Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 83 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    2020 Guilia Ti Sport
    Be careful out there...parking.

One of us...my wife or I...absolutely whacked the lower front bumper cover in January...hit a horizontal parking curb, barrier, WTH knows.
    Ends up literally split on the lower right. As you know, they're low, and yes we have the front parking sensors, thankyou.
    FFL, altho an Alfa dealer, advises me that they're incredibly backed up and refers me to another dealer down here.
    I have the insurance adjuster take a look, make an appt to bring it in mid February.

Uh, nope. No staff, no parts, let's try sometime in March. (In the meantime, I've got the car patched together w epoxy, sheet aluminum, self tapping metal screws and duct tape)

March?

Um, noooo. I make it incredibly clear that they have the job, and not to book me til they HAVE THE PARTS!!

Whoo Hoo!! April 26th is the DAY! With paint and all, should be good to go in what, a week? 10 days? It's a bumper cover, for chrissake.

4/26 in it goes. Today is JUNE 7. After much back and forth, today's update is that they MAY have the remaining part SHIPPED by JULY 8...

While I've mellowed somewhat as I've aged, I still can muster up the Irish temper and couple it with some NY @sshole when needed. You can fill in the blanks...

They're gonna put the car together as best they can by Friday. We shall see.

This place is a multi line dealer. I'll bet the damn Toyota customers have parts...

Rags747 likes this.
  2. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Must be the Putin tax, has to be!

3. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((While I've mellowed somewhat as I've aged, I still can muster up the Irish temper and couple it with some NY @sshole when needed. You can fill in the blanks...))

Got the car back today...allegedly pulled parts off a trade in...which they could have done weeks ago.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm still waiting for my fuel pump. Ironically, Alfa did a priority search of the western region and there was no part to be found. They expanded the search to the entire US and it was found in Ft. Lauderdale. They can't ship dealer to dealer. Instead it goes from dealer to depot to dealer. It was supposed to be overnighted from the Oregon depot, and here on the 10th. Part hasn't showed up yet.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I have a 2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 Supercharged. Thinking of downsizing to a 2022 Alfa Guilia Ti.

I’m concerned the power and luxury difference will have me regretting this. Also a touch concerned about rear space.

There’s really nothing else new out there that interests me as a daily besides the Alfa. The Maserati’s may fit the bill a touch better but I’m luke warm on them and they seem quite overpriced.

Any thoughts? Owners insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    dsd

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I know the feeling. I trade a Panamera 4s because it was just too big for an Alfa Guilia Quad with 505 hp. It was so super tight in the rear, I got stuck back there one time when i was just trying it out. I am 6 foot. But I still love the Alfa. It won't give you more room, but the new Veloce would be the best as you want to make sure you have the Limited Slip. I would not own one without it, makes all the difference. But they have no back seat, about like a M3. Even the Maserati guys, at the dealership, tell me quietly "don't buy the Maserati". But they are beautiful and sound so great. Now the Macan with GTS package, make sure you get the Sport and Sport plus buttons. This one wicked handling car. You will have a blast in it. But again the rear is a bit small. I bought the Cayanne, it was just too big. I drove the Macan and thought as soon as I sell the Alfa I will 100% get the Macan GTS with Red Leather, and sport turbo seats. Drove one to make sure, and I walked away from the Macan. Shocking as I really thought that was my answer, but it seemed a bit choppy. I am old-fashioned. I like a Sedan to be a sedan. I don't want a crossover SUV. So I ended up with a CLS 550, turbo V8 with Designo Red leather. Not happy with the build quality of Mercedes. That one made the 30th Mercedes, so I feel like I can mention the build quality. The brakes are the worst. Even in the Mercedes chat room, I quizzed everyone and all the models are warping rotors. One guy bought a new S and needed new rotors at 9,000 then again at 19,000 miles. Under warranty. I still have an old 2005 CLK and the brakes are in mint condition 17 years later. So something is wrong but the company in Germany does not want to hear about it. It happens on the G series GLS, GLK, S, and E, so I just don't know what the next sedan will be.
    But the Alfa keeps popping up.
    Let me know what you do.

09Scuderia likes this.
  8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    You will feel the difference in touch and feel quality for sure. Alfas are really 10 years behind in quality. Not bad but not up to par.

Power I don't know. But probably since your jag probably makes around 500hp no? Is a QV too much $?

Nothing from BMW or Merc or Audi makes me want one in that size/$.

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
  10. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    SCORE !!!

dsd likes this.
  11. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    So, then ... First impressions?

12. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Note that everything is comparative to my Jag limo :)

Very small and light. Super tight handling. Power is pretty responsive and available on demand. fun to drive without being a burden or a chore. I will probably add some accessories and maybe change the start button to red, but otherwise I’m happy. Too bad I need to add a fro t plate (I will get a ticket) and the tow hook bracket is in order.

Ergonomics and button layout is wonky but I’m almost used to it now. Except the turn signal. Who thought that system up?

The rear is a touch too small but we can make it work. The trunk is surprisingly big but has an awkward loading angle.

I really like the newer amenities like CarPlay and wireless charging.

I think the red may be a bit flashy but it works on the car. It’s certainly downsizing from the Jag and I liked it better than the Maserati's (plus it was half their cost). My girls like it a lot more than the old sedan and think this is a cool car— so I scored dad points.

Honestly, the car seems like a relative bargain in this market. I did buy every available warranty, so I have 8yr/100k miles plus 4 years of service.

classic308 and Dai Baracca like this.
  13. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Just BACK into parking spaces.
    Had the car back for maybe a month. Bumper cover self destructs on speed bumps/ parking barriers/WTF knows.

Alfa says NEW bumper cover.
    AGAIN. Mounting clip female notches are molded into the bumper cover...so when a 50 cent part goes? 3k and 6+ weeks last time for new front
    bumper cover.
    Other than that? Love it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Argh! that's the worst! There has to be a way to improve that. Maybe you can make a bracket out of sheet metal to replace the female tabs? Does it bolt to the frame rails and the bumper then clip to it? I've never had it apart before. I did tag my splitter lightly in a parking garage early on. Luckily just flexed it but you can see the seam under the headlight is misaligned by about 1 or 2 mm. I have also seen plastic welding videos where they cn replace the tabs with alot of plastic and wire mesh reinforcements, even on small tabs. But that adds up at the shop. I think a sheet metal bracket would be golden. How about the tabs on the bumper cover?

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I have some SS mesh/epoxy to reinforce the lower tab + maybe spread the load around a bit...

Got some 3M VHB mounting tape for the upper seam + a small roller. A few guys on the Guilia forums swear by it...we shall see. As a last resort, I'll just pay a body shop to glue the top seam.

Trust me, this is a common enough occurrence that there are multiple threads about it on the Guilia forums...incredibly poor design.

16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes I've seen them. I was just curious to see if anyone had come up with a near stock, "disassemble-able" version.

17. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Well, the VHB tape...purchased from AMZ, might have been a bootleg was a total fail. Sanded surface, wiped w alcohol, applied, used roller to apply force, let it sit for 2 days to achieve maximum bond.

No stick whatsoever. I was able to "repair" the lower plastic flange w the screw hole...but I think the next stop is to pay $100 or so to a body shop that has the right panel adhesive.

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Ugh. I have had good luck with 3m heavy duty black foam tape. Outdoor version. I actually hung an after market rear view mirror in my 1994 348 Spider. It took a couple tries to get eniugh surface area to hold in the flexible windshield As a spider it had a bit of give and rough roada really made it vibrate. So about a 1.5 inch square did the trick without being to big. It actually hung on after the kid crossed the center line and hit me head on, totalling the car. Car saved my life. I think the original mirror was removed during respray and lost. Had a funky wind bkosker too, nonstock.

19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    This stuff? Will try when back in FL.
    This time, will buy from legit 3M vendor...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hmm,

Not sure but THIS is definitely the stuff. It is readily available at big box stores and on Amazon. Just make sure it's the heavy duty stuff with Red tape backing on it. It's pretty thin but very strong. I actually mounted a front splitter on the 348 with it and then followed up with nylon bolts just for good measure. It's good to 30 psi IIRC. Sometimes you can find it in flat rectangular patches stacked in instead of a roll.

Oh! And don't sand the surface anymore or leave it clean and smooth. The adhesive will stick better with less air pockets to reduce contact. It stuck very well on glass. Go over it a few times with pressure, like with a roller or a dry microfiber before removing the top backing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-Mount-1-in-x-33-33-ft-Two-Sided-Tape/1002036724

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Automotive goo is the best solution. It's flexible so absorbs subsequent brushes with speed bumps, dips, driveways, etc without pulling the cover off again. Also easy to apply and clean up

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    NYC Fred, Boomhauer and 95spiderman like this.
  23. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just had this happen with my quad. Not sure if it was a driveway or a curb on the track. Either way, it requires a new front bumper skin. It’s a really ridiculous mounting set up