Air Conditioner 'O'-rings - Boxer | FerrariChat

Air Conditioner 'O'-rings - Boxer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jselevan, Jan 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I found a small leak in my radiator, and decided to remove and repair. As the condenser has seen its share of dings, I am repairing/replacing as well. I had the A/C system evacuated, and removed the lines to the condenser, as well as the filter/dryer and high/low pressure switch. As I removed the various lines, I see 'O'-rings on the ends of the various lines. Where might I get the specified sizes for these various o-rings? Is the material of concern in the R-12 environment? I could use the old rings as templates, but they have been stretched over time. Any help concerning these O-rings and material is greatly appreciated.

I assume that since the system is now open to atmosphere that I must replace the filter-dryer. Is that correct?

Thank you.

Jim S.

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Would these be O-rings that are in the tapered portion of the male compression fitting?

I came across these type of fittings when I replaced some hydraulic lines on my 85 Ford backhoe. It seems that they where common in the 80's. I was told to just replace these with standard 37 degree JIC male fittings (without O-ring grooves), and that the O-ring is not needed..........maybe the newer fittings are just better.

I use Parker brand fittings and hoses.

3. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Henry - thanks for the reply. These are small o-rings inserted on the ends of the fittings going into the filter-dryer from the condenser, the evaporator, and the pressure switch. There are several different sizes (5 mm to 1 cm).

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Jim S.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Why not just replace these these 15+ year old fittings, and hoses, with modern "common" fittings? Unless you insist on OEM............which is fine also.

I would measure mine for you, but the A/C is working...........for now!!!!!!

5. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Mr. Selevan,

Here's a great source for AC parts:

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=O-ring1

I purchased the import metric & GM standard assortment to cover all bases prior to disassembly & actually the GM blue O-rings fit best (1988 328). AC O-rings are not the same material as standard hardware store variety. Also would reccomend the "Nylog" sealant. You'll also probably want to replace the filter-dryer concurrently; mine cross-referenced to standard Parker part.

Good folks, rapid shipping - ask for Mr. Tim Bohringer.

:) Carl

PS: Went partially through 328 AC system filter-dryer & compressor front seal article written with pictures - drop me a line @ [email protected] and I'll send you a copy.

6. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Carl - thank you for the information. I will contact you.

Jim S.

7. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Another source for Ferrari A/C is Tim Stanford foreign cars in Miami, Fl
    He can provide compressors, dryers, o-rings etc. And very reasonable - I purchased a new Boxer compressor last March and dryer both for around 260$