Air Conditioning Condenser Upgrade? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Air Conditioning Condenser Upgrade?

Discussion in '308/328' started by oceanview328, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Frankly, I just used what others had confirmed that fit. I don’t know the bigger size, if there is one.

Considering how notoriously hard it is to do in other cars since it is buried deep in their dashboards, pulling out the evaporator/fan assembly is remarkably easy to do in a 308.

If I recall correctly, the new Spal is a 1/4” in diameter bigger than the factory fan and fits back in with almost no more clearance remaining from the passenger wheel well. However it looked to me like the bolt holes and the holes for the evaporator connectors could probably be moved a little inboard with a little tinkering to facilitate installation of an even bigger diameter fan. Not sure.

Another consideration is current draw. My uprated fan works fine with the existing factory wiring, switch and fuse. I don’t know how close it is to the circuit’s limit. A yet bigger fan might require an upgrade to the fan wiring.

oceanview328 likes this.
  2. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go ahead and order a Spal! :)

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Please make sure you read the threads about installing the uprated fan. Although the evaporator/fan assembly is easy to remove from the car, you need to disassemble that assembly and the new fan needs an adapter plate to install. The adapter plate can be hand fabricated but requires some metal working skill. They may be available for purchase somewhere. I bought mine from an FChat member who led a group buy of 5 of 6 plates.

oceanview328 likes this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yes, it takes more than just removing old fan/installing new. TBH, I was thinking about doing it a couple years ago but after reading all the info about the install I asked myself, "Do you really want to do this?" Myself responded, "No." ;)

thorn, oceanview328 and waymar like this.
  5. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Oh, OK. Thanks for the info.

6. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I see. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how I do. Worst case, I'll just put the old one back and would have wasted $80 on the new motor.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I will have to go back and re-read the posts....but I don't remember someone providing a "plate template" drawing. Someone got a sketch of how to do it right?

oceanview328 likes this.
  8. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    That would be Awesome! :)

9. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  10. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    oceanview328 likes this.
  11. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Wow, that's one hell of a thread. If I were to try, it would be only the blower replacement part. The plate makes sense but, I also saw where he put it back together and it didn't fit! Doh! I tried to read through the thread quickly but, I didn't see what his fix was for that.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yep, that (excellent) thread is what convinced me that the "fix" was to leave it alone! :)

Du_Man, oceanview328 and waymar like this.
  13. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW the lower center vent has clutter. I removed all the vent outlet clutter and cut circular openings on the sides. The lower center vent now flows more air.

oceanview328 likes this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I didn't really find it too tough of a project. The big thing is getting/making that adapter plate. After that it is just straightforward futzing around.

oceanview328 likes this.
  15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well, we had a cool front come thru today with the outside temperature reaching 52F (11C). A/C worked great.
    Set your expectations accordingly :)

Saabguy, oceanview328 and Brian A like this.
  16. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Lol. Yep, sounds good enough to me, Haha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Funny - in a way, I've indirectly done the same thing...I don't drive the car in hot weather any more. It's not because I don't want to but because our current life-situation is that we are in Texas, where the Ferrari is now located, from Nov-Apr; no hot summer months. So there is less need for a good quality AC. Therefore my previous interest/need to get it working as well as possible has become less of a concern.

oceanview328 likes this.
  18. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ah, I see. Well I'm in Charleston where it's hot and sweaty about 13 months out of the year, so...

19. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I have a extra adapter plate for the evaporator, for the larger spal fan motor. You can also check how many volts you are getting to the motor. Mine was 11.1. So I installed a relay, so I get full battery voltage 12.6 to the fan motor. I did the same for my condenser, radiator fan motors to increase fan speed and take the stress off of the fuse box. In my opinion, after converting hundred of car from r12 to r134 , r12 is still better for the older cars. You need a bigger condenser and more air flow to make r134 work.

oceanview328 likes this.
  20. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I see. Thanks for the tip. Can you provide any dimensions for the plate?

waymar likes this.
  21. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Brian, I got an electrical newbie question......because the new Spal motor has the built-in resistor with the individual "speed" wires, how do you wire up the Spal 008-A45-02 to the old 2-wire/existing resistors layout? Black to the ground and the red to the MAX speed connector?

oceanview328 likes this.
  22. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I chose to bypass the new resistor and just connected the wires from the old resistor appropriately. I don’t recall which wire was which but recall there was a diagram or something.

oceanview328 likes this.
  23. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Understood!