Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    And of course Alfa Romeo dealers. Was under the impression auto would be offered, maybe I'm wrong on that. Your 4C, do you miss a manual in it?

2. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Auto will be offered along with AWD on the lesser versions. First I'd heard dual clutch but now hearing torque converter. Not sure if they will ever offer the quadrifolio with an autobox but to be competitive in that segment I think they will have to. Wonder what the ratio of manual vs dual clutch M3s is ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    490 hp dual clutch automatic and AWD will be available although I can't remember if it's just rear wheel drive that gets the dual clutch and the AWD gets the ZF torque convertor automatic,
    510 hp RWD as well.
    Surprisingly I believe a 276 hp turbo four be be the next rung down the latter with both manual and a torque convertor AWD setup.

Dual clutch wet systems are excellent....it's the cheap dry dual clutch units that blow in takeoff from a stop and tainted consumers opinion.

I just test drove the jaguar f type ZF 8 and the Porsche PDK boxster s....there is no comparison from a driver feel perspective of sports car like direct drive experience...

I believe as good as torque convertor automatics can perform their direct drive feel is lacking compared to the DCT.

Unfortunately alfas only having DCT on top sporting model of the guilia.

All I can say is I read all the excellent reviews of the zf8 unit in the jaguar f type and how good it was compared to the competitors Porsche DCT ...

From my perspective..the DCT or PDK transmission is far superior in driver direct feel makes the dual clutch far superior....actual performance not withstanding..

I'm a manual shift driver for 40 years.....and I'd like to switch over to an automatic at this point in my life...but I really don't think I'd be happy with a torque convertor automatic as compared to a DCT or PDK which I thoroughly enjoyed driving...

4. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    this is what i was told by my local Alfa/Fiat dealer as they just sent some people to "Alfa" school on the new Giulia.
    Delivery: the cars are expected in the 4th qtr. of 2016 as 2017 models, late Oct. early Nov.
    Specs: as of 2 weeks ago (when I spoke to him) the initial "Launch Cars" will work like the 4C, dealers will be given 'X' allocation to offer their customers initially, the cars will all be manuals, they will be fully loaded cars, colors will probably be Alfa Red & that Pearl'ish white initially.
    Cost: between 75-80k
    NYIAS: the car will be here for the NY Auto show as well I was told.
    I left a deposit back in July when I thought the car would be here 2nd qtr. of 2016, I decided to wait for it as I have always wanted an Alfa...
    My only real gripe is the lack of information coming from corporate itself on the subject, I am told by members of the AlfaBB that it is common place with Alfa

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

saw the giulia in the metal yesterday...very nice! they say it will be avail in may. I cannot wait to drive it. it is very compelling to be sure. it has remained on my mind since seeing it. I have not owned an alfa since my last gtv 6 in 1985. this may well be my next!!!!

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #56 TheMayor, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Understatement of the year. They are being kind.

Alfa dealers have no idea what they are selling. Literally no idea. I was at my dealer last week and they barely know what a 4c is, let alone a Guilia. I asked the service department how many 4c's they've worked on. Their answer: two. When I told them I had a 4c they almost looked at me like I was crazy.

I'm told part of the reason for holding back the Guilia is the dealers aren't ready for them. The systems and infrastructure isn't there yet. Fiat dealers need a lot of work to become full fledged Alfa dealers.

If Alfa thinks a BMW guy is going to put up with Fiat mentality and service, they are in for a rude shock. The guy who buys a 16 grand Fiat POP isn't the same guy putting down 75K for a high performance sedan. Two completely different customers and two completely different reasons for buying with 2 completely different expectations both before and after purchasing a car.

Alfa's biggest problem? Alfa USA.

7. ferraripete

sadly, you make a good point.

is there truth to the assertions the year one production of the 500 hp version is spoken for?

8. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I was holding off for the Guilia too as a DD. After talking to my Ferrari mechanic who used to work for Ferrari in Modena and knows people working in Alfa Romeo I've come to the realization that my short term wait may be in vain. He was saying that it will be introduced later in 2017 as they are having many issues with the car itself.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Excellent points-but bmw service is nothing to write home about .

10. ferraripete

I just heard it will be avail in may...I do wonder what the real story is? is the tt v-6 already sold out? I would refuse to pay a premium.

I need to know more I guess...what is the warranty? will there be a pre-owned select program with a long warranty? will it then be best to buy a pre=owned low, low mile car next year at a reduced rate?

I really like the car after having looked at it closely for nearly an hour. it looks great. the one issue I had in the design was the seam between the front facia and fender. it looks a bit ill conceived and looks like an area where the paint will crack. otherwise...a beast!!!

I think I would go for the white with the darker colored forged wheels. would opt out of the carbon brake package as I would not track the car and the steel rotors would be just fine.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well I can tell you Mini service and the dealership experience is 100 times better than Fiat.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No. Most dealers have no idea what they are getting and when let alone how to sell one yet.

13. ferraripete

thank you bob.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mini has been around longer so they should have a leg up- my friend had a Mini and now drives a Mazda 3, and his experience with Mini service was horrific. That said I want both mini and fiat/Alfa to succeed.

15. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I hope this car is as awesome as it looks.

16. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How can they be spoken for when dealers have had no information about the car? My dealer was not taking any deposits.

17. ferraripete

I did not know if there was any truth to that...hence my asking.

18. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I just don't see how that is possible. Dealers have no clue on options/pricing etc. All my Alpha dealer can tell me is that they will have an MSRP markup for the first batch but have no idea when they'll be able to take deposits. I leased a late '14 Maserati Ghibli, and as nice as the car drives I can tell you it was rushed to the market. I'm willing to bet they are trying to avoid another Ghibli style launch and delaying it for at least a year.

19. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Since we have not seen or read any test drive reviews from journalists I feel it will be a while before the car is released anywhere including in Europe.

20. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Fiat is the worst!

I've had nothing but issues with my dealer. Couldn't even imagine taking a 4c or Giulia to the place.

21. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I saw one yesterday at the New England Auto Show. Vesuvio Gray Metallic with the phone dial rims. Looked fantastic.

22. ferraripete

Saw that very same version w/ super cool carbon seats. Instant Alfa love affair all over again for me! Looking forward to driving it!!!

23. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    How many Alfa's did they have on display?

24. ferraripete

2. 4c and giulia.

25. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Yes-2

The 4C was a spider in yellow