Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I think Detroit had the same set up as LA with a private ownership TZ2 and production T33 Stradale on display along with several Giulia's and 4C's. Not as good as last year when the Alfa Museum cars were brought over for the Detroit 4C Spider debut and Chicago.

2. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I hope Alfa will have a few models at Milwaukee Auto Show. Like to see the different colors and seat options

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I forgot about this video.... One more reason I don't like Porsche's half as good as Italian cars!!! Listen to the crappy sound coming from that P car...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvtgm-jEiyc

By the way, if you want to see a great Alfa display go to the Chicago show. They always have the same cars as at Detroit.

4. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I'd recommend going to Chicago vs Milwaukee. The Milwaukee show pretty much has anything priced above a Nissan roped off and/or locked. Been a really disappointing show the past few years imo.

5. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
  6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
  7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    How does that make any sense? The car is scheduled to be revealed at the Geneva Auto show and for sale shortly after? Italian media and journalists seem to disclaim all of the rumors. I guess only time will tell.

As for the all the scandals, I doubt many of them are true. It's not uncommon for such a monumental product from Italy being released with a million rumors and scandals surrounding it. Very common in Italy, might even be some sick twisted media plot.

8. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Time will definitely tell. The person I talked to is a former Ferrari employee from Modena and is in direct contact with Alfa engineers. He expressed concerns about the Giulia weeks before the news hit the mainstream media. They've already delayed the launch in Europe (it was supposed to go on sale back in 2015.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    What I think is going to happen is Alfa will only have the V6 turbo available for now. The other versions are having alot of issues. The crash test stuff is being overblown.

10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Must be nonsense.

And if it's true they can cancel it and start developing it's successor.

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was at my Alfa Dealer on Monday. They had "no idea" when they would get cars, what they would cost, how many they would be getting.

As usual -- a complete black hole.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I was at the Chicago Auto Show on press day, with media credentials clearly visible. Yet, they wouldnt open any of the 4 Giulias they had there. Both 4C were also off limit. Cant touch or open.

The people on the booth had some idea..they said anywhere from $70k to $100k for a full spec Giulia. GOOD LUCK selling these with Fiat Dealers who have no idea and know how when it comes to selling expensive cars.

But hey, they had pretty girls and an Alfa 33 Stradale...Maybe they can bring the Stradale to every dealer so that people forget how unprepared they are.

14. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    As per Italian articles and sources, the QV should land in North America late this summer, possibly August-September, basically late 2nd semester.

More mundane versions will follow. For the moment, Europeans will get an initial offering of diesels, followed by regular turbo gas engines.

15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    The source of the article is Marchionne himself. I find him and the article hard to believe. How can you have a product going into production in a few weeks when no-one (including the dealers who will be selling the product) have no idea about the options/cost and delivery date??

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is the problem. You don't sell a $79/ mo Fiat Pop lease like you do a $100,000 sports sedan. Fiat dealers don't know how to switch back and forth.

You can put an Alfa in a Fiat dealer but you can't take the Fiat out of an Alfa dealer.

I do not believe one bit that Alfa will ship the Guilia on their schedule. Dealers should know "something" by now if that was the case.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    With the very limited availability of Alfa for the next few years the smart idea would have been to only sell Alfa's at Maserati dealers......M is an idiot, but I do thank him for the 3 cars he will sell or did sell in the US market... The 4C, 8C and Giulia are most welcome and better than nothing. Expect Giulia delivery in the middle of winter again, just like the 4C.

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Do not agree.

A lot of Alfa dealerships in Europe sell Fiats. A lot of VW dealerships sell Audi's; from VW fox's to Audi R8's.

In seperate showrooms, but still in the same building. Only Bentley, Porsche and Bugatti have designated dealerships.

Problem Alfa (and Fiat) currently has (have) in the US is they're still in the startup phase with very limited product, experience and history. And Alfa doesn't seem to be supporting them much, at least not with information.

19. dt34

dt34 Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Michigan
    Our dealer here is an Alfa/Fiat/Maserati dealer. Maserati has it's own showroom and sales staff while Fiat and Alfa are in the same showroom sharing a sales staff. I think this is what Mayor may be hinting at. Not to say it can't be done but a $100k Alfa is much closer to a $140K Maserati both in price and clientele.

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    2 differences. First Alfa has been absent from the US market for decades. So they already have an uphill battle there. People like us might be willing to overlook these shortcomings and give them time. For example I went 3 times to my chicago dealer to see a 4c. They either didn't have a demo or couldn't show it/test drive and had no idea when one would come.
    I don't imagine someone not passionate going back especially for a regular car like the Giulia base trim. They will just buy a 3er/lexus/c class.

Secondly, alfa has no history even in Europe selling mass production expensive cars. Not 8c or 4c which are cars for our type who spend time on car chats. The regular buyer for a Giulia qv, will have 0 patience with a fist type of seller/dealer. They need training here and there.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You don't understand the US market. A guy walking in off the street looking for a cheap Fiat is not the same as a guy looking at buying a top of the line Sports Sedan. If the dealers don't treat them differently, then they will fail at both.

Fiat is not a "start up phase". It's over 5 years old already. And, the cars sell reasonably well.

The difference is the mentality of US dealerships. They don't know how to treat two different customers differently so they treat them the same -- which means poorly.

But the biggest problem I see is a lack of communication between Italy and Alfa USA and Alfa USA and it's dealers. No one talks to one another.

22. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I worked as a sales rep for Volvo and Infiniti. The reps barely knew any information about upcoming models and pricing. It would usually land our laps a few weeks before the official delivery of models and we would get an email from head office with pricing and options.

Obviously the owner and general manager had a much better idea of what the product pipeline looked like, i remember them visiting head offices and always coming back with encouraging words.

The main reason the "troops" knew next to nothing was simple, SELL SELL SELL inventory! Don't tell clients what's coming in the next few months, sell them the cars we have sitting outside collecting dust.

For example, even if we knew a new model was to be released soon and clients asked for that specific model, the rule of thumb was, give little info, how about this car? and then........we will take your info and let you know when it arrives.

:)

23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Well Alfa never has to worry about that do they :)

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yes same thing happened to us at Concorso Italiano in Monterey, they had 3 4C's there but all the doors were locked? Really? A chance to sell a few cars and probably the best marketing situation you can have and all the doors are locked? How F'd up is that? These Alfa Marketing guys don't have a clue

Meanwhile Mazda has their new Miata at EVERY venue and people are crawling all over it going nuts.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah well at least people heard of an Infinity or Volvo before.

I've given up answering the question "what's an Alfa RomERO?" I used to explain about Alfa and people's eyes glaze over. Now I just say it's Italian and people nod like "oh, OK then.."