Alfa 4C - "Without The Heart We Would Be Mere Machines" | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Alfa 4C - "Without The Heart We Would Be Mere Machines"

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by synchro, Apr 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    According to Macgeek Alfa is working on a Jaguar F-type car, so that may ultimately end the 4C's production in a few year. Maybe Maserati will use parts of the 4C design for one of their cars also, but they seem to be all about big cars and SUV's now. Their loss!!

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Bob is right on the economic point. Lotus has always struggled.

Growing up, my dad built up an Elan with a friend. Fabulous, BRG coupe. Vacuum motors on headlights and various other gremlins were always an issue. I raced one. Fan of the marque. The gear shift on the Elise I drove a few years ago was awful. Throws way too long. Fixed I believe in the later cars. It did feel a bit like a kit car but I think I can get over that. The v6 Exige would be a fun car to try but as noted, NA in USA. Alter for Chapman was lightness. Newer cars close to same place of worship.

Corvette has always been (to my view) tremendous value for money and punches well above its weight per $ invested. It has to me always seen a bit crudely designed and I have a sneaking suspicion that too much is sacrificed to the alter of cost to my taste.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    OMG I'm so sorry'

The line was supposed to be "anything to me". A completely different meaning.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Was only joshing w you.
    Cant like alfa and not lotus and vice versa

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes but it was my mistake in the writing. Sorry.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    No worries, thanks

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is it wrong to fantasize about them stuffing the Gulia QF engine in the 4c?

I have always felt this platform will live on in another car. If you just look at the chassis itself, it looks to be highly adapatble.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That would be great, but I think it will be a Maserati not an Alfa :)

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Don't see it Tom. Damn thing is too hard to get into (and out of) and not consistent with the more luxury (er, thicker girth?) positioning of the Maserati brand and would also compromise some of the investment in the Alfa brand (Formula 1 etc).

I believe a higher power (and higher priced) 4c will come. To me, an engine breathing and pulling all the way to a 7,500+ redline, delivering 320-350 BHP and a sorted chassis would be a fine mix. We'll see!

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes, the higher power 4C is already talked about, but not a V6 version yet. I doubt Maserati will do anything with the 4C also other than build them for Alfa.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Well I wouldnt hold my breath for the Me vette being much if any smaller sized than the current car.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think we would all love a 550hp TTV6 from the sedan in the 4c tub with suspension sorted by lotus all under 2800lbs.
    Not gonna happen because such a car would simply blow away ferraris offerings.

What we will see is a 600hp TTv6 and cf tub under 3000lbs being build off he 488 replacement as a lower priced option tot he v8 version.
    If were really lucky ferrari will do lightweight version of that car for under 300k.

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    4C's are getting affordable :)

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    what are the numbers showing?

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I have seen several go for under $40,000.00 US but most are in the $50,000.00 range second hand on up. They have built 7000 units so far.

16. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    My plan to find a 2015 coupe in a few months.

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I find comments made about the 4c from the journalists reviewing the Stelvio to be galling.

I am sure I listen (and watch) with selective attention, but as I recall many journalists from Autocar, Carfection et al loved the 4c when it was introduced. It wasn't without flaws, but they fawned over it.

Fast forward a couple of years. Watch the Autocar video of the Stelvio as an illustration. Journalist opines that he doesn't know what to expect from the Stelvio given how great the Guilia is, how terrible the 4c was. Then goes on to suggest Stelvio would appear o be great, but need to test it on Britsih B roads.

His point on testing in real world conditions (rather than a smooth as silk ribbon of Tarmac in Dubai) is correct and for that he can't be faulted. But really, to go from cheer leading to panning based on whether it is new (and negative comments would offend the manufacturer) makes me loose all faith in their objectivity.

Perhaps the moral of the story is shame on me. 40+ years ago my older brother took me to the Motor Cycle Show at Earls Court in London. Having a dad that grew up going to Brooklands and who took us to Brands Hatch multiple times per year to watch Clark and Hailwood from when i was about 3, I was infused with interest in the sports. One of the motorcycle press had just completed a review of performancing enhancing exhaust systems for a popular bike. The brands whose engineering I looked up to (like Dunstall and Piper) were panned, others lavished with praise. Dyno results purported to support their conclusions. I talked with one of the "panned" manufacturers. Their response: "yes, they asked us to drop them a couple of grand. We wouldn't.". I came away confused. Surely, that could not be the case and this was just sour grapes?

Seems not much changes.

thecarreaper likes this.
  18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I am hoping to find a 4C in the Savannah / Hilton head are to see and sit in as part of my quest as I usually buy from dealers out of State and dont usually see the car in advance.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine is not for sale. :)

Robb, Carnut and thecarreaper like this.
  20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Under $40k with 20k miles is realistic i think. I want one in Red over red with telephone dial wheels and sport exhaust.

21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    In using the crystal ball, does the group think the 4c will ever go up in value or will it go the way of the spider from the 60’s to 90’s?

How many 4c have they made? Guesses? I realize they are depreciating. Used are around $40-45k now.

Robb

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    probably similar depreciation to lotus.
    maybe worse since turbo/paddles on alfa less desirable than na/stick lotus

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Buy it to drive and enjoy. It is a fun car. The Launch Edition probably has the greatest chance of (eventually) appreciating, only 500 numbered ones in the US, but even those are in the 50k range with reasonably low mileage, and you get all the carbon fiber bits standard.

24. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Wish you could get the blue paint on the coupe...

Robb