Air suspension advicesfor A F355? | FerrariChat

Air suspension advicesfor A F355?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by radback, Oct 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Hi,
    First, to be clear, I don't intend to drop my car on the ground with crazy negative camber, but I would like to fit an air suspension to my F355 because of my terrible parking ramp and the so many huge speed bumps around my neighborhood.
    I'm scratching my front bumper and my underside plates every time I'm taking out my car. Everytime!
    The original coilovers are already at a high position, and I would love to have a medium lowered car and still be able to get on my crazy parking ramp.

So, not many options for me: air suspension is the solution.

There are few sets available for a 355, and the Prazis airstruts seems to me the best price/quality choice.

Now, what about air management? And tank?
    I've heard airlift is not that reliable.
    Accuair products retain my attention with an Endo VT tank and their management system.

Any constructive advice is welcome (please don't wasting your time to tell me I'm an heretic to fit air suspension to a Ferrari).
    Thank you.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    KW offers a hydraulic lift kit compatible with some OEM applications. Perhaps inquire with them?
    KW Suspensions

HLS 2 UPGRADE FOR OE SUSPENSION
    Part #: 19210688
    UOM: Kit
    Availability: Please call for availability.

Your Price: $5,939.00

3. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Thanks. I know this KW HLS2 kit, but it is not available for the 355 and anyway it is very expensive for just a front lift.

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    The lift kit will fit your 355 just used the hydraulics on your existing from shocks. You will need to lower the shock perches to make room for the hydraulic puck, and if you thing that expensive air suspension will be more and the car will be ruined.

f355spider and Shorn355 like this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So just so I am clear - You want a cheap solution for a lowered/modified 355 to get over speed bumps and parking ramps - Yes?

windsock likes this.
  6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    From personnal experience even a simple customisation ends up in lots of personnal R&D (read: trial and error) on a Ferrari. So be ready to assemble and disasemble quite a few times before it actually works.

7. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    There is not such a thing as a cheap solution. You know that.
    But I'd rather spend $5000 on a full air suspension system than just on front lift hydraulic solution, yes.

Again, if you think air suspension has nothing to do on a Ferrari please don't post here, you're wasting your time and mine.
    Thank you.

8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What I think is irrelevant - Frankly I don't care if you put a jet engine in it and wings - its not my car. I was just trying to clarify what you are trying to accomplish (which I believe is mitigating a clearance issue on a modified/lowered 1990s exotic) and based on your comment that the suggested front lift option was "very expensive" it seemed cost was a factor.

I have been around Ferrari's for a long time and specifically 355s as that was my dream car I finally obtained but spend years sorting through them and learning about them before the perfect one came along and having owned it for 11 years the education never stops - so while I am by no means an expert I do have at least some familiarity with them. To my knowledge I have never heard of or seen anyone install an air suspension system on a 355 so I can't be much help.

Give the insanely deep and vast pool of knowledge and experience on FChat with regard to 355s - everyone from pristine, Classiche-certified, nut and bolt restorations to tear it apart - race it - modify it - tear it apart again - race it - repeat and every combination in between I think it is telling that you have had one potential solution (front lift) offered and one simple advisement. You might consider posting this in the 355 section and perhaps get more input.

Good luck - Cheers :)

9. radback

radback Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2020
    France
    Thanks.
    thought, as it isn't common to do this on this brand of car, that I would have more answers here than on the 355 specific section.
    The clearance issue is on a stock height car (as I said the coilovers are set high on my car) . The streets around me are full of bump stops spaced every 20 meters! (an old lady on a bicycle can go faster than me because of them; no kidding). And I should post a video of my parking ramp: it's a nightmare.
    I love low cars, but if I could avoid spending around $5000 for an air suspension I would.