Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 67 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No because i really shouldnt buy one until we move out of Illinois (within the next year)..and im already lusting too much after one just by looking at the pics :).

Im not crazy about the look of the leather tbh..looks like cheap leather you get from Nissan or Jeep. But it's not the main reason i would buy one so i can overlook it.

2. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I just bought a 3500 mile 2018 Quad for $57k that was an $80k msrp. I was concerned about the interior quality but the more time I’m in it the more I like it. I’m going to install the CF shift lever trim which should improve the sharp edge that’s on the OEM trim. Also, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S rubber and that made a nice improvement - no more low speed chunking on tight radius turns.

The quad is a lot of car for the $. If it’s reliable it will be a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbutner likes this.
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I am planning on switching once the stock Pirellis wear out. Does it help with the fishtailing on acceleration?

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's a great deal! 3500 miles is nothing on that car.

You picked up a Quad for not much more than a topped out Ti.

5. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I think so but the Corsas were so awful in the wet that I decided to trash them with just 4000 miles on them. The 4SPS is just a killer tire - though the rear OEM tire sizes are not available so you have to upsize.

I’ve installed the Forza exhaust controller and the eurocompulsion CF shift lever trim. The shift lever trim was more to get rid of that ridge on the back side of the shifter than aesthetics but it does look nice.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FORZA 62, TheMayor and ryalex like this.
  6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I like that, might add it to mine. I have the CF console and trim so it would match well.

7. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    It’s a DIY piece (though not inexpensive). It probably took me an hour to get it installed and most of that was just being real careful to not break the CF piece. The next time it would probably take 10 mins.

8. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    What size tires did you use? No rubbing? I assume you used the same wheels.

9. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    255/30/19 in the front and 295/30/19 in the rear. I wanted to do 255/35 up front but my tire shop said they rubbed. I think they may have worked with wheel spacers. I’ve gone about 600 miles on the new set up and like it a lot. The slightly wider fronts make the steering a tad heavier on center which I think is a plus.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anyone has driven the Giulia QV in the snow or at below 20 degrees temp?

11. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    Closest for me was a rainy day in the high 30’s... and it was scary. Specially in race mode! The stock Pirellis are a summer only tire. Dry summer, at that!

ryalex likes this.
  12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    curious to see how it fares for you long term. I've been tempted by one of these. Maybe another year or two once they really depreciate. The transmission is just a standard auto right?

13. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yes, it's an automatic. But shifts very quickly, and has a feel like a DCT when using paddles in race.

14. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Is this the same ZF BMW uses? If so that is a very good transmission. In last BMW 2 series I drove I enjoyed the paddle shift more than the earlier F1 cars using clutch packs.

Also how's the rear seat leg room for someone that needs to install car seats?

ryalex likes this.
  15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It's a ZF 8 spd, and what surprises me about it is that Race mode's throttle and shifting (combined with the turbo/wastegate) makes it very snappy, in a fun way. Opposite of an Audi which typically have a mushy, slow throttle pedal and shifting oriented for Komfort.

Admittedly, it's small in back. Like an older A4 or 3-series. Only marginally better than my old WRX, although my seat doesn't have to be too far forward to fit a baby seat. The seats have LATCH and have a bucket shape to the lower portion so the seat does sit snug and secure.

16. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    From a driving dynamics perspective, the Giulia QF is the sports sedan Maserati should have built. If it a Maserati level interior it would be the best sports sedan. It’s close now but the interior is too far off BMW and MBZ.

ferraripete and ryalex like this.
  17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Interesting, I like the interior of our Ti Sport and Quadrifoglio better than our 3-series, though our Giulias both have the leather dash etc. option.

18. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I was thinking about the E63 and M5.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I see, no doubt. Though, I don't see those as competitors to the Giulia, or maybe I misunderstood.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

regarding interior quality, I think my only issue would be the headliner needing to have been trimmed in alcantera and the door pockets trimmed in leather like the rest of the car.
    interior design overall is hot and I love my green and white stitching and carbon fiber accents.

21. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    To give an idea of the crispness and speed of the gear changes, i shot this video a while back. What most impresses me with the transmission is the speed of the changes while under WOT versus daily driving.

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yep. upshfts in race wot is...bap-bap-bap...

so close to dct the difference in performance is not in the discussion. maintenance however is:)

23. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    I just want to say that I aspire to buy a Giulia QF six speed in Mexico and smuggle it in just for my personal enjoyment. Why does MX get a manual transmission and we do not?

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I had no idea this was true. Mexico gets a manual stick in the Giulias, including the QV? Wow!

25. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    They don't. Besides, the manual Quadrifoglio doesn't exist anymore. Order books were closed about a year ago, because after the automatic one debuted, very few people were interested in the manual. And there is no manual 4 cylinder petrol Giulia, anywhere in the world.