Aircraft comparisons.... | FerrariChat

Aircraft comparisons....

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tritone, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    (was hoping to ask in a pm but guess they no longer exist......)

My local airport accepts >up to a Super King Air, or....12,500# single wheel.
    What other similar aircraft would that rating include? Jeff K? Donv? Jason1st? anybody?
    Do any small jets fit within that rating?
    I'm thinking of "typical" small/medium private business aircraft.....
    TIA,
    Tritone

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There are plenty of business aircraft under 12,500 pounds. That number is used by the FAA as a marker between "small" and "large" aircraft.

Most, but not all, turboprops would be 12,500 pounds or less. The King Air 200, as you pointed out, is 12,500, while the 300 and 350 go well over that. There is a "300LW" version which is limited to 12,500 pounds (to qualify for lower taxes in Europe). Turbo Commanders, MU-2s, Conquests are all under 12,500 pounds. Some Merlins are as well. The Pilatus and TBM are also under that limit.

There are small jets which fit into that weight category-- the Citation ISP, the IISP (but not the regular II or it's derivatives), the CitationJet CJ1 and CJ2... some Premier 1s (but not the 1A, I believe), the Phenom 100 (but not the 300). The Citation Mustang and the Eclipse 500/550 are way under 12,500 pounds.

So yes, there is a pretty decent range of aircraft which fit under that limit.

If the weight limit is a real, runway limit, then there are even more which can be operated at 12,500 pounds or less- the Citation 550 series, for instance (assuming you aren't going too far). However, most 12,500 pound limits are more "political" in that they are meant to just keep larger aircraft away, and for that purpose they generally look at the maximum certified takeoff weight, regardless of what weight you are actually operating at.

Envision and sigar like this.
  3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James

Thank you!
    Although I can't find any stipulations in our regs, is it likely that there would also be any sound issues for small jets? I have never seen a jet come in here, and have heard anecdotally that they're prohibited, but find nothing in our airport regulations that specifically apply. The turbines are wonderfully quiet (esp. compared to the 2 C-335's that frequent the airport!!!) so I don't know if light jet noise would be an issue. BTW: this is not a NIMBY issue; it's all because I want to invite a category of people to visit, but don't want to throw up obstacles.....

4. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The small jets (CJ, Phenom 100) are very quiet, so that shouldn't be an issue. There are airports which do restrict jets, again for political reasons, so you should probably talk to the airport manager or someone in authority.

5. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Which airport? Runway length may preclude some jets.

6. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    called "conversations" top right under username

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    2700 ft. > & FAA-approved RPZ's at both ends (ask me how I know......lots of fresh firewood now) :cool:

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    2700 feet is pretty short. I don't know have any experience with the sub-12,500 jets with the exception of the Citation 501, and that could possibly do it if you were light. Now, remove the 12,500 restriction and the Falcon 50 would be the way to go! 40,780 pounds max gross, though!

For that length of runway, you are better off sticking with the turboprops.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Got it! Thx.

10. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    i would not plan on flying any jet routinely out of a 2700 ft runway although some could do it per poh including mine. TPs are definitely the way to go.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #12 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    All pilots are welcome, come visit.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I notice he leaves his hand on the thrust levers until he retracts the gear. I wonder if he calculated a V1?

In my Citation SP days, I flew it like any other jet-- at V1, both hands go on the yoke. Maybe it's done differently now?

I don't remember if the Citation 501 allows it, but on that runway I would definitely consider an unbalanced field calculation. You wouldn't want to do a high speed abort there.

14. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    This runway is defiantly a no go for jets. Heck it is even marginal for Twin Otters on take off..

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Defiant runway! ;)

I saw a Twin Otter take off in about 20 feet at the old Denver Stapleton (Frontier). It was v. windy.

16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So for the Citation at Mountain Air, if you lost an engine would you end up in a ball of flames at the end of the runway? What's the V1 speed? In the KC-135 we had takeoff data where if you lost an engine you were done, but at that point the nukes were inbound so it didn't matter.

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I wonder if he could T/O if there were no winds? The wind sounds like it's in Iceland.

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It depends on when he lost the engine, and what actions he took. Aborting at high speed would probably end up in a ball of flames, but given the terrain, he might be able to continue from an engine failure at 80 knots. Hard to know without data. That's where the unbalanced field data is useful, but I don't think they allow that for the 501.

19. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    On calm days they run Britten-Norman Islanders into there as they can take off using about 2/3 - 3/4 of the runway, or they restrict the number of passengers on the Twin Otter. I flew out of there on a fairly calm day and it felt like the Twotter sank 10-15 feet once it got out of ground effect at the cliff.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    donv and beast thanks for your replies, interesting stuff!