Air bubbles on dip stick - 360 Modena | FerrariChat

Air bubbles on dip stick - 360 Modena

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by piperdan, Aug 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piperdan

piperdan Rookie

May 27, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel B. Apple
    I am a newer owner of an 03' 360 and had the 5k service completed in March of this year by a Ferrari dealer in my area. This included an oil change. Due to ignorance/assumptions on my part I have not checked the oil since the service was completed. The reasons I did not check the oil was that 1. It was done properly, 2. The oil pressure was fine and 3. I have read and was told that 360's do not consume oil and I did not need to closely monitor the oil levels. Well, I thought that I would do a check since it had been a while since the service and I wanted to make sure everything was fine. I checked the oil according to the OM (oil temp above 160 F, engine running and on level ground). The oil readings are eratic, showing oil levels well above the high mark. There is no clear indication of where the true oil level is. There are small air bubbles on both sides of the dip stick. I have completed this check three times and it is the same. To say that I feel sick and upset is an understatement. I have put 1200 miles on the car since the service in March. I am not driving the car until this is resolved. Help - please be easy - this is my first post. I am contacting the dealer in the morning.

2. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm
    I am interested to hear what they say about this.

-A

3. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    I think you are getting yourself all worked up. How about checking the oil with the engine OFF, but at temperature on flat ground?

If a car with 5,000 miles needs its oil check regularly you have a problem IMO, so I don't think you have been negligent. Oil either leaks out and leaves a stain in your garage or it gets burned due to ring wear, since you should have neither at 5,000 miles it is non-issue IMO.

Calling the dealer in a huff will just get them to think your an idiot and have a laugh after you hang up. I'd check it as I described FIRST, get a reading and then call them and tell them the bubble issue versus the non-running level so you have some information to work with. The patented response will be "bring it in and we'll look at it", at $125/hour that is.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I don't know about your car for certain, but in my Ferrari 348, which probably has the same or similar dry sump oil system as does your 360, too much oil will cause foaming...which leaves tiny bubbles on your dipstick.

If you are seeing some puffs of white or grey smoke coming out of your exhaust pipes, then you probably have too much oil in your system. Drain a bit or suck some out with a shopvac or whatever, and you'll probably see the bubbles disappear from your dipstick and your smoke go away.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Just be sure to not check check a dry sump oil system cold because you'll flip out thinking that you have no oil in the car (the reading will typically be below MIN). Then you'll erroneously add oil.

First time F-car buyers typically check the oil when the engine is cold, not knowing that you don't do that on dry sump engines...then they panic and add oil...often pushing the oil level over MAX when the engine is started again.

That causes foaming on the dip stick and smoke out the exhausts.

6. piperdan

piperdan Rookie

May 27, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel B. Apple
    I'll try checking as you suggest. Thanks for the reply.

7. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I would just take it in for an oil change, rather than give the garage a panic call which will result in a several hundred dollar oil change. Start out with a known correct amount of oil by someone who knows how to fill it properly. Then check it at home for a few days and I am sure you will be fine.

8. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    Dear Air bubbles. You are experiencing a standard feature of checking the oil on a 360 and similar to that of a 355. Oil these days is very viscous and tends to collect little air bubble as it returns to the reservoir which is in the engine bay . The car is a dry sump car so it relies on a seperate reservoir and oil is circulated through the engine and back to this reservoir. As it drops from the reurn hose back into the reservoir it will collect a little air at the surface and as you draw out the dip stick these will collect on the stick, this is normal. Checking the level of oil is a black art and I am yet to discover many people who own ferraris who are totally happy with a 100% proof way of douing it. I agree with the stop engine and quickly check level when hot as this seems to be the best and most common used even by the ferrari dealer mechanics. Seems the book is not the easiest to follow as there are variations in the level as it is circulating.
    By the way, 360's do use oil and it says so in the O.M. You should check oil every 500miles or so and the oil reservoir lid and the power steeing lids can work loose so they should be checked regularly. Do not be tempted to over fill as it can get messy. If you have an f1 do not over fill its reservoir as it will drip out and scare the bejeesus out of you as it fills the engine bay with smoke as it drips on the manifold/exhaust. regards Tony
    p.s. ferrari engines are mechanical things that all cars have I think we tend to baby them a little too much (fear of costs) but they are pretty bullet proof.

9. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    You did the right thing checking it while idling after it had reached normal operating temp. You should wipe the oil from the dipstick and simply rest it on the filler neck for a second or two and then lift it vertically to check it. Do not screw it in before checking -- if you do, it'll show that it has more oil than it actually does.

btw, my 360 needed a quart of oil about every 1000 miles.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Don't worry, air bubbles are normal. Mine does that too.

11. piperdan

piperdan Rookie

May 27, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel B. Apple
    I spoke to the service department today and they confirmed that it is nothing to worry about. They recommended checking the oil per the OM except with the engine off. They said the air bubbles are normal and caused by oil being pumped and splashing on the dip stick. They do not recommend checking with the engine running. Interesting??? Live and learn.

Dan

12. jvbjr

jvbjr Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 19, 2005
    Told ya you were working yourself up to a sleepless night for nothing.

13. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I guess i didn't had nothing better to do this morning then calling 5. different dealers in CA to ask them about how to properly check the oil level. With engine on or off. All of them told me while enginee is idling.

I did the check myself on my car. With engine hot, on flat ground, while idling, the dip stick reading shows me about 2 inches over the max mark. Also, few air bubbles on dip stick.

Same conditions as above, but with engine off, and checking about 15 seconds after turned off engine, the reading is between the min and max mark.
    Go figure ??? I guess this is the better way to properly check it, or do i have realy to much oil in the system ?????
    Oil temperature and pressure is fine.

14. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Nobody has any comments and or ideas to this ??? Come on guys !!!

15. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Bit of logic required here.

If the engine is running then the oil pumps are too which means oil will be gushing into the header tank where the dipstick is, exactly how would a dipstick give anyone a good idea of oil level in this environment!

You turn the engine off and the oil settles and begins draining under gravity back into the crankcase, it will take a couple of seconds from turn off for the level to settle and begin draining. If you remove the dipstick at this point then it will still be covered in oil and bubbles (from the air that is in the header tank). If you remove the stick, wipe it and then stick it back in the level will have dropped even more.

I suggest removing the dipstick whilst the engine is on, wipe it, turn the engine off then stick the dipstick back in, wait 1 second and then check the level. If you do this on your own then the time from turning the key to getting the stick back in will be enough for the level to settle.

Also, a lot of people store their F-cars over winter or only use occasionally and in cold conditions some moisture will collect in the oil which will foam slightly if you drive the car for a short distance - this is normal too. A longer drive in warmer conditions should see the slight foaming vanish (hopefully!).

16. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #16 ferrarifixer, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The engine should be off, and there is a revised owners manual that confirms this. I think 04 model year cars have the correct owners manual.

Engine off is NOW the factory recommended method, and has ALWAYS been the best and most accurate method.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jamesw

jamesw Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James W
    I am having the exact thing happening also. This troubles me. James

18. snakepilot

snakepilot Karting

Aug 13, 2005
    Lake Murray SC
    Full Name:
    John Martinez
    My 03 does the same. It is normal.
    Engine off has always been the best way to check. As Ferrarifixer pointed out, it is now the prescribed way. Don't worry... be happy! :)

19. jamesw

jamesw Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James W
    The skies have cleared and I guess I should go heat up the oil and check again. Have a great day!! James

20. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is a late posting, but don’t worry about the oil level.

Why?

With a dry tank system there is actually quite a lot of oil to go around. If you think about it, the only oil that is doing any work is the stuff actually in the motor, not the stuff in the tank - that’s just spare oil, there in sufficient quantity ensure longevity and to keep the oil temperature down, and there to so that during hard cornering the pick up won’t run dry. Relax! As long as there is something real on the oil stick you can’t run the main bearings, and that’s the huge worry.
    You can over fill it, but that’s another problem.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually several Ferrari dry sump motors will starve with low oil in street use and the 360 is one of them. They need to be full or very close to it. Also the oil in the motor does it no good at all because it is not being used for lubrication, it is just waiting to be pumped back to the tank. The oil supply pump that is supplying the motor has one source and that is the tank. If the oil is low it WILL slosh away from the pickup starving the engine of lubrication.
    Also as to oil temps it is not uncommon to see a buried oil temp gauge on a 360, the motor is working hard and so is the oil. Low oil levels just make that even worse.

22. awhite

awhite Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 13, 2005
    still here
    Full Name:
    hmmmm

What manual did you get this out of ???

Everyone I spoke to including my tech, stated you check the oil while the car is running. (PERIOD)

-a

23. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Well, that's what i'm wondering too. Everybody i spoke too, is telling me to check while enginee is idling.

24. jamesw

jamesw Karting

Nov 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James W
    You can not check my 360 when it is running it is all foam. James

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Phil is correct, it was changed.

I fill the cars with Redline and it does not foam.

Marcopolo3382 likes this.