE. I'm thinking to order a Kline exhaust for my 2014 458 Speciale. I have a few questions, hope you guys can help me.
    1. Should I get the HJS cats or the just the regular 200 cell cats? Any advantage with the HJS cats?
    2. Do I need headers? Like I said, I would like to have the F1 sound, but not too loud. so are headers necessary?
    3. If I do need headers, which one should I get?
    4. My body is an Audi mechanic for over 15 years, Can I let him install it or should I bring it the Ferrari dealer to do it? How long usually takes?

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Kline inconel headers are quite promising. I'm considering a pair myself

I think Kline will fit your requirements. Kline isn't as loud as IPE or FI. If you look at the exhaust design, the exhaust gas in Kline has to go through the muffler no matter what (this is basically identical to Novitec's style). While this compromises volume slightly, I feel it improves the tone quality. IPE and FI completely bypass the muffler when the valves are open. Loudest is S-line because S-line literally doesn't even have a muffler of any sort.

Your Audi mechanic may be able to do it if they have done R8's before. Exhaust installs on mid-engine cars are more complex than front or rear engine. If your guy doesn't get many mid engine cars, I would avoid him. I would avoid the dealer simply because he's probably going to rip you off on his labor rates.

If you aren't in an area with a lot of exotic aftermarket performance shops like SoCal, a helpful strategy I've always learned is follow the Porsche guys :). porsche community is serious, alot more numerous, and tightly knit. If a guy does good (or bad) work, you bet it'll spread very quickly amongst Porsche guys.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Having read numerous threads about it here (DO a search please) I can only recommend that you first install the regular 200 cell cats first ! You will be surprised about the change ...

No need for other expensive upgrades ….

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, I’m currently getting IPE headers, test pipes and exhaust installed on my Speciale.
    Will be selling my Capristo exhaust if anyone interested.

Sent from my 16M

Melvok likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Please let us know more about you Capristo Edward, any pics of the install ?

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    IPE headers, Test pipes, and exhaust just installed! To me, the car sounds epic!
    I will try to get some vids this weekend.

Here is my Capristo for sale....feel free to PM me and also will try to post on FS section
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks superb Edward !

Any 458 Speciale owner should love such a very special exhaust system :)

Thanx for sharing.

8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    How are you getting around the Check Engine Light? Did you tune your car as well or you are just ignoring it?

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #9 plastique999, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    IPE test pipes don’t need anything more for O2 sensors. Headers don’t trigger CEL either. No tune, no CEL with my setup.
    Drove all day today in the Enzo cruise in L.A....sounds epic!

Sent from my 16M

10. unknow

unknow Rookie

May 14, 2015
    Full Name:
    HH
    test pipe is 200 cell?

11. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017