Alcantara | FerrariChat

Alcantara

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tonyswfla, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Any info on how well this product wears? Cleaning?

2. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    My headliner and a few other pieces are covered with this. I haven't had to clean them yet. The car is 5 years old. Seems to hold up well?

3. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    How comfy is it compared to leather?? I would imagine just as much. It certainly looks the part.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If it's on the seat, it looks 'blotchy', because the little fibers get rubbed every which way (kind of like pile carpeting, but on a very small scale). Audi offers it as the base seat fabric in the TT. I ended up getting the full leather, because the demo car interior looked tired.

I don't know how well it would hold up over time.

It is very comfortable and holds you in place better than leather.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have it in the Slutmobile, seems its best in places that dont get a lot of wear

The colors are great too

6. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    As I said the headliner is. I don't have it on any seating surfaces. I would imagine it would look well used if you were to sit/slide on it.
    It does look nicer than the cloth headliner in my other car.

7. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    http://www.alcantara.com/
    I've had to Ferrari's with Alcantara and felt that it performed great. Like leather or most any fabric, sun and friction are not their friends however, there are steps you can take to slow the deterioration process down.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    My seats have alcantara on them and I have not seen any wear just yet. The car is only about 6 months though. The best way to keep it looking new seems to be to simply "brush" the seats with your hand so all the fibers are laying one direction. The fibers in the fabric tend to to lay differing direction from use but once I lightly brush over the seat it looks like new again. If you do not brush the seats from time to time, they do look old and heavily used.

Mark

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Alcantara is a trade name for the same product as Ultrasuede. Same Asian mill.

Jeff Kennedy

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Really can't clean the fibers/farbic with your hands. Actually as a result of the oils in your hands, probably not a good idea. For general cleaning and stain removal I would follow the directions here...http://world.alcantara.com/newsite/americas/index.html

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Isn't it on the Endangered Species List?

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No but producing it does add to global warming and so do farting cows so that's why I go for the leather.

13. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    The Alcant is a rodent presently being bread in captivity for the purpose of slaughter for human use of its hyde and meat. While the hyde seems to be a present favorite of the automotive industry, they say the meat "Tastes just like chicken". Why not just eat chicken you say....ever see a car seat outfitted in feathers?

(you just watch...someone here will find me a picture)