Air conditioner water leaking onto passenger foot well | FerrariChat

Air conditioner water leaking onto passenger foot well

Discussion in '308/328' started by DMaury, Aug 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I noticed today that when I take a corner hard with the A/C on, water runs onto the passenger's side foot well. Does anyone have a diagram of the drain lines or suggestions on how I should go about checking for obstructions? Oh, and the car is an 86 328 GTS. :)

2. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sorry no one has responded Maury, it does indeed sound like a plugged drain tube off the evaporator casing can you spot the tube as it exits the floor pan, and maybe back flush it with a shot of compressed air?

Look for a clear Tygon tubing like off your washer bag......

I'll try to find my 308 Parts Manual and see what it indicates or look at one of my 308GTBs.....Daniel at Ricambi is off for the weekend, so he didnt respond, and 91tr does not always see the stuff in this Section ,mostly up in TEch with his amazing online assembly sheets.....he had a 328n and would most likely know...

I'd try a blast of air back up the tube, probably a dead spider in there!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sometimes the condensate drain is off the bottom and thru the firewall on my other brands, if you cannot see it it must be on the forward side of the firewall on our 308s but it HAS to eventually dump thru the underbody cladding......

Check it out.

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maury, I too have an 86 328 I'm gonna check my SPC and see if that enlightens us, if not I'll look at mine..

Mike

6. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    My '89 328 does the same thing and I've posted the same question here, but didn't get much of a response. I tried to clear the condensate drain tube, but that didn't do any good. My guess is the insulation on the duct running from the plenum to the center console vents is gone and the result is condensation forming on the duct and dripping in the foot well.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hmmmmm...check out Armorflex at Johnstone supply then.........I use it to replace all the old open cell foam they used on my car.

It's closed cell with a skin, wonderful stuff....Trane uses it on the big chillers...

8. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    And in the case of our 20+ year old cars, my suggestions are:

1. Don't corner hard with the A/C on; or

2. Only carry passengers who appreciate the fact that a 20+ year old Italian air conditioner works at all and who think some cold water on the feet when it's hot is a special Ferrari option available only on 80's cars.

Anyway - good luck!

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Mine does the same thing... especially when its humid out...or its been on for a long time... it drips on both driver and passanger. I think its just part of the experience. I only use the A/C once in a while... it works well, but there are the drawbacks. just remember to take your carpets out and get them dry or they will mildew everywhere.

10. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Thanks. I don't accept the "it's just a part of the experience" thing. I'm willing to bet it didn't do it when new, which means it shouldn't do it now if properly repaired.

Driving back from Talladega 2 weeks ago, I soaked an entire bath towel over a two hour period.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are welcome, I agree.. go for it!

12. wise3

wise3 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Ward Orndoff
    Both my 77's have done it the entire time I've had them. When I got my first one, it was only 5 years old, and it did then. I drilled a pin hole in the passenger floor, and I take the passenger carpet and matt out to dry as needed. But don't let me discourage you; good luck!

13. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    When I bought my 328 last year I couldn't figure out why the leather on the centre tunnel below the AC was split and peeling. Until the wife got a footshower shortly afterwards. Can't work out where its coming from as the drain tube is apparently clear -the workshop checked it last time it was in for service. Anybody solve this I'd be really grateful.

Cheers

Mark
    Taiwan/UK

14. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    On a serious note - you are quite right. I had my A/C system restored a year or so ago by Ron Reineke over in Atlanta, and he spent some time looking for the correct material and adhesive to use to replace the disintegrated material that a previous poster referred to. I don't know what he used, but condensation does not collect in the car now except, as you say, on a ocassional quick turn, a few drops will fall of the feet of the passenger - but nothing like a "soaked beach towel" as you describe. If you or DMaury will PM me I can give you Ron's cell # if you want to ask him what he did to fix the problem.

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i read in a previous thread that they use a scrubby pad material in the condensing pan. it retains the water and allows it to evaporate. the stuff clogging the drain tube could be little flecks of deteriorating foam insulation. check how close to the coil the drain line is as it may be freezing and not allowing the water to drain. i still marvel that such a superbly designed vehicle has such a problem plagued a/c system. from studing a/c threads here i've learned it seems best to learn to ignore the heat. it doesn't matter how hot it gets 'cause when you're driving a ferrari you are cool daddy, cool.

16. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    I had the same thing happen to me in the GT4 while not exactly the same car this is what I did.First I made sure that the condensate drain hose was clear.It was so I then removed the condensate tray and had a look at it.The walls of the tray aren't very high probably 40mm from memory.I then cut two strips of stainless sheet approx.60mm and silicone it to the insides of the tray against the existing walls and basically made the tray deeper.That fixed it for me and although my wife still nags me that the A/C isn't as good as the one in her car,she doesn't complain about getting her shoes wet anymore :D

17. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Thanks for all the responses!

I'm glad it's just not my car. ;)

I'm going to see what I can do with it later this week, but just ignoring the heat isn't an option, as those living near Louisiana and Houston can attest. At 100 with 50-80% humidity it's a killer. Another reason the unit is pulling gobs of moisture out of the air I'm sure.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Let me know what you find, I may put my A/C back in, someday.......

19. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA

Hey, YOU live in Houston driving that thing without AC? You just like to sweat? ;) Keep in mind, I keep it off in mine a good bit, but don't drive it during the peak hours of the day. I DO have an old MG that I just sweat away in though. :)

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a good excuse for the ladies to "loosen up your clothing"...........;)

They are in the shade until the sun goes down, my brudda!

And I stripped the equipment from #22127 for weight savings........

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey guys, been there, done that with my previously owned 328GTS. I have posted on the solution previously, but here goes again. As your are all painfully aware, one needs to first ensure the drain line is clear of any obstruction. From the passenger side, you can move a few things around and disconnect the line from drain "tray" and run something down through it to ensure it is clear. I used a long snake like flexible "grabber" tool that I bought at Harbor Freight Tools for $1 or $2. It was just the right size to fit down the line and long enough to pop out the other end, under the car. What I found was clogging the line is a very thin, black foam filter type material that is fitted to the back side of the AC condensor, directly above the drain line. It was torn and in shreads, with bits hanging off the condensor, and many more bits in the "tray" and around the drain entrance. After cleaning it all out, I THOUGHT, my water on the knees problem was over.....as you all found out, it is not. That foam serves a specific purpose, and that is to 'catch' the condensation off the condensor, and direct it down that drain. What I did (and eluded to in a post above) is to use some 3M Scotchbrite material from the hardware store. I purchased some pretty coarse looking stuff, that was maroon in appearance and I think used for sanding. To install it, remove one or more of the center vents in the top of the dash. You can very carefully lift them out. With some trial and error fitting, you trim a piece of the Scotchbrite pad to fit so that it bottoms out in the tray, and fits correctly for full coverage of the AC condensor. Friction will keep it in place as it is a tight space. Replace the center vents. I went ahead and double checked/cleared the drain line a second time, and I was done. The Scotchbrite pad will "catch" the condensation, and properly direct it down the drain.

I NEVER had water dripping in the passenger compartment after this fix.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, that sounds like a good fix, Dave......

23. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'm going through all these old posts updating the problem with what fixed it. In this case, after a very careful inspection (sarcasm) it was found that the prior owner had DRILLED A HOLE in the condenser pan and ran a wire THROUGH IT for the aftermarket alarm system! Patched it up and all is well.