Air Injection Modification For Sound? | FerrariChat

Air Injection Modification For Sound?

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Nov 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys I have a 92 348 TS completely stock. For those of you that still have your stock exhaust I'm sure you notice on initial cold start up for the first few minutes it sounds throaty and awesome! Then after a couple of minutes the air injection turns off and then it reverts back to a very plain muffled sound but I absolutely love the sound on initial an initial start up. I was wondering what the consequences would be to rigging the air injection to stay on full time? My understanding is the purpose of the air injection is too rapidly heat up the cats for emissions but would there be any adverse consequence to have in the air injection on full time? I guess you might be driving around with glowing red cats but I would think the only consequence might be is you could burn up your O2 sensors but then again they are designed to run and extremely high temperatures. Please don't jump on me but any advice would be appreciated!

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well it would introduce air post burn and the O2 function is to regulate A/F so unless I am missing something the car would run rich?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ohh rhinkinf out loud i think it works when cold because the ECU is running open loop. once its closed loop iand the selenoids ahut it off it would cause problems trying to regulate proper af I suspect?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wouldn't this trigger your SLOW DOWN lights?

5. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yeah I think it's a stupid idea I think it would run way way too hot and mess things up but it sounds so, so good! My neighbors even comment how awesome it sounds and then it abruptly shuts off!

6. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    High flow cats and a Serie Speciale muffler. 'Nuf said.