Alfa Romeo 4c who has one? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c who has one?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by ferrari#7, Jul 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #51 TheMayor, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Most people would have said that about my old 246 Dino Gt -- and did, for about 30 years.

Nice looking but cheap Fiat parts, cramped, if you're over 6 foot you can't fit in it, steering wheel at odd angle, not as fast as a 911, no creature comfort, seats don't hug you, overpriced for the money, panels don't fit right, poor paint quality, can't keep up with Mustangs or Corvettes.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But what some view as a weakness others view as a strength. And, comparing a 4c to a Speciale is like comparing a Big Mac to Filet Mignon. What did you expect for your 5 bucks?

It's no Ferrari. It's an Alfa. Just like my Dino wasn't a Ferrari -- but on some levels it was actually better.

2. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    Just drove one today while in Monterey for car week. I can understand the criticism / some parts looks cheap, the dash is graphically busy, and the pioneer radio they out in looks like an aftermarket add-on, BUT I loved it. The manual steering, exhaust, lively-ness, just a blast to drive. It's not a perfect car, but it's perfectly fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't comparing directly to Speciale..just that I think I have been "ruined" by the Speciale. Just like wine, and I like the good stuff now, the "everyday" wines seem so lacking.
    I did think it was fun, and I could look past the cheap plastic bits (as I mentioned).
    But the lazy-shifting DCT tranny, and tiny little moving paddles did not make shifting sporting and fun.
    A three pedal manual, a little more power...great car...but then it would be a Subaru WRX STI. :)

4. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have to disagree. I think it is a minor miracle they could build a car with a carbon fiber tub, this involving and very quick ( if not outright fast per se at the top end). Unassisted steering, great feed back, etc. I'm 6 foot 3 and 220. Fit fine. I also have an F12, had a 430 Scuderia and a 360 CS. Frankly, I would dare to say the 4C is better value for money than any of them, although the F12 is the finest car I've ever owned. Cheers.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Gear shifting is very close if not as good as the F430 and miles better than the 360.

What I didn't like about my 458 was the gearbox feeling completely artificial. too much software, not enough reality.

But each to their own.

6. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Anyone try a transmission flash on their 4c? For example like the one Madness offers? Any feedback?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Completely agree. Frankly, I thought ( as do many) that a Scuderia is much more involving/visceral than the 458. I think the gear shifts on the 4C are quite brisk, but with a bit more of a single clutch "shove" at full throttle, which makes it more involving. I just can't believe how much it feels like a mini Ferrari for $68,000 in the case of my new car. Bravo Alfa.

8. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have not tried it. Still contemplating which ECU upgrade I might try. Leaning toward Eurocompulsion based upon what I've read. Mr. Pogea's posts on the 4C Forum site REALLY turned me off. Guess he was in some sort of spat with the owners of EC, but his language and demeanor were shocking.

9. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    If it had all those things you mention…then it would actually BE a Ferrari.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #60 TheMayor, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

If it had Ferrari shields (or more likely Dino badges) on the sides, it would cost $170K :)

Its kinda like comparing a Duetto Spider to 330 GTS. Well, they're both Italian convertibles! :)

Think that's unfair?

In 1968, you could buy 5 Duetto spiders for one 330GTS.

In 2016, you could buy 5 Alfa 4c's for one 458 speciale.

"You get what you pay for".

Here's another interesting comparison. For the money I lost in depreciation buying and selling my F430 in 4 years, I could have bought one entire new Alfa 4c.

This is the best thing about owning a car like this vs a Ferrari

An idiot at a stop light backed up into me. Damaged the front bumper and grill. Disappointing and annoying but "no biggie".

I take it to a body shop. Insurance comes over and approves it the next day. It's repaired like any car in about a week. No drama. I get the car back and it looks as good as new.

Try that in a 458. DRAMA!!! Diminshed value! Where do I take it? Did it damage the frame???? Will it look the same??? Will the paint match???

Meh... I'm too old for drama.

11. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's a Ferrari without the Ferrari baggage. (yes, metaphorically speaking before someone mentions Schedoni).

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    It is not a Ferrari without a Ferrari badge...pure and simple.
    Saying it doesn't make it so.

It is a fine, fun little car...nothing more, nothing less.
    It has a cheap interior.
    It has no storage for routine use and not quick or thrilling enough to be a track weapon...it is neither.
    It does not shift well...I was paying particular attention to that yesterday...interested in buying it for the track...wanting to like it more. Driving it in manual mode and giving it the beans. It is underpowered.
    (I love Italian cars, not just Ferrari...as a kid my mother drove us around in her 2+2 1965 Alfa 2600.)

It is not miraculous...it is a fine and fun little car.

For $75K you can have a lightly used 2015 Corvette Z06 with Z07 package (and for ~$105K you can have a new one)...more HP than Speciale, more torque than F12 (650/650). Faster track times than a Speciale at Laguna Seca and other major tracks. Beautiful leather interior, roomy, comfortable, plenty of storage, very very nice sound system streaming your Pandora while looking ar weather on the radar on the center screen. CCM brakes, CF targa top that removes and stows in a minute...daily driver easily accomplished, comfortable cruiser interstate...and track monster on weekend. And can be fixed at your local Chevy dealer.
    Now all that in one package...I would contend deserves the term "miraculous."

But I get people here love the Alfa, and it has a certain Italian demeanor about it.
    No more comments from me.
    Peace out.
    :)

13. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I said Ferrari baggage. Not Ferrari badge.

I could buy a Corvette. But then I'd have to buy the satin jacket to go with it and get more grey hair. And worse, I'd be treated like crap at the Chevrolet dealer. They had trouble fixing my Silverado…I don't know that they'd do better with a higher tech Corvette. I can go to my local Alfa dealer, they are friendly and respectful. They'll have a Maserati loaner and an expresso waiting.

I don't do track days, I drive on backroads in the mountains. Plenty of power. Enough storage for a weekend with wife. And I don't like to drive distracted.

To each his own.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Oops! Apologize for my dyslexia or just terrible reading skills. Thought you wrote badge. Sorry again. :)
    I agree Chevy dealers leave something to be desired.
    And I do have grey hair...lol.

15. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Totally with you. After watching the 4C being essentially hand built at the Maserati plant in Modena whe we were there for a tour in June, I was blown away. This car has hand workmanship that would put any Corvette to shame. Of course, like anything else, opinions will always vary, which makes this community an interesting place to exchange opinions and ideas. For me, the 4C feels much more special than any car anywhere near its price point. And with Italian flair😊

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I will have to wait for the giulia qf to buy another alfa I guess. I was disappointed that the 4c is just not for me. i hope the giulia impresses me. i have had a good many alfas in my day and i am so hopeful to be an owner again. i will be patient!!

17. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    on our second 4c...this one a spider
    The shifts are too slow until you shift the car into dynamic. The car won't let you use dynamic mode for 500 miles.
    You test drove a new car using the slowest transmission setting. I assure you dynamic and race are completely different experiences.

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That might explain it, though the salesman did select the "D" mode and it was highlighted on the dash IIRC. Will it highlight but still not be in full "D" mode? You'd think the salesman would point that out if so. Especially when I pointed out the anemic shifts.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes that may be true. I only drive mine in Race mode. I bought mine without even a test drive. :)

I'm not going to get into an argument about which car is best for whatever reason. Its like asking if you like fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast. We all have an idea what makes it work for us.

And, there is no way this is "a Ferrari" because it's not.

The 4c is FAR from perfect. On this level I agree and have said so. Its difficult to get in and out of, the trunk is small, there are Fiat parts in the interior, the seat belts will cut into your neck, it has no internal storage or place for your cell phone, the wires to charge your phone are a complete joke sticking out of a pocket under the dash, the sunvisors are the size of a business card, the trunk opens from inside and is held up by a stick, the lack of power steering makes you use your muscles to park, and the radio sucks to high heaven.

And, sometimes it won't let you downshift into 1st at low speeds (I guessing its to protect the clutch) which can be annoying.

But its beautiful and lively and fun to drive and at a price that won't set you back your retirement fund. And I don't worry about where I take it or what I do with it. I drive it hard all the time and it makes me smile.

It's an Alfa. And if you've had them in the past you'll understand that all of that quirkiness is something not found in cars anymore -- personality.

I used to chastise my 458 because at slow speeds, it felt like you were driving a Lexus or a Merc. It just putters along. No drama. Coming from the F430, I missed this. And believe me, you don't feel that way in a 4c either. Its 100% sports car 24/7.

The 4c is the modern day Dino which is FULL of quirkiness -- and personality. This unfortunately is what is missing today in our cookie cutter cars.

Some will like it, some will hate it, others will like it but say they can't take it all the time, and some will say its too expensive for the performance. It was no different with the Dino in the 70's.

Italian style and flair never disappoints. And thank heavens someone still understands what it means to make an affordable 2 seat true sports car today instead of a GT wrapped up to look like one.

20. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B

I agree with this, though I lack as broad or deep experience with it and other cars. It's a fun car that engages you at any speed.

I drove a bunch of cars while I was in Monterey last week and this had the list character for sure. It's the one I would have picked to drive down to 1 and the twisty back roads I took home. If I were taking the highway home, I'd pick the California.

Ive been doing track days the last few years and would love to go to this or the Elise as an upgrade from the stock BMW Z4 I use currently. Some people want more power and such and I get that but for me, until my abilities exceed those of the car, there's no point to loading up on power. I find I consistently like the smaller nimbler lower power cars anyway.

21. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I took delivery of my F12 in June. ( Ordered at the factory June 2014). Unfortunately, I developed a degenerative neuropathy earlier this year which has affected my ability to extract the performance out of such a beast. So, I take it rather easy and plan to give it to my daughter some day for sentimental reasons ( she attended the Tailor Made session and helped pick everything out). The 4C is a car I can enjoy at sane speeds and with diminished physical capabilities. I am grateful for it, frankly. It's a great little car.

22. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    I started this thread. Wow it took off. I have a 328, was offered a 4c in trade. I passed, my 328 is too nice. May add a 4c, I have been impressed..

23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

😕 So sorry to hear that, Mark. Sometimes, we physicians have to step into the role of patient. Love your positive attitude. Carpe diem. 👍🏼👊🏼

24. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks. My neurologist at Mayo tells me to keep a stiff upper lip. No other choice😊 Cheers.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would not trade a 328 either for a 4c.