Air in cooling system | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Air in cooling system

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #51 johnk..., Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    [
    So it's been over heating for 6 months. You have replaced almost every element of the cooling system, there are no coolant leaks, and it still over heats and you get air in the radiator. I'm still going with a leaking head gasket. I hope it's not, but with what has been posted that seems most likely.

Block tests are always conclusive, especially if you checked at the expansion tank. A better place to test would be to draw vapor from where the air is accumulating, the radiator, at the bleed cock. Cooling system pressure tests aren't conclusive regarding a head gasket either since the pressure is too low.

Now excuse me while make a friendly rag on you about using distilled water. I understand it is temporary, but distilled water doesn't have the correct thermal properties and will boil around hot spots (like in the heads around the exhaust valves) at a lower temperature than coolant. As I pointed out, in my car, and as other here have reported, with proper coolant, the difference between pissing coolant out the overflow and not pissing any out with the car idling or shut off hot can be changed by going from a 12 psi cap to a 16 psi cap. That change yields only an 8 degree F increase in boiling point of 50/50 coolant from 259 to 267F. But it is enough to stop the coolant at the hot spots in the engine from boiling once the car is shut off, or even at idle. On the other hand, distilled water with at 16 psi cap will boil at 242F, some 25 degrees lower. So it is not unreasonable that a QV may overheat at idle with distilled water it. This has been brought up before but you seem hell bend on ignoring it.

Doesn't look like a problem. Looks like a little corrosion. I notice that it is to the outside of the clamp. Probably the result of atmospheric moisture getting between the hose and the aluminum. You have already said there are no leaks. But what is this reddish deposit on the belt cover?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The new pump will be more efficient. It may help keep the temperature down. But it won't address the accumulation of air in the radiator. (Or is that a red herring?)

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Well ****. What I supposed to do with this cat? I was ready to go for tonight. you guys are no fun.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    From https://www.thoughtco.com/signs-of-a-blown-head-gasket-4148136

I hope you new hose turns out to fix the problem, but.....

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Update: I'll have to admit up front that the idea of air getting sucked into the system through a hose connection never sat well with me as my feeble understanding of basic physics just told me that it simply was not possible. But I had to first eliminate all possibilities before moving on. With new water pump installed I noted first off that while I had drained about 4 1/2 gallons of coolant I was only able to pour in 3 1/2 gallons before steady streams were coming out of both the radiator and the thermostat bleeders. I know it is claimed that this is all that is necessary but I had to do several test drives and bleeds to get to the point where I had put the proper amount of coolant in. The manual says the capacity is 18 liters. With each test drive the system behaved more and more like it should. No more wild swings on the gauge, no more running cold in cruise and hot at idle. From a cold start the temperature would steadily rise to just under the 195 mark and stay there. At idle it would rise slightly above, the fans would turn on and after about a minute they would cycle off. No coolant was being ejected through the overflow. So I'm confident that what I have in regards to radiator, fans, thermostat and waterpump is all good.

However, after each run I was still finding air in the radiator. Again, some people say that's normal but I don't think so. If I didn't bleed it out after each run the system would again start acting as it did before so I've decided to move on to the next phase to include examining the inside of the cylinders with a borescope, do a compression and leak down test on all cylinders and do a check of ignition and cam timing.

But at step #1 this is what I saw. These clean spots were at the top and bottom of pistons 1-4. My scope is rigid and won't fit into the 5-6 bank but I do have another flexible one that might work. Anyway, to me, this seems to be a clear indication of head gasket failure - my "smoking gun" so to speak. I have not checked the torque yet but I think that at this point it doesn't really matter unless someone thinks that re-torquing the head might cure it. The car has 59,896 miles on it so I really don't have a problem doing a complete engine out service on it, it's something I have been planning for anyway and I have pretty much everything I need to do it other than the torque adapter. If someone could give me the dimensions I could easily make one for far less than the $200 they want for one.

Anyway, here is one of the shots. What do you guys think?

5. dougelam

dougelam Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Looks like it is getting steam cleaned to me!

You're very fortunate that the repair is part of the future maintenance plans that you have in mind

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Question for anyone who might know: would this 15 mm deep offset box end work on head studs on a QV? AW Italian has the tool for $90 but honestly it just looks like a sawed off wrench with a 3/8 inch extension welded to it. So long as I know the center to center offset for the torque conversion there's not much to it.

7. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I recommend buying the tool. You may be able to make one, but you need the correct tool to re-torque the heads properly. It is a very tight fit even with the correct tool.

dougelam likes this.
  8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Buy the correct tool. It is not $200 but $95 from Ricambi America and as others have said the fit is pretty precise. If you are looking at a head gasket job the cost of the tool should be a frictional worry. If you really want it out of your life when done you should easily be able to get $50 for it in no time flat making your outlay less than $50. Even with all the fab tools at my disposal I'd buy the right tool for the job especially when head torque is a stake.

dougelam likes this.
  9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Okay I guess that's settled, placing order with Ricambi now. I think I was just looking for an excuse to break out the welder ;)

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I managed, with some difficulty, to snake my flexible borescope into the # 5 cylinder and observed the same thing as on the 1-4 bank. Man it's tight working up there with the plenum and rear hatch still on. I'll confess that, although I do have experience doing complete engine overhauls (mostly Alfa 4 and V6 engines)
    I've never worked on a 4 valve motor but I can't imagine that this is normal. I'm searching now for some pictures of disassembled QV engines and I'm pretty certain that the entire piston crown is going to be coated with carbon deposits.

I don't know what the 30,000 mile major service is supposed to entail but perhaps re-torquing the heads is part of it and this wasn't done? I have all of the service records for the car and although the bills are there my observations have been that maybe some stuff got pencil whipped if you know what I mean. The only reason I'm saying this is because it seems that this wasn't really a failure of the head gaskets as much as possibly inadequate torque on the heads because it is universally across all cylinders rather than just one spot. I would add also that there has been no indications of oil/coolant mixing so this seems to be a breach at the compression seals only.

I briefly pondered the idea of maybe re-torquing the heads and see if I get lucky but honestly that's not my style plus this is a beautiful car and deserves better so I think I'm just going to jump in with both feet and get it done right. Wish me luck, I've read stories about difficulties getting these heads off. BTDT with Alfas before and it's no fun.

sten likes this.
  11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If the car is not over heating now I would drive it a number of times without bleeding the radiator after each drive. If you are truly getting air into the system eventually you should see coolant expelled from the over flow. If that is the case it would tend to confirm a head gasket problem. But that you are seeing the same pattern on all the pistons you looked at with the borescope seems odd in the sense that it would seem unusual for both head gaskets to be leaking for all (at least 1-5) cylinders in the same way.

Nuvolari and dougelam like this.
  12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    There is a possibility depending on the year the intake manifold is leaking. The intake to head gasket on some years seal a water passageway..... just saying. .....

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The Techron in the gasoline is doing its job?

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Techron only does that in Techron's ads. ;)

15. dougelam

dougelam Rookie

May 6, 2009
    Correct!
    That's why you need to use Techron concentrate plus

16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yike! I didn't mean to start an opinion war regarding fuel additives! Lets get back to Paul's problem!

17. dougelam

dougelam Rookie

May 6, 2009
    No worries, you are correct
    a good topic but for another thread

Remember to look for the plus to get the good stuff tho

18. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Can you expand on that - any clues as to which years/engines? Is that on both heads & beside which ports?

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at diagrams and pictures of intakes I would guess the 2 valve injected GTBi and GTSi as it appears the coolant out of the heads passes through the intake to head gaskets between the 2-4 and 6-7 cylinders. Not so on the QV.

20. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Finally got around to doing complete compression and leakdown tests. Cylinder #4 appears to be the culprit, during the leakdown I could hear the air bubbling into the coolant. A couple of friends came over last night and helped me get the deck lid off and I'm starting to make a list of what I want to do while the engine is out.

First up I need to decide on head gaskets - Elring or Cometic. Cometic is a MLS gasket.

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As the originator of this thread I guess I'll just continue for those who may be interested in my findings. Here are the results of the compression tests:

Static - cold engine, the first number is dry, the second number is after putting about an oz of oil in the cylinders.
    #1 - 165/205 #2 - 160/195 #3 - 170/197 #4 - 155/170 #5 - 180/230 #6 - 160/200 #7 - 160/220 #8 - 170/200

Leak down test. at 100 psi Only on #4 could I hear bubbling in the expansion tank, I left each cylinder under pressure for five minutes.
    #1 - 95/100 #2 - 93/100 #3 - 96/100 #4 - 83/100 #5 - 97/100 #6 - 91/100 #7 - 98/100 #8 - 95/100

I again briefly considered trying to re-torque the 1-4 head but decided against it. The reason is that on all but two of the cylinders I could hear some leakage through the intake valves so it just makes sense at this point to go through the whole process, clean up the valves, replace the cam and guide seals, get all of the clearances right and get rid of those exhaust manifold sampling tubes that look like a time bomb waiting to go off. On the question of new gaskets, looks like Elring is the choice, Cometic are not suitable for stock engines.

I'll try to keep this thread updated, plan is to start on it next weekend, at least get everything disconnected and ready then throw an engine pull party.

ME308 and Aus_yz like this.
  23. 63acornwall

63acornwall Rookie

Sep 8, 2015
    Thanks for posting , and well done with the detective work too !

24. Choice

Choice Rookie

May 15, 2010
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter Hobson
    Can I put my two pennorth (cents!) worth on the subject.

I have a 1980 UK 308GTS. The water loss was excessive and basically out of control when I purchased the car, nothing would stabilize it for any length
    of time. My findings may be of interest and are as follows:-

The small 'vent line' connection, from engine to header tank, did not continue, with a metal pipe, into the lower part of the header tank where the coolant
    air/water mix could effectively de-aerate. The 'mix' was free to fall into the header tank where the inlet connection was soldered onto the top of the tank.

The result is, that when the engine is switched off, the pressure cap opens up the vacuum valve (as normal) as the coolant cools down. As the vent line
    is not immersed in coolant the vent line draws 'AIR'! back down the vent line instead of coolant!

I fitted a small diameter polypropylene tube through the vent line connection and directed it into the far corner of the Header Tank, as far from the large
    'make up line' to the water pump as possible.. ( In order to allow de-aeration of the air/coolant mix away from the suction of the make up line)

Instant result - just at the level Ferrari marked on the header tank.!!! - No more water loss, and, with a stable water level when cold.

Every time I bleed the radiator top tank all I get is coolant out of it. This is known as a result.

I hope this helps some of you to investigate if you have a "Friday afternoon" header tank where someone declined to do the job properly.

lm2504me likes this.
  25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW. from what I can observe, the expansion tank on my 328 does not have a tube going down into the tank at that fitting. I can see that easily with the engine running, the water stream shoot straight across the top of the tank. Are you saying that some expansion tanks had an "L" at the fitting that extended a tube down into the coolant and that the presence or absence of that "L" was a Ferrari factory error or error of the company producing the expansion tank as opposed to being the original design?