355 - Alarm keeps going off on F355 | FerrariChat

355 Alarm keeps going off on F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by SA Mike, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SA Mike

SA Mike Karting

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Martinez
    #1 SA Mike, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Alarm keeps going off for no reason. It’s on a trickle charge 24/7 until I drive it. Was at work the other day and the wife told me the car alarm seemed like it was beeping. And its more like a beeping than the horn and loud. Does the horn sound when the alarm is tripped or is it more of a beeping sound. Got home and car was locked and with no sign of entry. What triggers the alarm? Does a door have to be opened. Maybe the battery is going bad?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Usually caused by anti lift sensor. SD1 or 2 can quickly diagnose.

Beetle likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Have you actually heard the sound yourself, or just your wife? Would you be able to record it?

This type of Bosch Immobiliser is the same model as used on the Ferrari 550 and (on the 550) it does have an input to the horn relay, but I've pored over the F355 wiring diagrams and I haven't been able to find a link between the Immobiliser ECU and the horn (at least not on USA cars). (EDIT) Standby... I've just found a diagram on the '96 car which shows a link to the horn. I don't know if this is on all F355's

To hear what the alarm siren sounds like, arm the alarm and then activate the battery kill switch. It's loud, not a beeping sound. What your wife is describing sounds more like a seatbelt warning or convertible roof open warning. Quite possibly, an old battery might be triggering this beeping. Do you know how old it is?

When you arm the alarm, what happens to the LED on the dash? What happens to the LED when you disarm the alarm?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    To get a full picture of the alarm system, you need wiring diagrams for exterior lights, engine management, suspension, windows and doors over several years and models, and just when you think you've figured it out, you find the wiring on your car disagrees with the official Ferrari wiring diagrams :confused:

Here's my latest Ferrari F355 (5.2) immobiliser diagram, but as stated, other diagrams are required to get a full picture:

5.2 Immobiliser/alarm System

5. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Anti lift sensor for sure. Mine drove me nuts!!! middle of the night and day. I did a 360 lift sensor conversion on mine havn't heard the alarm since unless i set it off :)

6. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey guys. I think my 355 anti-lift might be going as well. Yesterday the alarm started triggering multiple times for no reason with the car sitting in the garage. I've checked to ensure everything is closed so nothing should be setting it off. I'm going to try swapping out the sensor... but I can't tell where it is located from any of the ricambi diagrams. Google didn't help either. Can someone who knows tell me where it's located?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's near the battery cutoff switch in the forward luggage compartment. You'll need to remove the liner. Be careful, that liner is very fragile.

8. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks, Q! I'll take a look.

And I've pulled the liner before, so yeah, I've dealt with it, but thanks again for the heads-up and all the other info you've collected and shared on the immobilizer.

Qavion likes this.
  9. SA Mike

SA Mike Karting

May 25, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Martinez
    In my case it was the battery in the alarm/siren itself. I replaced it rather than open it up find a compatible battery and then glue it back together and all that mess. My brother and I put it in about 30 minutes. You have to take the front left wheel off and some plates underneath. At the time Scuderia Parts has them on sale so it worked out.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell