Alarm battery upgrade on 360 - killing the red dash LED :-) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alarm battery upgrade on 360 - killing the red dash LED :-)

Discussion in '360/430' started by RayJohns, Jul 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Good job Greg!

The only comment I would provide is that the alarm module battery voltage should be 7.2 volts, not 9 volts. I don't know if this could cause any problems, but it may be something to consider. 9 volts may not have any adverse impact, but I don't know if I would want to take that chance long term. If you check back on this thread, I believe I posted the link and part# where you can order a 7.2 volt battery that pretty closely matches the amp specs for the original battery used in the alarm module. It's in a 9 volt configuration, but is rechargeable and rated at 7.2 volts. Since it's only a $10 part, I would strongly consider using the proper voltage just to be on the safe side.

You are "probably" okay using the 9 volt, but for the cost why risk it?

Ray

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That's a great point, Ray.

The R/S battery I bought states 8.4 volts when fully charged.

I'll look for a 7.2.

Thanks for mentioning that.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Check message #14 on this thread. The part# and source for the 7.2 volt battery I am using is listed there.

Better safe than sorry, even though I doubt it would matter all that much.

Ray

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Mouser now lists that as a discontinued part.

I'll search for a suitable replacement.

5. Big A 3723

Big A 3723 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    #55 Big A 3723, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    I was up till 4am this morning doing this "quick" install. The only thing is that I don't have a battery yet. Do I use a regular 9volt basic non rechargable battery for a few days till oter one arrives, or can I just leave it with no battery till i get the proper one in next day or two? MY car is a 2000 and did NOT have the white vapor barrier, instead it had a gasket lining the back of the carpeted piece. When I opened up the siren, everything looked like new with no corrosion or anything.I had the one with the two big Varta batteries in it. It was a little tough, but I was able to remove tabs intact with an olfa knife. The tabs left were flat and long, so I leaned them together in like a "v" formation and soldered a wire to each set. I used a stranded 22awg wire for connections. This is somewhat small, but should be more than ok to carry 7.2 volt. Anybody think otherwise?
    MY siren was also mounted facing straight ahead. I tried to point it down, but there was no room to even slightly point it down. There was no other option but to put it back in same forward facing position as it is kinda wedged into a corner.

I did this little upgrade as well as the neat alarm remote range extending by pulling out antenna. Are there any other really popular fixes that a lot of people do?

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I don't think I'd use much less than 20 gauge wire. I used 18. 22 is awfully small. There is not a great deal of current passing here but I believe it's always better to have a slightly larger path for electrons to pass.

You can get a 9V NiCad at Radio Shack (P/N 23-448) but as Ray pointed out might be better to find one closer to 7.2 volts. The battery he purchased from Mause ris no longer available. I am trying to find a 7.2 V replacement.

As far as pointing it downward you do the best you can. There is little ability to tilt it as you found out.

You obviously have the newer reusable vapor barrier. So, that's a plus for you.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Greg,

Here is a link for you:

http://www.batteryprice.com/n-6ptbattery72v120mahnicd.aspx

I also made a quick call to the folks at Batteryprice.com and they confirmed that they have 30 in stock. Use discount code: ABS10 for a 10% discount when ordering on-line. That should bring the price down from the listed $16.55 price they are showing on their website. I had the sales rep actually check the stock in the warehouse and he said they do have 30 in stock available for sale (at the time of this posting). They also said they have other sources for that battery besides Sanyo if needed, although since they have the Sanyo version in stock, I didn't inquire about any other brands.

I also put a call into Sanyo batteries asking if they have changed the part # and/or if they still produce this battery. If I hear anything back from Sanyo, I'll follow up here.

When I did this upgrade, I purchased a spare battery from Mouser just in case the first one went belly up. I wasn't sure how many recharge cycles the battery would see or how long it would last. But as updated on this thread, it's been a couple of years or more and the first battery is still going strong. I would offer to send you my spare battery, but since I'm trying to sell the car, I wanted to pass it along to the next owner.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Ray

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #58 RayJohns, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not the volts that kill ya, it's the amps :) With low enough amps, you can run 20,000 volts down that wire and it won't even break a sweat.

Anyway, 22 gauge is plenty. 22 gauge is rated to carry nearly 1 amp (.92 amps to be exact). This battery is rated at 110 mAh. Re-charging takes place at between 11 milliamps and 22 milliamps. The wire is rated to carry 920 milliamps. So you are fine by a factor of nearly 50 to 100 depending on how fast the car recharges the battery when it needs it.

Attached is the datasheet for the battery in question.

Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    if you are dealing with high amps, then yes, it's always better to have a little extra insurance (within reason) so that the electrons flowing in the wire don't heat things up. But when you are dealing with very low current down in the 1000ths of an amp (i.e. milliamps), then it's not usually a major factor.

Ray

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    #60 GCalo, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That one will work. However, the NiMH batteries don't withstand as many charge cycles as the NiCD as I recall. I think that battery you listed above is actually the first one that I was originally going to use. I think it will work okay, but I think the NiCD is a slightly better option based on what I researched previously. The main reason I went with the NiCD was because it tends to hvae a longer life cycle and discharges less than some of the other types of batteries. Since this battery is involved with the alarm system, I wanted a battery which wouldn't suddenly go dead if the car was sitting for a couple of weeks.

In real world terms, probably either will work fine. The NiCD may just give you a slight edge on the # of times it can be charged and how well it holds a charge.

Ray

12. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    how can i tell if i don't need a battery.is there a way to test it? my car is going on 5 years,my best guess is that it about due.

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    FIAAM is the oem battery supplier to Ferrari.

They are junk and they don't last.

5 years is pushing a FIAAM battery.

Get an Interstate MTP-91 (make sure you get the drain tube with it) and a battery tender, and your troubles will be over!

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think he means the battery in the alarm module.

There is no easy way to check the alarm module battery. When it goes, the LED on the dash will stay lit while you are driving the car. That's the first tip off that your alarm module battery has bitten the dust. It's usually a good idea to get in there sooner than later, since as the battery goes, it can burn the printed circuit board. At least if you catch it early, you can do the external 7.2 volt battery modification. If you wait too long and the battery acid eats into the board, then you are looking at a total replacement of the module.

Ray

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I better quit drinking!

No way to check the battery until you open the case.

One look will tell but as Ray said the constant on dash LED is a telltale sign of an alarm battery problem.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The beauty of this fix is I can change the battery in about 5 minutes so a few less charge cycles doesn't matter. It was a great move Ray, thanks.

17. Big A 3723

Big A 3723 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    The 22 awg wire I used is home alarm wire that is two 22 awg wires in a sheath. It's a nice stranded copper wire and I used pure silver solder to put it all together that I had from building my own RCA's for my high end home audio system. The next bigger wire I had was like 16 awg which was overkill. I figured that since the base of the 2 posts that stick up on positive and negative side (since I had the Varta battery version) were smaller than 22awg each, they would be about that together and any bigger wire would had made no difference b\c of bottleneck effect. Although, if I had a little larger, would have used it.

-With regard to rechargable batteries used, does the car keep these charged up, or do you have to remove them at some point to recharge them?

-Also, to make sure I needed this fix, when yall say that LED stays on all the time, Does that mean on solidly lit, or ON in a constant steady blink?

Thanks for quick responses and info! FORUMS RULE!

18. Big A 3723

Big A 3723 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Alejandro

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the back of my siren had "NMH" molded into plastic, not NiCD. Although both comments are true, NiCD more stable for automotive platform and there is negligible difference between both on such a small scale.

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    True, the ease of changing the battery almost makes the cycle life a moot point.

Ray

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The car charges the battery for you. When everything is working properly, you shouldn't have to touch the battery after installation (at least not until you deplete the cycle life and it is no longer able to hold a charge - however long that takes (probably 5+ years)). My battery has been working fine for over 2 years with zero problems or attention since I installed it.

Normally, the LED on the dash blinks to indicate the system is armed. When you disarm it and start the car, the LED will go out. When the battery dies in the module, then you will notice that the red LED stays lit while you drive the car (it will be on constantly - solid red) to indicate a fault in the alarm system.

Ray

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, in the real world I think either are fine. The NiCD may have a slight edge, but I doubt it's much.

Ray

22. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Agreed. Nice mod by the way.....

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray

Ray

24. Big A 3723

Big A 3723 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    9v connector I used had a diode built in it that prevented battery from charging. After replacing with another connector and leaving overnight, LED was off next day! Be carefull where you get 9v connector from, it might have a ressistor or diode in it keeping it from working correctly. Also, battery might need to sit plugged in a few hours before it clears solid LED, so don't give up is LED is still solid as soon as you finish this fix, Give it a day! Thanks for fix idea guys! I bought 2 batteries from Mouser to have an extra, so will be fine for 10 years!

25. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I received in a supply of 7.2V 110 Ma NiCad batteries which are perfect for the external alarm module repair. They have a plastic case which is ideal for this application.

You really don't need to use the trailer hitch connector with the battery clip but you can do so if you want.

$10.00 each including postage and a 9V battery terminal clip.