Airbag light with Scuderia seats in standard F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Airbag light with Scuderia seats in standard F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by George in NH, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Since the heat/power can be left unplugged couldn't the seatbelt receptacles be moved from the stock seats to the sport/Scud seats leaving only the occupancy sensors to deal with? If so does anyone know how to make the rigs like we used to use in M3 track cars to "trick" the computer into thinking someone was sitting there? It means both airbags would pop regardless of having a passenger or not but that sure beats no airbags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. George in NH

George in NH Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2013
    #27 George in NH, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    So, Euro Scuds. do not have the CPOD? I should start looking :)

Not sure if I mentioned this at all, but I'm waiting to hear back from the guy I bought the Scud interior from. He has all the wiring harnesses from that car. I assume that if I swap out my F430 CPOD harness for the one from the Scud (which also provided my seats and airbag ecu), my problem will be solved? That is assuming that the Scud CPOD harness plugs into the main harness and isn't hardwired into it.

4. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh, and what happens if you have seat airbags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    Not sure about other years, etc., but my car, an '07, didn't have them.

6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That will be perfect. The Scuderia and F430 share the same body loom colours so if you can get a match to the seat you are set.

Simon, per chance?

7. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    So the Scuderia has a different harness coming off the main loom and goes to the passenger seat? Do you have any info that might help my friend in his search for this part of the harness? Evidently, he has the entire wiring harness from that Scuderia. It plugs into the harness that comes off of the airbag ecu, right?

I'll PM you with the answer to your other question.

8. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi Mark

Unfortunately, I answered my own question. I just removed the seats and center console to get another look at the wiring harness. Sadly, the under-seat harnesses are hardwired into the central loom. I was expecting a connector so that the under-seat harnesses could be swapped out depending on whether the car was a standard F430 or a Scuderia. I assume this means that my only option is to change the connector on the car to match the seat, or vice versa? Or, does this mean all central wiring harnesses are the same and the car will communicate with the seat once they're connected?

I tried looking for the wiring diagram for the Sparco seat, but haven't had any luck. Have you?

I'm soooo frustrated :-(

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello George,
    Yes, afraid everything is combined into the tunnel portion of the loom so the two approaches you describe are the only way. The wiring back to the airbag ECU is the same - positive, negative, and a sense wire.

I can't find a diagram for the Sparco seat so the best way forward is to get a photo of the Scuderia body side loom plug with wiring colours - that way, you can wire up the seat (colours on the F430 and Scuderia body loom are the same).

Mark

10. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    Hi Mark

Thanks for all your help!

Yeah, I spent a couple of hours looking for a wiring diagram for the Sparco seat without any luck. Looks like my only option will be to ... like you said....get a photo of the body side Scuderia plug and match up the wires. I was really hoping that the pigtail from the loom to the seat would have a connector, that way I could unplug one and swap in the other. No such luck, I guess. Now all I need is a Scuderia owner to photograph his connector for me. Yeah, I know, that sounds kind of weird, hahaha.

11. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    What year is your F430? I'm about to do this for mine (assembly date 2/07).

12. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    It's an '07.

There's a guy in this thread who has the Scud. seats wired in and doesn't have the airbag light. So hopefully it's just a matter of deciphering the seat harness and wiring in the correct connector...and then hopefully the SD3 says everyone is communicating properly and shuts off that damn light. I'm waiting for a spot to open up at my mechanic and hopefully put this nightmare to bed.

Keep us all posted!

13. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Has anyone figured this out?

14. George in NH

Oct 11, 2013
    The plug on the seat has to be changed to one that matches the one on the car. Then the seat wiring has to be deciphered to correspond to the car. An SD3 is needed to confirm the seat and car are communicating and then the light will go out.

15. Doug2D

Doug2D Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Heads up for anyone reading this thread. (For reference, I swapped out my F430 seats with 458 CF seats from Europe).

Thanks to Mark, I ordered the European Scuderia Airbag ECU (part # 216005, about $250 shipped for used) and swapped it and my airbag light was gone. Way easier than deciphering wiring harnesses etc.

16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent - glad it worked.

17. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    the part number you posted for the airbag ecu is it for the scuderia only ?

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No - the airbag ECU is not model variant specific but there are different ECUs for different option configurations e.g. passenger airbag disable switch.

19. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    Ok got you so I have a 2007 f430 coupe that has an airbag light on because if a bad cpod sensor what you're saying is if I replace the airbag ECU with the euro ecu 216005 it will no longer trigger a light because that ecu does not have the cpod sensor feature built in but all the other airbags would still be functional ?

20. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, that's right, though make sure to get the non-CPOD version to suit passenger airbag off switch or not.

21. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    Ok so I have the airbag on/off switch that I can use my key to turn on or off what ecu should I get then ? Is that different than the one you recommended earlier.. hopefully not being too confusing here

22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I virtually guarantee they will be the same hardware, likely to be cheaper to just reflash the eeprom and possibly flash in the airbag ecu. Hasn't anyone looked into this yet?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes - check on Eurospares to get the right part for your configuration. You'll need non-COPD and airbag off switch.

24. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey George in NH,
    If all else fails I'll trade you my Daytona seats?

25. beefyhead

beefyhead Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    andre willis
    Lol I have daytona seats just think my sensor went bad in the passenger seat .

Mwstewart for the record what's the year and model of your car I found the part #you used and it says euro only which is what I need ...what I don't get is why do I need airbag on and off switch there is on already one mounted to side of my dashboard that requires me to use the key and I can shut it off however because the sensor is not being read in the ECU it still triggers the light btw George I live in NH AS WELL ☺️good to know there is someone local on here