Aircon water on your feet | FerrariChat

Aircon water on your feet

Discussion in '308/328' started by Portofino, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Brake dust

Won two trophies, some oil and wine .
    Other Italian competition

Another GT 4 , our prizes .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hi , guys 77 GT4 so assume same Aircon system as 308 series .
    It works fine I re gassed it before bringing the car to Switzerland.I,ve been competing in a a tough alpine classic car rally and noticed ......

Firstly on tight hairpins ( accent and decent ) a funny fan noise as if the blade were hitting something ......
    Secondly actually water tipping out ( after an hour or so ) from under the two centre vents or lateral .
    We had to place a towel and the radio spontaneously turned on .
    First day was 300 km of time trails I ended up disconnecting the radio to cut its power .
    Anyhow after day two the foot well carpets were wet .

There is thread on here ...... something about” insulation breaking down “ inside the pan and humid air condensation forming ....something along those lines ??
    You have to just live with it .

I did run a piece of bush whacker line up the pipe under the front valance , which I assume is the AC drain .
    That drain drains as well when the car is parked like any other car it does not appear blocked .

Do what’s to be done ?
    Is it a restriction of the main drain ?
    Does the pan under the dash where the cold matrix sit need a modification?

Anybody removed the dash pan ?

Any suggestions great fully recommended- except drive on flat roads with the AC off .

2. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I have some experience with this on my 1975 GT4... the drip pan tray has shallow walls around the edges, and when I back down my driveway it likes to pee on my wife's feet.

It doesn't look like there are any easy mods to the drip pan that will fix the problem, so I basically keep a spare towel in the passenger footwell. It's a nuisance, but the pan usually drains okay when the car is level. If humidity is high the tray can accumulate enough to slosh out during hard turns.

My bigger frustration is the exceptional Italian A/C system... my nipples have ice cycles on them and my back is sweating like crazy. I guess we could move to California where the weather is more accommodating, but my paycheck is here in Texas. :)

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont know the evaporator but i do know that the drain from the trays can get blocked up on any ac plant. You might want to try blowing a gentle stream of compressed air up the drain line.
    Also after time the tray may be half full of dirt after so many years so the water is coming over the tray edge rather than down the drain.
    Think about fitting an extra drain or spraying a solution of washing up liquid and hot water onto the evaporator to try and wash the tray clean(all assuming you dont have to take it to bits)
    Dont use any caustic soda based cleaners as it will eat the aluminum and you get a load of white toxic fumes

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Probably a cracked evaporator housing. Like on my car. When I rebuilt my A/C I removed the evaporator and repaired the housing with GRP. A quick fix -though a hack job-would be looking for any cracks on the lower edges and repairing it with any kind of sealant.
    Other possibility is a leaking seam of the two part housing.

Best from Germany
    martin

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I have also found the drain hole/hose not enough for the water to drain and the water blows out the lower air hose joint. Also a super high condensation in the air vent will produce water.... just saying.....

7. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Resurrecting this thread the cars in the U.K. now so today I investigated this wet feet thing particularly for the wife’s shoe benefit.
    Was planing on drilling a hole and creating my own drain .......attaching a pipe at the low point and running out somewhere??

Peel back the carpet and remove the metal foot rest ( 4 screws ) .
    Behind that low and behold at the bottom corner of the plastic drain / AC housing is a drain already there.Yippee !
    It’s that rubber pipe that exits through the removable alloy inspection plate under the front end .
    This is it’s other end .

Still a bit of damp on this side .The unit is mostly on the passenger side on LHD , hence wife’s feet got wet the most !

There it is fixed with a copiglia band , so I had to cut it off .

Here it is detached .I used strimmer cord , wire and compressed air to clear both the exit pipe and of corse up into the “ pan “

So hopefully with the OEM drain patent that should do it .

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This happened to me with my 2001 456M, so it's possible with most models. Dead crickets clogged the condensation drain. Not a problem if your garage is secured and climate controlled.

9. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
  10. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not to be bested by Ferrari, Maserati put an ECU under the drip pan in the 4200.

NoGoSlow likes this.
  11. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Bentley put a box of relays under the passenger foot well .
    The HVAC drip pan drains are tiny one each side of the tranny tunnel .So when theses block water escapes out of the central pan into the foot wells . Damp carpet .The relay box lid has a poor seal .
    Inside is the keyless start and stop module and relay .Get that wet and the starter motor can burn out .
    So what a few hundred quid and being VAG an Audi or VW part .... what’s the problem?
    Er it’s an engine out job to access the starter motor !!!

So for me going back to the 70 ,s is DIY heaven , no ECU , not even fuel injection on a carbed car .....as simple as wheel barrow to work on .

G. Pepper and MFlanagan like this.