Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 65 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

They didn't need to use such cliche's. Just your average Joe in a Merc or an Audi and then explaining that its missing something. The "something" being what Alfa adds -- passion, excitement, style, etc.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I thought the MB and Audi ones were very funny. The bellowing MB guy. Audi "this button says CAR!"

But that said I think what sells the car better are reviews. They should take some of the positive stuff from the Motor Trend guys and make that a 30 second spot.

3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Makuono likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Consumer Reports always hates Alfa's. They nitpick them to death. They favor Japanese anything and always have. Transmission problems on the Acura..No problem, they worked it out. Alfa keyless entry issue ...Oh my god, this car is a nightmare.

Mbutner, NEP and TheMayor like this.
  5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    2 months 1500 miles and zero problems on giulia.
    don't know what to make of jd powers reports. ive filled out plenty of them and they seem pretty legit. but ive had about 7 range rovers over 20 yrs and only had single issue with broken ac condenser in 2002. and rr is worst jd powers of all time. maybe im just lucky w cars .

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It's called extremely biased!!!

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    on whos part?

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That AND the database is really small. Just a few "complaints" and it skews the percentage pretty badly.

It would not surprise me if the car had these issues, particularly the first ones. Alfa even held back the first shipment dates because it wasn't satisfied with the quality.

Like I said, I'm shocked at how bullet proof my Alfa 4c is compared to every new Ferrari I've owned

ypsilon and NEP like this.
  9. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    18 months with my Giulia QF... no issues. Loving every minute!

Add another to the database

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEP and Makuono like this.
  10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    We have almost 15,000 miles over 11 months on our Ti Sport, daily workhorse for my wife and our weekend warrior - not a single issue. Far less on my Quadrifoglio over 11 months also zero problems. Not a single issue with my 4c LE either.

NEP and Makuono like this.
  11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm at 2,100 miles in 5 weeks. It's still the best new car I've owned as far as driving experience and performance, but is not totally flawless:
    • Now, in the first 4 hours I had it I got the "electronic throttle control" error. Thankfully a quick search on my phone showed that stop/starting 3x clears the CEL. I stopped by the next day and the techs quickly plugged in the OBD and cleared it. He showed me it was that the fuel pump volume blipped at max RPM w/WOT. They reminded me that I shouldn't do that for a bit to break it in. Hasn't come back since and I've been romping on it (I didn't do max RPM for at least 24 hours after they told me to ease up :D ). Fuel pump is a known weak point (also for Maserati Ghibli).
    • I have an annoying rattle in the driver's door window switches - they shake enough to hear it when the woofer plays bass. Going to see if there's something to tighten up in the door panel when I go for my first oil change (10,000 miles!).
    • When you're on a Bluetooth phone call and turn the car off, sometimes the AV system stays on and won't let the call go back to the handset. You press the button and the car comes back on, and then have to turn it off again.
    • Once the low tire pressure sensor said a tire was low (it was ~3lbs lower than recommended). I filled it up immediately but the warning light didn't clear for about 24 hours even though the system showed pressure was correct on the dash and console displays.
    These don't affect my main opinion of the car overall and I don't consider it to be a fragile car. I remember my new Subaru, which ultimately needed nothing other than scheduled maintenance, had a few things we took it in for around 1,000 miles, and our new Hyundai had a leak in an A/C hose pretty soon after purchase, which were all fixed quickly under warranty.

I don't have expectations that every car off the line is totally and completely perfect, it's just not reasonable. As long as it stays more reliable than my 355 I'm happy. :p

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  12. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My WRX has a similar problem with the bluetooth, mine won't connect audio to the bluetooth system. So I can't play music of any kind. It also occasionally just shuts off the audio while it says the song is still playing. That's another start/stop fix.

I think tire pressure systems are still far from perfect. I've had issues in every car I've owned.

Like hearing about what all the little annoyances are.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I think part of these kinds of problems are really with Bluetooth itself and all the different variations and hardware using it. Its not stable while new phones coming out have to work with legacy older hardware in cars.

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The system is MUCH easier than the Infiniti BT. It takes 5 submenu commands and 10+ seconds to switch the Infiniti audio player from one phone to another, even if both are already programmed/synced to the system:
    Press: Settings>Bluetooth>Audio Player>[Phone name]>Set as Audio Player>OK

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive been using the g meter lately and im not sure if its accurate. 1st time i took an on ramp at a nice pace and got a 1g lat reading which i thought was pretty good w all season run flat tires. but then i went back and drove it harder and still got the same 1g reading. does it go above 1g? thx

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

another data point. I have now owned my giulia qv for 1 year now. 3900 miles and zero issues. I have seen near vmax on an open road and must say she is a nasty girl.
    build date: 3/17

volcano black, black ice interior w/ green and white stitching and silver 5 hole wheels.

NEP and Mbutner like this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That looks amazing. Is that the competizione tri-coat color options?

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    did you post pictures of that already? I haven't seen a green stitching interior yet. All four at the dealer when I bought had red stitching.

19. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    22 months and 12.5k on my QV...back out the initial issue that almost caused a buy-back(more dealer incompetence than car problem) and the car has been an absolute blast....has not been babied nor abused...just driven as I like to think the engineers at Alfa intended...
    a few track days, some long vacation trips and some local commuting car has been spot-on.....replaced the Fuel Pump recently after getting an ETC light....back to new....have replaced more than 3 fuel pumps on my N54 & N55 BMWs...LOL so I still up by 2.... :) couldn't be happier with the car

Mbutner and NEP like this.
  20. Edc2104

Edc2104 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2011
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Yes it is.

21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Nine months and 4900 miles on my 2017 Giulia TI Lusso w/ Performance package. This is simply the best car I've owned. You can't really compare a car from one era against one from an other but this just amazing. I'm also very surprised with the Bridgestone run flats. I doubt I would chose them again since I bought my own spare tire...but they are very impressive. Two software recalls, nothing that I noticed. I'll be doing my second track event, a 2 day in December at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. My first was at the Streets of Willow and I hammered away on the car and had no ill effects...the brakes were great, as is the steering, and the ZF 8 speed is 99% as good as any duel clutch I've driven. I would be hard pressed to ever consider a manual transmission except on some special vintage car like my old 308 gts...that was shifting as an art form. Not having a lot of faith in FCA I leased for the first time in decades. When the three years are up I'll see how Alfa is doing. I'm not tall but I find the interior of the 4 C just too cramped. Late 2019 should see us getting the new Giulia coupe, with perhaps a 350 hp version of their four cylinder base engine. That would be nice, or maybe pick up a well cared for QV if I can rationalize 505 hp in the city of Los Angeles. So far the base 280 hp engine gives me all the entertainment I've asked from it. I must say I enjoy the attention the car gets in its Silverstone Silver paint.

F1tommy, 95spiderman, greg328 and 2 others like this.
  22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 USA Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales:-

January - 948
    February - 853
    March - 1284
    April - 1123
    May - 1175