Air in cooling system | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Air in cooling system

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choice

Choice Rookie

May 15, 2010
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Peter Hobson
    mike996, re your post, just letting off steam to be honest, after a protracted period going through all the items in the cooling system etc, like everyone on here.
    I am specifically talking about the 308GTS, which has a smaller header tank system than the later cars, but, my findings might just help others to better understand
    what might be happening to their pride and joy.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Ah! gotcha. I've updated an earlier thread of mine on this same subject...

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The tank on my '83 has no tube, just shoots straight out like Mike's. A simple test however is to start knowing there is no air in the radiator by opening the bleed bolt. Run the engine up to temperature then check for air in the radiator again while it's still hot. That would eliminate the notion that it was somehow getting pulled in while cooling down. In order to do this you need to have a drilled radiator bleed bolt. You can get one from either Unobtainium or Superformance or you can drill your own. That way you just need to loosen it to check for or bleed out any air.

As an update to my own thread I have everything disconnected and the engine is getting pulled out on Saturday. FWIW this isn't such a bad thing as I've found that at 60,000 miles the back sides of the intake vales are pretty coked up, all the cam shaft seals and distributor seals are weeping oil, most of the exhaust donuts were shot, there was a broken support bracket on the muffler and all of the sniffer tube connections on the manifolds are completely rusted away and close to failure. So, after 35 years it's about time for a major engine out service anyway. So far things have been coming apart pretty well, struggled a bit with the axles and busted one of my 8 mm Allen wrenches. 'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Really it's ready, all you guys have to do is help me guide it out.......

5. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Subscribed. Congrats on getting it on the stand. Interested to see the why you are there with this refresh.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    StuR likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
  8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And correspondingly on the gasket. Also noted that the faces of the valves are a distinctly different color than all of the others.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Glad you got the heads off without a big battle. You are making this look too easy!

10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Engine cleaned up nicely. Did you power wash it?

11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It is possible to pull the engine out by yourself :) But it always nice to have help. From the pictures, it looks like you found your culprit. What do you intend to do about the block or liner, if anything? I thought you posted something about overhauling the heads (I would). Also, check all the springs, I have seen them go soft. keep us posted.

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Paul could have pulled it himself. We just showed up. He was kind enough to buy us a nice lunch afterward.:)

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    cleaning carbon off piston crowns - WD-40 and ScotchBrite

Removing studs (40) and getting heads ready for machine shop. Still need to remove all valves

Close to the nadir, seems like my Ferrari is now in about a billion pieces

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Looks great! British flag not withstanding there are no English cars, obvious, no oil stains on floor. ;-)

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ha, ha actually I have a Land Rover that for some mysterious reason has never leaked a drop of oil. Maybe I should check to see if there's any in there.

16. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I’d check it still had a land rover engine too!!! That’s a unique beast if it’s sealed up and has oil. Great work... mine is all in bits waiting for a rainy day / kids to leave home or be able to spanner!!! You’ve inspired me to at least restart the chassis / cradle work I began! Looking forward to the rest of your rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I vote for radiator clogged with rubber bits, from hoses going bad from inside out.

Birdman hit that problem going to Canada once, no external indicators it was happening...

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Make a note of where the different length studs go!

19. Srtviper

Srtviper Karting

Sep 6, 2016
  20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #96 kcabpilot, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    thorn likes this.
  21. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Where did you get your valve spring compressor? Nice tool!

22. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Working through some of the pita stuff. Scraping these gaskets off the intake sides is very tedious. The gasket remover stuff you get these days is virtually worthless, you could probably spray it on your salad and you'd be okay eating it.

Here's a complete waste of space but I'd have to move out of state to get rid of them. I found my best course of action, after twisting one of them off was to just cut them with a hacksaw then work them apart on the bench instead of on the head. When you cut them you have a known situation and an easy, clean joint to weld when you put them back together.

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dropped my heads off at the machine shop. There are two V-12's and a Dino engine ahead of me so it's going to be 3 or 4 weeks. In the meantime I'm on vacation and going to Le Mans to experience the 24 hr race. I also have some engine out chassis projects to take care of such as replacing the long heater and brake booster hoses in the left rocker, rebuild starter and alternator, axle CV joints and replace shift shaft seals. That will keep me busy for the next month at least.