Alarm no longer beeps when I press the key | FerrariChat

Alarm no longer beeps when I press the key

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by patatty, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    A few weeks ago I noticed that when I press the lock or unlock buttons on the key, the alarm no longer beeps. The lights still flash (I think once for armed, and twice for disarmed) and everything else seems to work fine. I tried looking up in the manual how to turn the beeps back on, but there is no mention of this. Anyone have this happen before? Anyone know how to get the beeps back? Thanks. This is on a 2013.

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 4th_gear, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Hi, I think this problem plagues just about every car that uses a modern remote locking key fob. :( I suspect there is a very small number of OEM suppliers for the fobs and that most car makers essentially get their fobs from the same suppliers, thus accounting for why everyone seems to have the same problem.

This problem also happened with my E39 BMW. What I recall was that the battery was getting low on charge at the time - what my trusted mechanic told me. When I got my battery recharged the problem went away and the car was happy again. :D

Make sure you plug in your battery tender and wait to see if the green light comes on to indicate a full charge. Then try the fob again. Some owners of other cars report their fobs were accidentally "reprogrammed" when they pressed the button(s) inadvertently and they reprogrammed the keys by pressing both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously and holding them for several seconds - but I never had to do that in my BMW. In my case, it was the weak battery.

If all else fails, call the service department of your dealer. I'm sure they come across this problem A LOT. Wish they would provide simple instructions, save people a lot of wasted time trying to figure out something that should not require any effort. Documentation seems to have become a lost art!

Maybe it is the same issue with the Cali's system. Weak batteries do cause a lot of weird electronic issues due to low voltage or insufficient current. Always maintain a full car battery - they will last up to 5 times longer too and the opposite if you regularly let them drain too far. Let us know how you make out.

3. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I'd actually prefer that my alarm not beep when I lock/unlock the car - the flashing lights suffice to confirm locking action, and draw less attention. OP, when you figure this out, if you learn that silencing the beep is programmable, I'd be grateful if you would share how it is done and reversed.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like your alarm siren is on the fritz. Do a test by locking her and arming the alarm with a window down and then open the door from the inside. If the siren does not sound, it needs to be replaced. Your California is under warranty, so it is the dealer's problem.

If she will not arm the alarm with the window down. Sit in the car when you shut her down, remove the key and lock yourself in with the remote. When you open the door, the siren should squeal.

5. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    Reset the battery

6. patatty

patatty Rookie

May 22, 2012
    How do you reset the battery? FYI, the car is less than 8 months old, with about 1200 miles. I must admit I do not plug in the battery trickle charger when I don't drive it.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are procedures for disconnecting the battery ground cable with the quick disconnect and then reconnecting in section 5 of your owners manual. Might be better just to let the dealer look at the problem since she is under warranty if you determined it was not the siren.

8. StreetXtreme

StreetXtreme Rookie

Apr 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Patrick Hoang
    I have the same problem. Cant seem to find alot of people here that have a solution. I have a 2012 458 Italia and the beep stopped working when I arm and disarm. I've scanned vehicle and its throw 2 codes for the body control module. 1 is for the siren. The other is a communication error. I've also sat in the car and armed the car, then opened the door. The lights would flash non stop but the siren never sounded.

I'm leaning towards the siren.

One strange thing did happen around the same time the siren stopped working. When I had started the vehicle, I had a bunch or errors come on all at once. I shut the car off and back on again and they were all gone. I think maybe the battery was low causing these random errors.

Before I go digging. Is there a way to silence the siren. Maybe I did it by accident.

Sent from my SM-G955W using FerrariChat.com mobile app