Aging Engine Compartment Electrical Connectors | FerrariChat

Aging Engine Compartment Electrical Connectors

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jbar2002, Jan 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    I'm in the middle of engine out maintenance on my 1994 512TR. One of the plug connectors to the Complete Phase Sensor (146233) crumbled a bit when it was unplugged. I priced a new part, then decided to fix the plug/connector.

Is anyone aware of a good source for replacement connectors? Worst case is that I can weather seal the connector with epoxy. Another option I supposed is to replace the connector with a Weather Pack connector setup assuming there is enough slack in the harness. Image Unavailable, Please Login

What are others doing to address this type of situation? For those who compete in concours, would using a non-factory connector setup like Weather Pack result in a loss of points?

Thank you in advance.

2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    don't you just love 30-year-old cars!!

Jbar2002 likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, a non standard connector would result in a deduction. I have seen the 3 wire Bosch style connectors for sale.

Jbar2002 likes this.
  4. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    No kidding. My illness is that I happen to like cars from the 80s and 90s. My #1 retirement expense has been keeping my old fleet running reliably. No complaints though-just problems to solve.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EZORED likes this.
  5. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Post some more detailed pics of the plug and I will check my electronic component manual for a match

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    SRI's gold connector kit included a lot of connectors for my Testarossa (but not all of them). Pricey, but, it helped a lot.

7. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
  8. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    Good thought - I will check that out. Thank You.

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am having different issues. The SRI kit fixed a lot of electrical gremlins, but now some of the grounds (such as for the instruments and window motors) need to be investigated. When I turn the headlights on, all my temp gauges climb a bit. The joys of 30 year old cars, etc.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Run a dedicated ground wire from engine frame grd. to battery, it will help. Window motors are improved from fixes from this forum. Run the headlight switch thru relays with direct 12+ from battery.

11. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    When you look for the matching connector…the back taper is important.

It is important because it fits in the support bracket.

Mine did the same. I have not found a good solution yet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
  13. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    Correct. So the problem becomes functionality vs appearance of originality. I've ordered a handful of the EV1 connectors to experiment with, although I'm thinking my first attempt might be to fill in the broken part of the connector with some epoxy, sand it to shape, and paint it. Not a good long term solution though.

14. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Another problem is tracking down the OEM for the connector. if the electrical contacts are still good, what about making a mold from another connector and using epoxy to replace the missing plastic. I've done something like that before. Use a good 24hr cure type , not the 5 minute type. And make sure the epoxy is non-conductive,; you dont want to short out the cable.

Jeff Pintler

15. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    I talked with a vintage racer friend about fixing old plastic connectors, and he told me that he has fixed small plug clips with a product called "Q-Bond". Where I live a similar product called "RapidFix" is readily available. Q-Bond comes in black whereas the RapidFix comes in clear. Both products appear to be finely ground silica and cyanoacrylate glue. I experimented this afternoon to understand how the product works and to test for conductivity. I made a "mold" from blue painters tape and laid 2 wires in the mold. I layered the product in as instructed and ended up with a very solid "blob" of material with 2 wires tightly encapsulated. I found no conductivity between the wires, and the resistance of the encapsulated wires was the same as a non-encapsulated piece of wire. Assuming my meter is sensitive enough for this test it seems that the RapidFix claim that the product "can even be used to insulate low voltage wiring" is legit. I've watched videos claim that the material can be sanded to a smooth finish - I haven't tested that claim yet. The challenge in using this product to repair a connector is finding a material that can be used as a mold that will release and not become part of the connector. I also need to verify the heat rating of this product vs a high-heat epoxy or plastic welding glue before I do anything rash to the un-obtainium part. Just sharing info at this point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Rhode Island wiring service and many others reproduce automotive wiring harnesses. Id get a picture off to a few of those and see if they have a source for them or know of any to try. A lot of these connectors are not that uncommon and there are many suppliers.

Jbar2002 likes this.
  17. Jbar2002

Jbar2002 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Barhydt
    Thank you for the tip.