Air conditioning for 246 Gt E serie | FerrariChat

Air conditioning for 246 Gt E serie

Discussion in '206/246' started by Frank Mechaly, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    I am looking for a complete air conditioning unit including brackettery etc...
    All the ones I find online don’t fit according to my mechanic
    Any thoughts members ?

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Here is the complete OEM out of 05702 , you're on the right track as the brackets and the evaporator/housing will be your biggest hurdles - all else, I've found to purchase, upgraded where I could if it looks OEM; condensor (17% increase), compressor (20% increase), lines (10% increase), R134A, O-Ring fittings instead of flare.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Frank Mechaly likes this.
  3. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
  4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Wow, great work Stefan; 18-19 are the tough solution.
    Item 20 is the TX valve, easy to get.

OP, Frank M - are you located in USA or elsewhere? Your profile does not say.

I installed Two Mini-split AC last year; in my garage and also in the Casita, and decided to buy AC tools so have Testo 550 manifold and gauge set so can set Superheating and Subcooling points to optimize AC at phase change points. One thing to consider is that flare fittings are for sealing the larger R12 molecules, while viton O-Rings are used for the smaller R134a molecules. You may have an opportunity to modernize your AC seals.
    BTW, Propane also makes a great refrigerant, cheap, easy to seal but it might be a bit too "exciting" gas for a Dino. :)

OMGjon made a visit to the LA condensor manufacturer that I used (where is that thread?).
    The big benefit is that this condensor provides both connecting options; uses viton O-Ring seals (yes!) and then has an adapter to flare
    Nicely sized extra big Heat Exchanger too. OEM comparison photo:

PS - Do you have the Right side gas tank with a cutout ledge to accomodate the AC compressor? If your Dino never had AC then you must find the right tank or modify yours or there will be no room for AC compressor to fit. Photo attached of tank on right

Attached Files:

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I've got the compressor bracket and special mount for the oil cooler if one can't be found.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 synchro, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Finding that bracket is overcoming a big hurdle
    Oil cooler?
    I believe the oil-to-water heat exchanger on Passenger's side of engine uses the same bracket as Non-A/C just rotated on a different mount point, doesn't it?
    Do you perhaps mean the condensor which mounts to permanent brackets on the radiator and different than the Non-AC radiator? (pic att)

Thanks for all your help and knowledge in past years, your details have been greatly appreciated, esp on my Corona fuel pumps
    Scott

Attached Files:

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Here is a pic of the brackets. The oil cooler mounting bracket is different as it mounts to the AC compressor bracket. The line going to the oil cooler is different and I believe one of the steel water coolant lines is different as well. All of this is in Tav 40 of the parts book. I think I have most if not all of these parts.

8. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    Thanks racerboy
    how much you want for that ?
    how does trade work here ( sorry I am new to the forum )

9. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    Hello Synchro
    I am in Los Angeles , CA
    I definitely needs the gas tank

10. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    Need that too !!!!

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 synchro, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Call GT Car Parts in Arizona, Tom Vail or Rutlands in Monterey to search for used. There may be a possibility that you could use yours and modify it, although I see baffles inside so it might be more complicated than that.

Take it to my friend Simon near John Wayne Airport. He is competent in aluminum and rebodied his entire Dino #03664, every panel, in aluminum. He is a craftsman that knows his materials technology, what he can do with your aluminum and how to give you options.

[​IMG]
    Simon Leach, Simon Fabrication
    3190H Airport Loop Drive
    Costa Mesa, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [email protected]
    714.335-5842
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dino-gt-03664-rebodied-in-aluminum.295393/

12. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    Scott, are you sure the cutout ledge was there from the factory? Here is one from a AC-Car we did. The fuel tank is original to the car.

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Frank, let me go through my spare AC parts. Pretty sure I have most everything except the gas tank. I believe you will need different water tubes to route around the compressor. I have these and are made of stainless steel. I also have the evaporator part that goes inside the passenger foot well. The water tubes are a tight squeeze getting in. I think I had to loosen the motor mounts nearest the firewall to get them in. I don't believe Ferrari planned on AC being used in the Dino but had to adapt to keep up with the competition and the desires of their customers.

Classicsworkshop118 likes this.
  14. Frank Mechaly

Frank Mechaly Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Los Angeles , CA
    Full Name:
    Frank Mechaly
    ok thanks let me know

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #15 swift53, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Frank, the console with the upright (angled) section for the Borletti round controls (switches),
    and #18 ( evap. housing) are available. . Console can be sourced immediately. Housing, longer.

Do not ask for prices anywhere on f-chat, unless the item in question,
    is listed under "Parts for Sale".

This is frowned upon otherwise.

Please email me it you require help.
    [email protected]

Regards, Alberto

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes and No.
    You only need one new coolant pipe, a long one, but the only place I've found it for sale is within a set of 3 at Dino Parts,. High quality Stainless steel but straight ended, i.e. without bubble ridge for clamping hoses.
    http://www.dinoparts.eu/EN/ferrari-246-gt-gts/cooling-system/water-pipes-more/stainless-steel-pipe-set-e-series-with-ac-chassis-nr-02132-08518.html

Honestly, no idea only impressions. The factory had never produced cars in such high volumes before and books I read about the Dino talked about supplier issues causing production order sequence disparities (that's a nice way of saying "pushed off to the side for later")

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

From TAV 39, I have NOS 10, 12, 18, 19, and 34, and possibly 20, and many other miscellaneous pieces that you'll need (including the tunnel where the AC controls mount), from when I was going to install AC in my 246 and then decided not to. You'll also need the correct drive pulley and belts for the AC system. Send me a PM.

18. Ludo Boon

Ludo Boon Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Enkhuizen, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ludo Boon
    Hello, a bit late but is it still available?
    Looking for a complete system if possible for 72 dino 246gt chassis nr. 04658

19. Ludo Boon

Ludo Boon Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Enkhuizen, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ludo Boon
    Hi, any of these parts still available?

Ludo

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you had an A/C OEM Dino, I have a complete set of concours correct replacement parts for $2000 USD - everything in the refrigerant flow path (compressor, hose set, evaporator, condensor, TXV, dryer and pressure safety switches).

Beyond that you need compressor mounting brackets (I believe Randall has a spare set?), Crank pulley with twin A/C belt slots, 5 "L" brackets welded to the radiator, a dryer mounting clamp and a center console with A/C knob placement and Fan and capillary thermostat switch.

I think the crank pulley would be your most difficult item to find but I have not called GT Car Parts, Rutlands or others to ask.

If this was standard A/C Dino, I could do the R-134a conversion in one day and I drive from AZ with my parts to you in LA.
    Not sure about a non-A/C to A/C conversion though - the crank pulley has a huge nut to remove (perhaps I recall correctly it is a 36mm ?)

Scott

Have you contacted Carl Steur at Black Horse motors off La Cienega? He is a good friend and knows about my retrofit kits and has A LOT of parts from the days of old Italian tech Sal

21. Ludo Boon

Ludo Boon Rookie

Oct 13, 2020
    Enkhuizen, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ludo Boon
    Hi we are located in the Netherlands in Europe, so is the car.
    Have not contacted any companies. This is my first try

ludo

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, this will be very difficult.
    I had the same problem, I could not find a solution anywhere, so I decided to make my own, but my car had A/C from the factory
    I also got to reduce the number of fittings by using combination components because fewer seals results in a more reliable system

23. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My euro GT without air conditioning had the dryer bracket installed so may be worth checking if you have one. Would be easy to make if not. T-Rutlands in Georgia had a few of the AC parts. They may have several of the brackets that mount to the cylinder head ( on the right in my post #7).

synchro likes this.
  24. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a spare AC crank pulley and a few sets of stainless water pipes I had made up. Pipes are one piece not the welded up type. I would call Brian at T-Rutlands as he is good at finding things in their huge warehouse. I can't remember if I bought it but they had the special oil cooler mounting bracket. That would be an easy part to remake.

synchro likes this.
  25. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good catch on the oil cooler bracket, I missed that in the list

Say Keegan's name three times in succession and you'll summon the dark spirits of Ferrari parts!
    LOL - I'm just kidding you, Brian....!

The only Dino I know of that has had OEM A/C installed after delivery is that past Swiss Dino on BAT 3 months ago