Alaska Airlines Q400 stolen from Sea-Tac | FerrariChat

Alaska Airlines Q400 stolen from Sea-Tac

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gran Drewismo, Aug 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow that is crazy. I'm guessing a disgruntled employee (aka low paid regional pilot).

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    For a guy trained only on a video game, he does a pretty mean barrel roll. When he pulls out of the bottom looks like he's pulling some serious G's.

clandestine likes this.
  4. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Exactly what I was thinking. Too bad he didn’t land safely, I’m sure he would of been head hunted by a few airlines ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I doubt seriously that an airline would look once at him if he did survive and if they did, it would be to sue hime for stealing a 32 million dollar airplane. Could have used a lot more right rudder in the roll out.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Is it possible that he had received some training in the cockpit, and had a license to taxi? The character Joe Patroni in the movie "Airport" was licensed to taxi 707s. Once that far, actually taking off might not have been too much more difficult, especially if he had practiced on a video game.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    You don’t just get into a q400 and turn the key. You have to start the apu and get bleed air to the engines then add fuel. You would have to be semi knowledgeable on systems to do that. He probably had one of those q400 add ons for flight simulator.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I was stationed at Hondo in 1944 as a crewman we could do everything to operate our airplanes except to fly them and they were a lot more complex than a turbo-prop. He had ample knowledge to do what he did, I think.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If he was an engine mechanic, he probably knew all of that. What amazes me is that the tower apparently gave him clearance to taxi and take off. I doubt if he tried to do it without clearance.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    All the original articles said "unauthorized takeoff" before they knew who was flying it. To me that sounds like the tower didn't give him clearance rather than "unauthorized takeoff" meaning it was considered stolen as soon as it left the ground.

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I seriously doubt they cleared him. They wouldn’t know who it was with no flight plan filed. And that plane wouldn’t be going VFR.
    As soon as he called for taxi they would say, “who are you? I don’t have a flight plan on you.”

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Some more videos on the incident:

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All the ground transmissions are in the video. This guy wasn't asking for permission.

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The only places I know of with active measures to stop aircraft from taxiing and taking off are AF bases with a nuclear mission to prevent unauthorized take-off of nuclear weapon loaded aircraft. USAF is willing to lose an aircraft and ground vehicles to prevent that from happening. Not really practical at civilian airports.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's hard to blame airport security here, since the guy was licensed to be around the aircraft. Presumably he was security screened when he was hired. But if someone is suicidal, especially someone friends and neighbors didn't suspect, all bets are off.