Alfa 4C - "Without The Heart We Would Be Mere Machines" | Page 58 | FerrariChat

Alfa 4C - "Without The Heart We Would Be Mere Machines"

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by synchro, Apr 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Because there's barely room for one! :)

OR, send your luggage ahead of you each leg.

2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Totally agree, this trio has a good chemistry.

Funny but without going over the top, and still informative.

Have fun on your trip in the future classic.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Interesting! I was sure alfa was letting 4c die quiet death. Maybe 500 hp qf engine? Would be awesome. But will need lots work to keep up with updated lotus exige on sale in europe. Maybe lotus will take notice and bring those stateside?

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sports cars today are way too big-- except for the 4c. :)

ypsilon, redcaruser and G. Pepper like this.
  8. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Is the 8C still made and sold in other parts of the world?

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    No, old.

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I had the pleasure to race against a few 4C's, wow, this car is extremely capable and makes a lot of fun. A good proof that it does not always needs 700hp and more. Alfa is very well advised to continue to support and develop this model. This car is unique in its class, Renault now comes with the Alpine A110, but I prefer the Alfa. I can very well imagine to buy a 4C one day.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Rumor has it the updated version will have a 2L motor and new suspension. Not much else but the added power would help. 300HP would be great along with less turbo lag.

redcaruser likes this.
  12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Have found this video, interesting to see how this car is build, actually a very "exclusive" process.

(if this video has been shown already pls excuse me)

13. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Mazda has done a pretty good job of holding down the size of the Miata.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Good point, and it makes you wonder as the Miata has a normal steel body/chassis construction. Although the Miata is not in the same class as the 4C in performance.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Got my car back today from its "Check engine light" problem. It appears to have been some kind of short that the computer picked up. 6 weeks of fiddling. Ugh.

But a few good things.

1) A few months ago it seemed to have picked up a little "hitch" from a stop to throttle. Just a slight hiccup. It was pretty small but that appears to be gone now.
    2) I used to have this issue if you were at a stop light and stepped on the brake, the RPMS would drop and then come back up . It doesn't seem to do that anymore.

It may be my imagination but it seems to pull better in the mid RPMs.

I forgot just how much fun this car is to drive. The brakes are just amazing. The 4c not even close to being what you would call "comfortable" but its a hoot to get on the gas and go around a corner.

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    this would probably be enough but the dct could use upgrade from chrysler econocar parts bin too. Would also worry that suspension'upgrade' could simply mean they make it softer and lose handling in process

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah I agree. And slightly wider seats! :)

18. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mayor, glad you have it back. Sounds like you have fallen under its spell again.

I have a lot of fun with mine.

My wish list for a revamped model would be:
    - geometry changed to provide the steering feel that should be there and less understeer
    - throttle steerable on the track. This means more responsive turbos and a near linear throttle feel
    - breathes all the way to a 7500 or higher redline. This will deliver higher BHP numbers (but for me, higher BHP numbers are not a goal)
    - adjustable suspension (ride height, rake, corner weighting).

And, a four leaf clover emblem on the side!

NEP and 95spiderman like this.
  19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes!

just make a qf version

20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

My wish is for Manual / Stick shift but it will not happen, as Alfa says modern buyers are not interested

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'll take a 300+ Hp motor as a substitute.

If they could squeeze in a 2.4L V6 turbo that would be pretty awesome. It would truly be the modern version of the 246 Dino GT

Yes it would weigh a bit more but with 400 HP and less turbo lag the results would be pretty awesome.

Its going to have to compete against the new Mid Engine Vette.

22. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Mayor (Bob) what's your thinking on why prospective buyers will cross-shop a revised 4c against a new Vette -- price? engine position? similar buyer? similar appeal..?

There are always exceptions, but I'd be surprised if a 'Vette buyer would consider an Alfa 4c. To me the natural competition will come from a relaunched Elise or Exige when they are expected to come to the US in 2020 (but perhaps I don't track the American psyche well enough despite having lived here for 25 years!)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Elise to me never did anything. The Toyota motor, the kit car construction, etc.

I think the new Mid Engine Vette has a lot of potential BUT there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Some think it will be about 70K but I think its more like 150K. And GM still has to pull it off. It if looks to much like the C7 I think its not going to be very attractive.

I think Alfa realizes that it does need "a halo car" and will continue to invest in the 4c for the publicity it generates. Lotus needs to make all it's money from selling sports cars. Alfa uses the 4c as a way of highlighting what they represent. In that way, we get a bargain because Alfa doesn't expect to make money off it. Lotus would go out of business if they took this root.

24. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    whoa, whoa, whoa, the elise never did anything???!!!! lol
    honestly, having driven most of the cars we all post about, nothing comes closer to perfect driving experience than elise.
    perfect position seating, pedals, shifter. perfect visibility, steering, braking, handling, shifting, engine responsiveness.
    could use more power and better ride quality but thats about it. and supposedly these things have been fixed but unfortunately new ones are only on sale in europe

hyenahf likes this.