Agnelli's Convertible Had a Hardtop?!? | FerrariChat

Agnelli's Convertible Had a Hardtop?!?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by grahambrizendine, Jan 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grahambrizendine

Sep 29, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Graham Brizendine
    So what am I looking at here? I recently bought some Ferrari related slides out of Italy. Supposedly from a former factory engineer's collection. Had them digitized and just got them back allowing me to zoom and study them in detail. This one REALLY stood out.

That looks to be the Agnelli convertible... the only factory convertible...on the assembly line. What's interesting is it has a flying mirror... which it does not have now. It does have the blue accents. Was this a hardtop for that car that has since vanished? Is sitting in a corner in Agnelli's garage? Is that an BMW e30 hardtop quarter window? Was this car actually a design study / prototype that was canned and repurposed as a car for Agnelli to make him feel special (haha)? What's the story with this? All the pictures I have seen of the car do not show this top. It really looks to me like it was intended as a removable hardtop. A very fascinating and compelling hardtop that would have made a convertible Testarossa much more livable than the canvas creation they stuck on it. Did the public ever see this top?

Just a really cool find and a neat addition to my slide / picture collection. Yes, that is my watermark I dropped on the images (Vintage Historics).

Enjoy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Looks like it. Same shape to engine cover. You should ask David Williams, editor of Cavallino magazine. He knows some about the car and may be grateful for pictures or have information for you.

I have this picture in pretty high res and you can blow it up big enough to clearly see 2 holes in the windshield header for alignment pins, much like 308 top and out almost to the ends 2 rectangle metal loops for a hook type latch.

gt1995 likes this.
  3. grahambrizendine

Sep 29, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Graham Brizendine
    Great picture. It's certainly interesting... as I have been unable to find any info about what appears to be a hardtop. I'm really wondering if Enzo didn't magically come up with a convertible for Agnelli... when they had actually already been prototyping or working on one. Or perhaps the hardtop just vanished while the car was in Agnelli's possession, never to be known about or seen again.

I'll ping David Williams and see. Might be a shot of something people haven't seen in 30+ years. Thanks!

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    awesome find! this is great to see. Love these old pics. If you have any more of the testarossa content, please post!

5. grahambrizendine

Sep 29, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Graham Brizendine
    Here are a few others from my collection. Enjoy!

Attached Files: