Alfa Romeo GTV6 Alfetta 1980-1987 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Alfetta 1980-1987

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #26 F1tommy, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    Here is a nice video I found on Alfabb with a 3.0 V6 Milano rally car and GTV6 V6 2.5 rally car. The GTV6 rally part is around half way into the video. Not many cars in this price range sound half as good as the singing Alfa GTV6, not even many Maserati's and Ferrari's!!! What a great all alloy V6 engine with steel liners!! At around 2500 lbs the GTV6 was unbeatable in its FIA touring car class for 5 years.

www.dailymotion.com/video/x1j9tp_christian-bouillard_auto

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2009-Chicago April 25th 2009

2. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The best sounding V6 ever.....nothing comes close!

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    go rent Bobby Deerfield, classic movie with Al Pacino as a Euro race car driver, steely nerves, banging hot women, winning races, drives an Alfa GTV6 throughout the movie all over Europe...

hope I have the name of the movie and Pacino correctly :D

4. Scorpion1

Scorpion1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 28, 2006
    I saw an interview with Pacino about Bobby deerfield. The alfetta in the movie was the first car he drove. Growing up and living in NY,he never needed to drive!

--Dave

5. tl731

tl731 Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2004
    Staten Island , NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas L.
    I still love these cars and have not found a nice one yet in the tri-state area....

6. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Is that the green & white one? What the hell is the back of the car resting on? It looks like a suitcase! Wow, I wouldn't want to be under that car!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes, the Totip FIA Jolly Club team cars. That car was also equiped with hydraulic built in jacks, so im not sure why they have extra jacks under the car. Maybe the hydraulic jacks didnt lift the car up high enough to get the torsion bars out.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo 2009-Chicago April 25th 2009

8. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Nice.

The GTV6 came out in '81 in the USA. I was 16, and my dad got one to drive for a week as he was the then-current local Alfa club chapter president. I of course grabbed the keys and had a ball myself !

Highlight was seeing dad and a friend in his Montreal drag race each other for a few blocks. Montreal won, reportedly due to the GTV6's rev limiter...

Just thought I'd share !

9. cchan

cchan Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    #34 cchan, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Wow, great looking Alfa!

11. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I feel bad

I put mine away in the barn I think it was, 1994. The last time I looked it was still there. I guess I lost interest. It needs head gaskets and not because it was overheated. Rust inside the front inner fenders, rust around the windshield.
    It is an 83, I bought it from the original owner. I remember it being a little pricey to repair. It has I think about 90k on it

I had bought a 308, now I have a 348 Speciale.

Hmm I will have to wait until spring to have another look and maybe give it a new home.

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
  13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #38 F1tommy, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    Another GTV6 video, this time covering the 1985 Australian Touring Car Championship. F1 driver Alan Jones drove the Alfa in the under 2.5 class and put the car on pole against much larger engined cars one time. They also show rally coverage after the touring car season ended. You can see how they managed to destroy one of the cars that season. Busy little cars!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSa9Nwl99k8&feature=related

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2009 model contest-Chicago April 25th 2009

14. litespeed1

litespeed1 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    Loved my silver 83 purchased in 86.NEVER owned any 6 cyl car that could touch the sound!

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tremendous auto-I believe this is the car from alfabb.com......one of my all time favorite automobiles.....

16. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #41 AlfettaGTV, Mar 6, 2009
  17. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I had a Balocco edition back in '87....Nice car but a nightmare to keep running. Made my mechanic very wealthy.

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ha, so true until they re-designed the head gaskets and went to a single disc clutch( I like the twin disc clutch better).

4 piece head gaskets were a pain.

Tom Tanner/Ferrari Expo

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

dont forget those flex joints on the drive shaft!

20. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    Oh yaaa!!!! I remember those...took off rom a light once and heard this very loud BANG!!! My mechanic said the dohnut broke....take out the check book once more. Oh....I forgot to mention...just a few miles later, timming belt went on the freeway....bent a few valves as a result.....$3K damage back in '88. Car got rear ended shortly after....insurance company cut me a check for less than half of what I paid...horrible resale (I wonder why..;)

21. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    My car has 185.000 kilometers and 25 years.
    The engine is original, never opened, smokes a lot, but with these mileage... its normal. I'm rebuilding a 3.0 litres to swap the tired 2.5
    Never slip the timing belt, never broke a driveshaft donut, gearbox is sweet, brakes great, handles superb.... I have it for six years now, and I have the log book from the previous owner: it does not reflects a major, unusual or expensive fault or repairing. I've done all the manteinance by myself at home, and never have any major problem, only the usual routine: brake pads, oil and oil-filter changes and periodical checking of all the usual points in virtualy every car.

Also have a 1978 Alfetta GTV 2000, virtually a GTV6 but with a four banger engine. Is a Historic Rally racer, a race car, hard used and abused. Same as above: in five years of ownership and more than 15 Rallyes, it NEVER had any major problem, only a 30 years old hard used gearbox starting to say "ENOUGH", and then, promptly changed by a short ratio one with LSD.

I think onwer with a very faulty Alfa Romeo is occasionated by two reasons:
    1.- A car not well maintained, not well used o not well reparated by properly skilled mechanics.
    2.- A car ruined by previous owner.... as seen on point 1.

The solution: sell it and look for a good unit.

Regards,
    Alvaro,

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Have you seen the resale value on new Maserati's? Italian cars historically
    have lost more value than most cars. The timming belt problem and getting rear ended were not the cars fault. The only time I had a timming belt slip it was the mechanics fault.

Well sorted GTV6's can be very reliable now, as long as they have the later head gasket and properly maintained hydraulic tensioner. Toss the Canadian made spring loaded 164 tensioner in the garbage.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs

23. Motorcitydriver

Motorcitydriver Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #48 Motorcitydriver, Jul 9, 2009
  24. Motorcitydriver

Motorcitydriver Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Bloomfield, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #49 Motorcitydriver, Jul 10, 2009
  25. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Stunning Callaway! Is it an original or a resto mod? I'd love to restore one, but I have to think in the end it would be a big waste of money. There's probably not a market for these like there is (was) for American Muscle.