Air in cooling system | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Air in cooling system

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This is the symptom that confuses me. I read this as saying that the cooling system does not ingest air if you drive at high rpm.

Can you "drive all day" at a low rpm without problems? If not, maybe the water pump has lost efficiency.

If you can "drive all day" at low rpm but can't "idle all day" then it comes back to the fans not providing sufficient cooling when there is no air being rammed through the radiator by motion. (Unfortunately, this is 308 normal vehicle function for many of us.)

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Paul

FWIW - its not the head gasket in my opinion.

I thought so, the superformance thermostat is not the correct type and this is your problem. It doesn't work and you have the same issue I have with fluctuating temperatures. Does it have the large rubber seal on the base of the thermostat? what may be happening is that water is bypassing the thermostat housing because its not the correct type and doesn't make a proper seal on the lower chamber. It has to be the 56mm flange but after weeks of searching I gave up.

I changed mine as a matter of routine last year and immediately noticed something wasn't right, almost identical to what you are experiencing. I plant to refit the old one but that's not planned until spring.

I am yet to speak with SF about this and find out what one they have, most manufacturers don't spec the 308 in there tech manuals so its proving difficult to overcome. I seem to recall someone wrote a excellent article on this very problem but cannot remember who!!

Tony

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    So, two things come to mind. You replaced the fans but I didn't read if they were factory or other.

Fans:
    1. check flow direction. No really. They could be blowing rather than sucking and it's easy to check.,
    2. Bypass the thermal switch and leave them on full speed and check temp creep

Water pump: flow may be low or restricted, impeller or thermostat .

Both or either of those could be the problem as car heats up only when stationary.

Good Luck!

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #29 kcabpilot, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Well, as has become common in politics these days I'm going to "walk that statement back" I did a test drive yesterday, about a ten minute loop from the house in motion the entire time. The gauge never got past the 195 mark, in fact it pretty much hung around a needle past the second mark but as I pulled in the garage I could see the trail and coolant was coming out the overflow. Not because it was hot but because the air had displaced enough in the radiator to overfill the tank.

I did another two block tests before and after that run, both negative. I even checked the block test fluid by just breathing into the tester as I squeezed the bulb and it changed color so it's pretty sensitive stuff and seems to be working.

I bled the radiator and refilled the tank and did another idle test with the heater hose clamped off. Seemed to do better but when the fans came on they stayed on and it kept creeping very slowly upwards and after about 20 minutes coolant started dribbling out the overflow with the gauge a needles width past 195.

Another bleed, another test this time with the manifold bleed line clamped off. A bit better this time still, held at the 195 mark for a long time with fans running but eventually began to very, very slowly creep past when I ran out of time and had to shut down and go to work, scratching my head.

I had been going over my service records and honestly, it may be in there but I don't see a water pump replacement or rebuild mentioned anywhere. I've been doing research on water pumps since before I put the new radiator in and it's really confusing as to what's available out there or even what it is that I currently have on there. So I made the decision to just get one of Nick's pumps from Forza despite the cost. It has a proven record and I have no problem with a part being overkill for my Ferrari. So I called to order one and talked to Nick for ten minutes explaining all that I've been going through and he seemed to be of the mind that I'm just not done bleeding the air out of the system.

I went back and read a bunch more old threads on this subject and see so many people describing the exact same symptoms as what I am experiencing. The problem is that the solutions, or what they ultimately deem to be the solution, are all over the map. A new pressure cap, a new thermostat, a radiator recore, a water pump, a leaking heater core, the heater hose nipple on the head....on and on. Perhaps I should be heartened at least by the fact that I do not see a bevy of people with blown head gaskets.

Anyway, I have two more main line coupler hoses to replace at the thermostat below the plenum and I'm going to install my new water pump on Saturday and see where it goes from there. I wish that Aladdin auto bleeder thing I bought from Clark and Clark actually would work. If it could continuously bleed the air out of the radiator I could just keep topping off the tank after runs until it was all out but for some reason it doesn't seem to do anything. Acts just like the original bleed bolt.

Saabguy - on the fans, they are new Spal low profile shrouded units, I think 9 or 10 inch. They should be perfectly adequate but until I've tested them I'm not making any recommendations. They are spinning the right direction and no need to bypass the switch because when they turn on, at the correct temp, they stay on because they never bring the temp back down to the cutoff point. I also did a test where I put a bug house fan against the nose to supplement them but tit still didn't solve anything. Once I get this air issue sorted out I'll be able to see how they actually perform. I did no modifications that would prevent me from just putting my OEM fans back in although I think I'd have to pull the radiator or the spoiler to get them in there.

Wish me luck guys, thanks for all the feedback, tips and speculations, one of these days I'm gonna lick this thing.

Yo328 likes this.
  5. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I had some trouble getting the air out of my system so I parked the car at an angle in the driveway, nose high. Ran the engine, bled the air, refilled the tank. Voila! Runs great. I learned this trick with my '97 BMW 840Ci. They have the same issue with "burping" the system.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There’s a 109671 in the box on eBay for $349.00 o_O

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    that part is with the Ferrari tax no doubt, I believe the part also fits the Fiat X1/9 + many others which don't incur the extra surcharge!

As birdman suggests, MotoRad do them as well as do Tridon, Beck, Quinton, Gates and Wahler. Just purchased one in the UK for £12.75

Tony

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #34 kcabpilot, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    The one I got from SF is the Wahler.

On a side note I did some research on the Aladdin auto bleeders I got from Clark & Clark. The way they work is there is a hydroscopic washer inside that expands when it contacts water and seals it. So it will never work in this application because as soon as you bleed the radiator and screw it in it's wet and will never function as a vent until it becomes bone dry again. I'm going back to the original bleed screws. I stumbled onto another old thread where people were fabricating a more elaborate auto-bleed system with a float actuated bleeder for home heating radiators but I can't help but think you're starting to create some sort of Rube-Golberg contraption by going down this route. A more elegant solution might be to just plumb the radiator bleed port all the way back to the top of the expansion tank the way it's done in just about every other automotive cooling system I've seen and, from what I've read, the way it's done on the F40 which if I'm not mistaken was the last mid-engined Ferrari model with the radiator located in the nose. Not sure how difficult it would be to fish a 1/4 inch line through the rocker alongside the heater hose and brake booster line though. Probably not easy. Might be a good idea to add a line like that though if you're replacing those hoses in case you ever decide you want to hook it up. It would certainly up the efficiency of the system by completely eliminating the trapped air pocket in the radiator. Another idea I've seen is to just make a bleed screw with a nipple and hose with shut off that I can use to bleed the system as it's running since all of the air seems to eventually get trapped at the top of the radiator. This would be used just to aid in bleeding after refilling the system and would be removed and replaced with the original bleed screw after I'm done.

Anyway, my next step is the water pump which should arrive today. I'll take some pictures.

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Paul, as far as i am aware the SF part is not the correct one albeit its made by Wahler, you need the 4033.82D at 56mm diameter, whilst I don't agree with some of the assumptions Birdman arrives at, it does seem the area where something has gone critically wrong by not using the OEM part.

I don't have air problems as you seem to encounter, mine is just creeping / fluctuating temperatures that you also describe and am pretty sure once I get the right stat that meets the OEM specifications it will cure the problem.

Hopefully the new pump will work, make sure you make a good connection on the small tube that goes to the header tank, under vacuum it can suck in air through a bad joint.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Remember! When these cars were new, they did not require all this bleeding "drama" that exists today. Owners of new 198X 3x8's did not have to take them to the dealer every few weeks/months for bleeding. Therefore this issue is simple. If periodic bleeding is required, THE SYSTEM HAS A LEAK.

Further, air bubbles - from whatever cause - cannot "push" coolant out of the expansion tank. If air is introduced into the system, as soon as the coolant/air gets pushed into the expansion tank, the air will bleed out. My reaction to coolant spilling from the expansion tank is: the system is over-full. When I change coolant in my 328, I usually overfill it it (not intentionally) and it will spit coolant for days until it reaches it's correct level. That level corresponds to being very low when cold. As long as there is ANY coolant in the expansion tank when cold, there is sufficient coolant in the system,

The normal coolant bleeding procedure, as outlined in the manual, is all that is required - no weird parking uphill/jacking the car up/redoing it three times/spinning a dead cat around your head at midnight, etc is necessary. If anything OTHER than normal bleeding, like any other car is required, there is a leak. FIX the leak.

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with all you're saying Mike except this part. If air gets in the system (from whatever source) it's going to get trapped in the radiator because there is no way out. It is then displacing system volume. I've been observing this first hand. I start with the coolant tank about half full, run up to operating temp, shut down, let it cool and when I open the cap the tank is completely full. I then open the bleed on the radiator, air escapes and when coolant starts coming out the level in the expansion tank is back to where it was when I started.

But you are absolutely correct that they didn't spend days or weeks performing elaborate bleeding operations on these things when they rolled off the assembly line and that's why I am methodically going through this problem in an attempt to fix it properly with no modifications to the system as it came from the factory. (outside of a different radiator fans and waterpump, but those are not actually changes to the system design)

13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I have the same issue, have had for years....I keep finding air in the radiator. I recall Rifledriver saying it was very common.

I've checked every connection on the system more times than I can recall , pressure tested it (not that that would necessarily show if it was drawing air in somewhere) and found nothing.

I came to the conclusion that there are too many of us with a similar issue for it to be a coincidence. Maybe they just do that?

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    In reality, the first question to ask re "finding air in the radiator" is, "does it matter?" IOW, if somehow these cars can "generate" air into the cooling system, does it make any difference in cooling? I bleed my 328 per the owner's manual method after changing coolant. There was no "visible" air in the system after bleeding. I have done that 4-5 times over the years. BUT...I have never checked to see if there was air in the system days/weeks/months later. Nor have I ever done so with any other vehicle. So, if there IS some air "available for bleeding," weeks/moths later, it hasn't mattered at all as far as cooling. My car has been in bumper-bumper traffic for over an hour at a time in 108F outside temps and the water temp never went higher than one needle width to the right of 195. At that point the fans activate and the temp immediately drops down to the 180 range.

SO...I admit I have never checked later to find out IF there is any "new" air in the system after the bleed. Maybe there is. At the same time, there has never been any reason for me to check it. IOW, if the cooling system is cooling correctly and we are checking for air JUST to check for air...WHY?

Of course, if the cooling system is NOT cooling properly, that's a different issue entirely which CAN be caused by...lets' call it "excessive air" in the system! Maybe it's not physically possible to remove every last bit of air; and maybe it doesn't matter.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you are getting air in the system it's coming from a source of higher pressure. To me that pretty much means a head gasket. You should at least get one of those test kits to check for combustion gases in the coolant or have someone test it for you. I've owner my 308 for 33 years. Never had to do anything but bleed it when changing the coolant. It's just not that complicated.

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  16. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Block tester. Got one of those too. Gaskets are fine.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You can't tell unless you are testing a hot engine at combustion pressures.

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    John - please read through my entire thread, I have done block tests at least half a dozen times all with negative results. I even ran out of test fluid and had to buy another bottle. I was so skeptical I went so far as to test the test fluid by breathing into the inlet of the test tube while squeezing the bulb and it did indeed change color so I know the stuff works.

How definitive is the block test? Not sure but it seems if that much air is coming from the combustion chamber it should surely set it off. I have tested in pretty much every condition including hot. I hear what you are saying though and struggle myself to figure out how air could possibly get into a closed system that is 16 psi above the pressure of the atmosphere surrounding it.

Mike - this whole thing is not about there being an air pocket in the radiator. This is because my system is not doing what it is supposed to do and is overheating. If it performed normally I wouldn't be here posting and I wouldn't give a hoot how much air was in my radiator.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Paul, Sad that you are suffering, but glad that you are such a thorough diagnostician. You will solve an interesting mystery.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Mike - this whole thing is not about there being an air pocket in the radiator. This is because my system is not doing what it is supposed to do and is overheating. If it performed normally I wouldn't be here posting and I wouldn't give a hoot how much air was in my radiator."

Yes, I realize that; I was responding to some comments re bleeding and got carried away. Frankly, it sounds to me like you've done all the pertinent tests that I can think of. You mentioned a new radiator and other new parts so I ASSUME (?) that was due to the cooling problem, is that correct? IOW, the car was overheating before and the parts replacement was in the effort to solve it, which has been unsuccessful so far, right? Did the car ever cool with no issues under the same circumstances that it now does not? Obviously, as noted, a faulty thermostat could cause a problem if it was not opening fully at the appropriate temp.

BUT your description of air bubbles constantly appearing in the expansion tank clearly shows there is some sort of leak in the system that is forcing gasses in. That doesn't happen in a properly working cooling system. As has been suggested,, the usual suspect for what you are describing is a head gasket BUT your testing has indicated that the gasket is ok and, if I understand correctly, your testing indicates there are no combustion gaskets in the coolant. IOW, the symptoms and the test results seem to me to disagree. Frankly, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else that can cause bubbles to constantly stream into the expansion tank. Do you have to add coolant or does the coolant level remain constant over several days of running when checked with the engine cold each morning?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    One thing I would do which has been mentioned is to put the proper 50/50 coolant in the car. QVs do tend to run hot idling at stand still and with distilled water in it I'm not surprised it over heats. Boiling point is too low. And if you cap is 0.9 bar (12) psi, I'd put a 1. bar cap on it.

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mike - I got the car in Fall of 2016 and there were no problems, it did not overheat. I don't know if there was air in the radiator because frankly, I never checked. This getting hot issue started about six months ago and I have been dealing with it since then. I have put about 9,000 miles on the car since I bought it. I started with a new pressure cap then took a peek in the top of my radiator, this is what I saw. I considered having it recored which you can do, it won't be identical but close enough if you are a stickler for originality.

I opted for the aluminum radiator that Nick sells. Just my choice, a recore would have been just as fine.

Got my new water pump and the old one off - looks fine, no smoking gun here

I was highly relieved however to see that the inside of my engine doesn't look like the inside of my radiator. I was a bit worried about that. I wonder if those scale deposits have anything to do with the fact that there is air up there? Don't even ask me about the debris, I have no idea what that is.

John - the distilled water is just temporary while I troubleshoot. I just drained the system again to do the water pump and believe me it is a heck of a lot easier to deal with four or five gallons of water as opposed to glycol mix. I have a 1.1 bar cap, water at 1 bar boils at 250F and I'm not getting anywhere near that. If it continues to rise above the 195 mark with the fans running I abort, no need to go any further.

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the plenum to get at the other two main line hoses that connect to the thermostat housing. I will inspect and possibly replace the bleed hose as well when I'm in there.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Are the fans running at the proper RPM? Maybe a poor electrical connection is causing them to run slower than they should...

I know this will sound bad but if it didn't overheat with the old radiator and it DOES with the new radiator and everything else is the same... well, that - in my mind at least - points strongly to the radiator itself as the problem. Do you still have the old Rad? I know it's a PITA but if you do why not swap them and see what happens. Since you are running plain water for this testing (Great Idea) you don't have to deal with the coolant mix while you do all this futzing around.

However, I still can't correlate any of this with the bubbles streaming into the expansion tank... :(

24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No Mike, it DID overheat with the old radiator, that's what started this whole thing. As for bubbles in the stream - yea well let's walk that one back a bit too, I'm not so sure. There certainly were when I first started it but bear in mind I had this entire thing apart, I replaced every hose in the main lines except the two under the plenum that I am doing now so it was completely empty and I expected there to be some air trapped in the system but that is what that stream into the expansion tank is for, it's the air bleed line at the top of the coolant manifold that rises up from the heads. Bubbles, at least when I first ran it, are simply an indication it's doing it's job. The problem is there is no bleed circuit for the radiator, there is a bleed port but it's closed so unless you remove the screw the air that makes it up there is trapped.

Anyway, I'm glad I pulled the water pump. If you look at the bolts in the picture you can see they are badly rusted. I think whoever did the water pump service last maybe thought it would be a good idea to clean the bolts up with a wire brush which unfortunately removed all of the plating so they had no corrosion protection. Another year or two and they might have begun damaging the housing or even the block. So I'm looking for a set of M8x1.25x70mm bolts online now. I'm also seeing what looks like possible leakage around the hose to the lower port on the housing which is the water pump suction side.

Maybe I'm on to something, we'll see...

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul