Alfa Romeo GTV6 Alfetta 1980-1987 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Alfetta 1980-1987

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    I bought one new at Bobcor in NJ (81? 83?) you could get silver, red, or black-except the importer ordered about 75 percent in silver. They painted the sills silver for me. As I recall I walked in the showroom (I had a Duetto) and the sales manager threw me the keys from about ten yards away and said to take it for the weekend. I did, and traded in the Duetto. This was the last Alfa of many that I owned. Once it broke down in NW NJ, and I drove it without the clutch all the way back to Philly, where I was living.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #102 F1tommy, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    71Satisfaction likes this.
  3. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #103 AlfettaGTV, Mar 25, 2013
    The last one GTV6 is the car Rufino Fontes drove in the Portugal championship. Its a Luigi Racing prepared car, the very same car Lela Lombartdi drove to some ETCC victories. Trully and old warhorse, well preserved with all its nicks and dings still visible.

This is the car as is today...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #104 F1tommy, Jan 1, 2014
    A few more FIA Touring manufacturer champion 1982/1983/1984 and 1985 GTV6 photos. It looks like the Luigi team was having a bad day in England!!

Being chased by a couple of Swedish boxes...A turbo charger can make anything fast!!!

Happy New Year.........................

5. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #105 mibi, Jan 5, 2014
    just sold my GTV6- may have been the last one imported (has highest known serial number), and was owned by Andy Reid of classic motorsport magazine. car was bought by person in Chile, so car is no longer in USA. car was near perfect- one of the 2 AC blowers didn't work, but parts sourcing was sometimes difficult, and for an inexpensive car with many made, unobtanium became an occasional event. For example, I had to source a "1986 only" Hall effect speedometer NOS sender in austrailia, when my wires fried on the exhaust pipe and shorted my original one. Still a balanced fun car, plenty of room, great unassisted steering, great V6 and if they or anyone would make a new car like this again, Id buy it. probably the suburu BRZ comes closest, but not a V6 and not as much rear seat room.

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #106 71Satisfaction, Jan 5, 2014
    Nice to find this thread, and thanks for sharing the great pics…

Here is another Balocco SE to continue the streak - this is ours, #77. Bought it from the Chicago area this past fall… Love it to death - it is a total blast to drive and an awesome track car. (PS - The white and silver aftermarket decals will be coming off shortly).
    Cheers!
    - Art

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #107 F1tommy, Jan 5, 2014
    I think I have seen that car before. I remember seeing it for sale and it was pretty clean. I have #210, and it is all torn apart getting restored.

By the way, they only built around 19,000 GTV6's between 1980 and early 1987. Very little change over the 6 year production run. The South African GTV6 3.0 was the rarest. The Balocco is the only true factory special edition sold in the USA(European Grand Prix is very similar in style). The Maratona and Callaway were done in the USA by the Alfa distributor with after market parts.

More GTV6 FIA Euro racing photos:

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #108 71Satisfaction, Jan 16, 2014
    Hi Tommy, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw it out there. Several PO's track-raced it from around 2010. Before IL, it was in Michigan, and before that in CA. I believe there are track photos of it if you Google #77. A local friend just imported a nice original Grand Prix edition from Italy, it's a nice looking package.

Here we are - out for a spin..

9. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi all. I've stumbled across an opportunity to buy a #1 Condition, Alfa Club award-winning Maratona and was hoping I could get some feedback re: current and future value. Low mileage, unmolested, maintained, rust-free, but coming up on a timing belt/valve adjustment service. Also has a trans axle drip at the case seam.

Hagerty shows $19,800 but car has a hefty premium on it...

TIA

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #110 F1tommy, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    I have seen that car. It was sitting next to one of my cars at the Alfa convension in Chicago back in 2008. The car is from Florida and is almost perfect. I am not a fan of the Maratona as it has 1980's bad taste written all over it but that car was very clean. He even waxed the bottom of the car!!! This special edition was not done by the factory, but by the local Alfa US distributor ARDONA. The only US special made at the factory was the Balocco produced in 1982. I could have had either but took a Balocco because of that fact, and it also looks alot better. The mechanical stuff is normal maintenance for these cars and compared to a Ferrari should cost about the same as a wheel. If the car shifts ok the gearbox seal should not be to big an issue. The second gear is the first thing to go. This car should have already had a timing belt change no matter the mileage. If it has not ever had that done you need to get it done before you even drive it fast.

By the way, they only made around 18,000 GTV6's. For an Alfa production coupe that is pretty rare. They made almost 38,000 GTV 1750's and over 40,000 GTV 2000's back in the 1960's and 1970's. All the taxes for the bigger engine in some countries brought GTV6 numbers down.

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    An awesome car and one of my all time favorites with that glorious v6! Never cared for the maratona edition nor the cars with the battering ram bumpers but that can be remedied easily. Always loved the proportions of the car. I think I saw this car advertised- good luck, post pics!

12. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks for your insight. Let's agree to disagree somewhat on the body kit, but thanks for clarifying the Maratona history. I thought the kit was installed by the factory. Yes, I would get it to a shop ASAP if I bought it; the last belt change was in 2007, I think. One thing that bothers me is there isn't much in the way of service records. Owner seems very knowledgeable and handy so does a lot of the work himself, but didn't keep a paper trial. Seems to be that would affect current and future value?

13. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I don't think its on the open market but its there if I want it at a hefty premium...

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #114 71Satisfaction, Jan 10, 2016
    Good luck the the Maratona, Len S -

I like that package a lot, actually. But then again, my formative automotive years were in the 80's, so I'm partial to the reign of fender flares and body kits…

When I was shopping for my GTV6 there was a red Maratona for sale in FL. I almost pulled the trigger on it before lucking into the Balocco and the decision was purely logical; the Maratona was $6k with some mech and cosmetic issues, the Balocco was $4.5k with a fresh engine (plus the original engine as a spare), and no rust.

Entering my 3rd year of enjoyment. The 2nd gear synchro is weak, it helped changing the transaxle oil to Redline 75W-90NS. And a slight vibration motivates me to check the rubber driveshaft bushings.

Here is an updated photo without the fussy emblems and graphics on it.

15. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks. I think the flare kit is somewhat restrained compared to a lot of cars of that era. Remember Zender body kits? I love the black stripe on the Balocco's. And I love the amber fogs! This Maratona is north of $25K...

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #116 F1tommy, Jun 23, 2016
    A few press photos of the original 1981 US model Alfa GTV6 without all the added rubber trim on the doors.

What a great car under the skin.....De dion rear suspension and twin disc clutch/gearbox along with inboard brakes and an all alloy steel liner 2.5 60 degree V6 designed in the early 1970's by Giuseppe Busso.

This car and the Maserati 4200's are the most under valued Italian sportscars on the market and I do not see that changing anytime soon(well maybe a small correction on the GTV6 as they are getting rare for an Alfa, 18,000 produced). Great entry level Italian 2 door sportscar that is a blast to drive and sounds wonderful without an exhaust :).

17. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    #117 NEP, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6 (Tipo 116.CA) Production:-

1980 - 1983 GTV6 2.5 - 11 468
    1983 - 1987 GTV6 2.5 - 10 913
    1984 - 1985 GTV6 3.0 (South Africa) - 228
    1985 - 1986 GTV6 2.5 Twin-Turbo (USA) - 36
    Total:- 22 645

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    one of my all time favorites. the 4 cyc handled even better. styling still looks better than any Audi tt....

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I owned 3 including a 1975 alfetta GT.

All mine were lowered and loaded with shankle goodies ;)

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Hi,

Where did you get those numbers?? The Callaway 2.5 twin turbo was taken from the regular production and modified by Callaway for ARDONA after import to the USA and all started as US model regular production GTV6's. The S.A 3.0 cars are said to be more than 228 because Alfa made more than 228 "3.0 kits" to build in S.A. Maybe they just used the extras as spare parts.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Did not know that. Interesting!

Pity Alfa Romeo did not make a GTV6A, ie. an alloy bodied GTV6. Now that would be special.
    Pete

22. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I owned a Callaway for a week once. Bought it on auto trader and flipped it for twice the money. The fellow who bought it from me already owned a few Callaways. I would like to see pics of the car today. It needed everything when I picked it up.

Dave

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Agreed the 36# are 30#Callaway modified Cars and six by other Dealers. (Tested during 1985 in US 'Road & Track' Magazine.

The 228# production total for South Africa came from UK's 'CAR' magazine June 1985. As the review was June, there may have been additional units produced by Alfa Romeo South Africa or even several private converted 2.5 GTV6's.

24. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    #124 AlfettaGTV, Jul 5, 2016
    The GTV8 La Bomba had alloy body...

I must agree.
    4 cilinder GTV is a toy thru fast corners, not really better handling than GTV6, just different. It flows, you must flow, brake less, brake early, point and turn in with sightly throttle input, let it flow to the apex and then press. GTV6 is pure brute force, less refined... so you can do it the way you want, as you always have power to put the rear axle where you need it.

LSD is a MUST for both cars, specialy if you have a 3.0 as mine and you use it on rainy days.

Now I've switched from 16 to 15 inchers, a set of Speedlines as used by Group A racers. As soon as I do get the car geometry reassigned for the 15's, I'll test the differences...

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #125 F1tommy, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    More racing GTV6 photos from back when it was winning the manufactures championship in Europe in the mid 1980's... The red #41 car won it's class at SPA in 1983 and has AutoDelta stickers on it. By the way this has to be one of the best sounding V6's ever put in a street car. Puts the steel block Dino Ferrari and FIAT V6 to shame. I can almost hear it howl in the photos :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login