Age old question: "To Sheild or not to Sheild" Your Opinions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Age old question: "To Sheild or not to Sheild" Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jscar71, Oct 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

To Sheild or Not to Shield?

1. Sheilds?

2. No Shields?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Then, arguably, no Ferrari road car from before 1984 (when the 288 first appeared) would be entitled to carry shields. And I should not have to make any apologies for putting them on my '86.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've got a 3"x5" magnetic shield on the left side of my rear license plate and a 3"x5" oval country-of-origin badge on the right side. With a factory-certified numbers matching vintage car that I brought out of twenty years hibernation and got going again, I think I'm entitled to show off some heritage. The origin badge is a perfect balance--shows some patriotic spirit with USA in 2" block letters and a little flag above while maintaining a period sports car look.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    And it wasn't until the 90's with the Scaglietti program that they went on the non flagship cars...

4. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #29 venusone, Oct 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Now that's funny.

I say no shields. But I'm from Florida, so I don't know if my vote counts, and if it does, there will be a re-count followed by a law suit.

If you do decide to keep them make them magnetic. Go to Office Depot and they sell wide magnetic tape (one side glue & one side magnetic) Place the decal on the tape and use it as a pattern and cut it with an exacto knife. That way you can put them on or off whenever the mood strikes you. They will stay on the car at speeds over 100 mph.

6. Ruf'dup

Ruf'dup Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Washington,D.C. Area
    Full Name:
    Paul K
    Well, if you want to be distinguished, apply the shields. This way, there is no mistaking your car to the average schmoe...But this aspect is for you and how you feel. Secondly, use the magnetic....You can always remove them to keep the car factory. Finally, who cares. Even though they came on specific cars, if they look good to you, apply the real ones. In the end, it is a Ferrari.

7. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  8. Ruf'dup

Ruf'dup Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Washington,D.C. Area
    Full Name:
    Paul K
    Well, that certainly looks like fun.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    For once I am in agreement with NNO...you already have modded your car with 360 wheels, so what do you care what the purists think? Go for it, and don't look back.

Dave
    PS: But I think the original wheels oughta go back on... ;)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why do you guys only think of the modern flashy shields that the factory supplies now? ... which are now a badge (sacreligeous IMO).

They were never a badge but just a sticker ... thus just get the correct sticker and stick the thing on. No need for stupid indentations or any otherwise permanently modifying your car.

Sticker costs bugger all ... if you decide to remove, just buff the sticker off!

Have a look at a P3 Alfa Romeo, or Jim's P3/4 or even Schumachers F1 Ferrari ... no crappy heavy badge, just a sticker!

Pete

11. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would only have shields if they were placed by the factory. Then the fenders would be recessed and it would look correct.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It depends on the age of your car. Ferrari only started this recessing bullsh!t recently when they changed the correct form of the shield from a sticker to a fake/flashy/boy racer badge.

Thus a Mondial of this vintage should have a sticker ... because back then the shield meant something ... then Luca McWankwank came along and now we have the Ferrari competion shield being made into a badge and stuck on anything that moves.

Thus what I am trying to say is recessing is WRONG, unless factory done for that model.

Even if I personally ordered a F430 I would not get the wanky shield badges but buy the more correct sticker and stick that on ... after it had done a club race meet ;) ... infact if I bought any Ferrari with the horrible shield badge on it I would remove it ... derecess if necessary and put the correct sticker on it!

The Ferrari racing shield is just the same as the Alfa Romeo clover leaf ... a racing symbol that was either painted on or stuck on as a flush sticker (ie. did not interrupt the airflow, etc.). I can not understand any reason why it has been changed to a cutesy little badge on modern road Ferraris.

Have a look at a 250GTO ... 100% cheap sticker, and no recess ... and it looks so right because of that.

Pete

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Total poseur mod unless the car is a true vintage race car. Now if you can admit being a poseur - and there's a bit of that in every Ferrari owner, IMO, fine. But it's a higher degree of poseurness, as if the car itself is not distinctive. And I include the badges that come on road cars from Maranello, a sad bow to the consumer who wants them, just like Porsche did when it built the Cayenne.

Since I don't actually race a Ferrari, you won't see a shield on my car

14. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Put them on if you really want, but do NOT make them PERMANENT! You might regret it downstream when you get ready to sell it.

15. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I have the Jurgen Lewandowski book on the (288) GTO and here I quote from an interview with Fioravanti on the design of the GTO, the GTO was never designed on paper but they just build a prototype on the fly using a stretched 308 chassis, designing the details as they went along:

The most attractive of the remaining details is the enamal badge with the Scuderia Ferrari emblem which adorns the right and lefthand fenders in front of the A-pillar. "But this detail too, despite its importance for Ferrari fans, was never really planned. One day somebody from the company -I forgot who it was- simply said: 'Let's put a proper emblem here, one that isn't just stuck on as an afterthought.' And that was that: the question of the badge was settled."

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting ... but IMO they look so tacky, but then Italians (through design) are not exactly immune from tackiness ;).

Just walking around my Alfa Romeo 1750GTV and counting the badges, Alfa Romeo scripts, etc. requires advanced counting skills ;) ... way too many badges, and Ferraris are just the same with prancing horses everwhere (like you do not know it is a Ferrari).

Naming the Enzo the Ferrari Enzo was to me a highly amusing recent tacky step ... what for pete's sack are they going to name the successor? ... surely not the Luca (thus forever placing Luca above Enzo, as surely the next supercar will be an improvement ... thus whatever they name it, will make a folly of the current supercars naming).

Pete

17. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I vote yes for the shields, they are a reminder of Ferrari's racing heritage which is at the soul of every ferrari.

18. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I agree totally.

So I say YES do it, With a sticker or magnet.

19. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It's what you want...what makes you "happy." For a fact, it looks good either way. I have one on my 328. Don't care what others think.

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Me too. Magnetic works fine, and you can always remove them.

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I think some cars look great with and some don't, and in my opinion, your Mondial cabrio looks better without them, beautiful car by the way.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

22. caseykimma

caseykimma Formula 3

Jun 5, 2004
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Casey
    based on your car and pics-yes. the yellow really contrasts and brings out the red.

23. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I think I'll stick with the sheilds, got lots of compliments, with them on. My car is really not a show car, so I don't care about loosing points. (or I would not have put on the wheels.)

Plus I agree, on the red it really looks good. I'd like to see other cars with the non original sheilds on.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here is what the "better" magnetic shield looks like on the car.

Compared with the inferior shields that were on the car when I got it (which were very thin and flat), this one has a bit of thickness with a rounded edge all the way around (which can be seen a bit near the upper left corner) and a high gloss finish.

The result looks surprisingly close to the metal/resin shields which are thicker and much pricier. These were only $10 each and look like they are really part of the car.

25. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    im a definite NOOB here but i like the shields.