Air horns | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Air horns

Discussion in '360/430' started by FJS961, Sep 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for that tip Scott. I'll look into that. Did you mount both trumpets together in air inlet on drivers side?

2. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I am such a wuss! You guys are soo much braver than I am. No wonder I sit behind a desk, I would be worthless at anything else it seems.

3. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #28 sclja, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    air horn job going well thanks to help from fellow F-chatter Uconn Husky. Compared to doing his own major last winter on his 355, this job was small :)

I'll post pics as I haven't seen any detailed info on 430 install. It is certainly NOT identical to the 360 install.

5. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #30 FJS961, Oct 15, 2009
  6. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #31 sclja, Oct 15, 2009
    thats an interesting location.... If there is room you might want to mount the compressor vertically as it is designed to be mounted that way....

Scott La Jolla Audio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There is very little room in the 430 for the compressor mounting! As Frank said, the washer fluid reservoir takes up the entire front. The larger air inlets compared to the 360 make it very tight to mount above the inlets - could squeeze in there without the bracket, but that's it. I was tempted to take out the coolant box since it will NEVER be used...until Jim from Pocono Sportscar suggested mounting behind the trunk.

The steering rack is an ideal spot, easy to get to if needed, mostly protected from road dust. But where it is in the pic won't work due to interference with the trunk wall (has an inset for the tool kit). So the plan is to move it to the left, where it should clear everything. We'll see this weekend!

The compressor can actually be mounted on the side no problem. And being in an easily accessible location, we can add oil every few years just for fun if there's worry of it drying out, etc. Add it to the 5 year major ;)

Also trumpets were mounted in the driver side air inlet together, one bolted to the top and one bolted to the side (after being painted black so they don't stand out). Those fit no problem and were easy to install. The air lines were routed through the existing OEM hole for the horn.

8. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the tip

9. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #34 FJS961, Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for their input and especially UConn Husky for helping with the install. The horn sounds great, like a proper Ferrari. I highly recommend this simple mod for 360/430 owners.

Here is a photo of the compressor mounted vertically, easily accessed in the future if need be.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No problem! She sounded perfect on the drive ;) At least we could drive a bit today, looking pretty rainy tomorrow :(

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice bracket adapter - very innovative!

Since you're mounting to the steering rack and have had it for a while, have the road vibrations caused any issues with securing the bracket mount?

12. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Just a FYI folks. All imported cars into the US from 2000 forward must have a horn in the key of F. The reason is deaf people who have partial hearing can only hear horns in the key of F. This is why when you close your eyes you can not differentiate a horn from a Ferrari, Mazda, Toyota, etc.

I replaced my stock horn on my 360 with a FIAMM factory twin tone air horn (red) and it has that international horn sound we all love so much. I had Moorespeed install it for me here in Austin and yes it's loud and I'm the only 360 in town with this horn. LUV IT!