Airbox stencil wanted | FerrariChat

Airbox stencil wanted

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alert1, Sep 8, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    The Ferrari lettering on the airbox of my 328 is rubbing off. I'd like to touch it up so I'm looking for a stencil. The only one I've found is on ebay and I got outbid $0.68 after waiting a week.

All I want to do is buy the stencil, not waste weeks getting nickel-and-dimed by some ebay seller. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I had the same thing happen to me. I emailed the seller and he recommended to just keep bidding! Maybe a secondary market for this will emerge.

3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Try italiancarparts.com they do complete restored air box they may do the stencil on it's own ???

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I think that they are happy charging US$115 to do the stenciling for you.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    The guy who sells these on E-bay sells them one at a time. As soon as one is sold he'll put another up. Don't get mugged - some poor soul paid him over $100 for one of these a couple of months ago.

If you look at the last few auctions you'll see the user names of who's been bidding (and not won) the last three or four. Suggest you contact them & suggest that you'll allow each other a clear run & take it in turns to win the auction.

Just put the starting bid in & if someone else comes & outbids you just wait for the next one. Tedious, but its the only way. The seller wont just sell these outside of the auction - I asked!

I.

6. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    Yes, thanks... $115... and the stencil kit is $16! Anyone have a stencil they want to rent??

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    He's probably selling vinyl stencils made from the graphic that Verell and I created. If you've got a local vinyl sign shop, find out what kind of graphics software they can import (CorelDraw, Illustrator) and have them cut a vinyl mask for you that you can paint through (they'll "weed" it as a stencil negative to paint through rather than as a positive sign decal). I pay $5 for similar stuff when I have it cut for my helmet painting work. They'll probably charge you $10-$15 max.

After you talk to them, PM me and I'll email you the vector file in the appropriate format.

8. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    I'll be traveling for a day or so... how much will you charge me to make the finished product that I can use??

9. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Put me down for one stencil please if you can do cheers riz in oz

10. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    It is a pretty decent stencil on EBAY- i think it was less then $25 with shipping. Just use esnipe.com or something to buy one.

11. Gunslinger7976

Dec 28, 2003
    This sounds like way too easy to make. My brother inlaw works in a sign shop and I'm sure he can make these easy enough. If anyone is interested, I'm sure I can get this made with a little help towards the layout. If Verell wants to share the graphic they made I bet I can get what everyone needs.
    Cost? How about shipping cost and if enough people are interested we may need to buy the material for the stencil.

Send me an e mail if your interested....
    [email protected]

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Excellent... I didn't want to get into the business of creating them complete, but I'm GLAD to provide the graphic. Talk to your brother-in-law and find out if he can use CorelDraw native files (and which version) or if he needs a different format.

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    FYI - I bought the Ebay stencil recently. Its a quality stencil, but comes in TWO parts.

Anyone want to share what paint finishes for crinkle-black and white they used?

14. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    #14 PWehmer, Sep 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It took me a couple tries to get a good result. If you don't like it just respray the black and try again.

I repainted the cover with paint for outdoor grills. Found it at Wal-Mart and it had a texture and color that matched the existing cover well.

For the white i used several coats of regular spray white. If you have an airbrush it would work better.

You have to trim the stencil down a lot but don't cut away all the alignment marks for the two parts. After that I ended up using various sockets and fishing lures to press the stencil down on the surface. If you leave a gap it leaves a fuzzy edge.

It's not a perfect result but for the cost i'm happy with it. Maybe spending $115 for Italian Car Parts to redo it gets you perfection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    I have a vinyl graphics cutter for our racing cars. Just send me the file and I'll cut a stencil for you. Just pay for the shipping and try it out, if it works maybe I'll quit neurosurgery and go into the business. All I need is the graphics file and the complete dimensions of the logo.
    Paul
    [email protected]

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Paul, can you use a CorelDraw file? I have it as one-to-one size in that vector format, but I can export it as others... just let me know.

17. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Probably should work, send it along and I'll give it a try.

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hmm,
    Wonder if you could use rubber cement to hold the stencil down. The stensil should peel off of the cement, & the cement would clean up easily with mineral spirits after the white was dry...

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you have a sign-cutter create the stencil, the vinyl will have a "tack" to it, so it will hold itself down, giving you a very sharp edge to the lettering, and you peel it off afterwards. However, that setup generally gives you just a one-time use.

20. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Like I mentioned in my post I'd be happy to cut the stencil. And yes the back of the vinyl is very sticky and adheres well. I usually just cut as many as I need. One way to get multiple uses is to sprinkle talcum power over the adhesive to negate the stick but then you would need rubber cement or spray contact cement 3M 77 on the stencil and let it dry with a mild tack.

The vinyl cutter works great. I made a set of CF sills for my 348 and used the Ferrari logo in red then covered with 5 coats of urethane. Looks good, check them out on my son's site. http://synapsemotorsport.com/

Unfortunately I have a 348 and don't have the file for a 328. Someone mentioned they had the file in Corel Draw which should work. I'm willing to give it a try at no charge. Just someone send the file.
    Paul

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I'll do it. Look for an email and/or a PM.

22. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    Well I got the file and ran a few off last night. Weeding out all the small pieces took forever. In the middle of all that I thought why not just place a vinyl graphic down and clear coat. So for anyone who wants one send me an email and I'll send out the vinyl stencil and also the white vinyl graphic. Its all free, just my way of saying thanks to all the great info I've gotten from the forum.
    Note: I'm going to let you have the pleasure of weeding the stencil.

Paul

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Paul,
    You've got eMAIL.

BTW,
    That artwork is a vectorized clean-up of my car's airbox cover graphic. A couple of years ago I scanned my cover in, & Mike Charness did a great job of converting it from a fuzzy edged .JPG to the crisp Corel Draw file. At this point it's more his contribution than mine.

I've been putting off re-doing my cover until I could get a stencil made so your kindness is greatly appreciated!

BTW, The airbox cover is a fine grained wrinkle black. How well would clearing down a vinyl transfer work on wrinkle paint/powdercoating?

24. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Paul

You have PM.

Thanks

Milton

25. Wildcatfans

Wildcatfans Karting