Alfa Romeo on their way out of F1? | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo on their way out of F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Alfa Romeo on their way out of F1?
    http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/698691/Alfa_Romeo_on_their_way_out_of_F1/

Alfa Romeo could walk away from Sauber and Formula 1 as a whole at the end of 2020, that’s according to a report in the Italian press.

Alfa Romeo became the title sponsor of the Sauber team in 2018 before expanding that relationship this season.

Entering a technical and commercial partnership with Sauber, the team became known as Alfa Romeo Racing.

That, however, could be short-lived.

F1 journalist Joe Saward told F1sport.it: “Alfa Romeo is not doing very well on the automotive market and it’s considered unlikely that the partnership will continue after 2020.

“The team’s results this year have been rather disappointing and it seems nobody really agrees with the others, despite them all smiling when the cameras are around.”

He added that some at Sauber aren’t happy with the idea of being a Ferrari satellite team especially as Sauber had been in talks with Honda, who have powered Red Bull to two wins this season.

Saward reckons Honda may still be keen on entering a relationship with Sauber should Alfa Romeo walk away, however, he says it “wouldn’t be the same kind of relationship that had been discussed before Sauber’s decision to team up with Ferrari.”

E60 M5 likes this.
  2. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I hope not but we will have to see.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The real question is how much money is Alfa trying to get out of Ferrari to stick around.

TurboFreak650 and spirot like this.
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sadly I can’t see what Alfa FCA get out of f-1

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

william likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Alfa with other “back markers” fill the grid for Liberty who think street races will make great racing. The budget cap will not solve the issues facing teams who lack resources to be competitive and innovate to face the top 3 teams. The spec series of F1 is being slowly created. What is the vision for the series......

william likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If I was running F-1 I'd get with the petrol companies and start using alternative fuels ... and then have them work with manufacturers to use the series to be a test bed ... hybrid petrol hydrogen, lpg, etc... something that can put more $$$ into the sport and make it relevant. ... or try to merge with Formula E.

At this point - they should allow other teams to sell full F-1 cars... like they did in the 50's. what if you want to make your own great - if not then buy off the shelf.

Ferrari can call them Maserati's... or Lancia's.. Mercedes can call them - Maybach's... or Benz., Renault can call them, Alpines, or Matra,....Red Bull can call them ... Lotus, BRM, etc... bring back some names.. but in the end there are just so few who can make an f-1 car and win.

flat_plane_eddie, ChadR and william like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Two very good points in that post.

- Allowing alternative fuels would be a good idea, and ensure the future of the ICE, for those who don't like electric.
    Synthetic and bio fuels already exist.

- As for customer cars, I am convinced they could be the salvation of F1.
    There are only 3 or 4 constructors capable of building winning cars, the other teams are just participants with no hope of winning anything.
    If Haas, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Williams, and Force India were able to buy competitive cars, they could at least compete instead of spending fortunes to be permanent backmarkers.
    Resisting customer cars now will inevitably make F1 a specs series in the long term, IMO.

ChadR likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I agree... obviously. Or teams like Williams and McLaren can sell cars and that opens up a new revenue stream.

william likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The problem is SAUBER.

Ferrari could use a 2nd string team like RB has with Toro Rosso. But Sauber wants to be independent from Ferrari.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not sure to be able to follow you on that one?
    As far as I know...Sauber has been sold by its founder and owner Peter Sauber, and Monisha Kaltenbrunn, to "Longbow Finance", a consortium supposed to be formed by swedish billionaires Finn Rausing, Stefan Persson and Karl Johann Persson, in the middle of 2016. This "new Sauber" has a flirtartion with Honda that was then cut short: they signed a deal with Ferrari.
    What could justify their independance will? They don't have the means to be independant, as far as they cannot get an exclusivity on any engine deal?

Rgds

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alfa-Sauber doesn't look very independent to me right now.
    OK, they have access Ferrari engine, probably the best in the field, but they had to take Kimi and Giovinazzi in exchange !
    The Alfa-Romeo sponsorship probably came as a sweetener, but is the proprietor Longbow Finance still in control?

12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Just more groans and creeks and gasps as F1 descends into drone racing. It will be arcade entertainment with names and brands (from Tampons to Tesla to Ferrari and McLaren) just there for the fan boys, while the technology will all be spec. When the tail wags the dog, it starts walking backwards.

ChadR likes this.
  13. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Sometimes I just log onto the internet on my smart tv, and watch 24 hours of Ring or Spa, Super GT and such. Hardly watch F1 anymore.

Alternative fuels is a great idea.

Develop the technology and save the ICE.

william likes this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If Alfa leave Haas will be next.

375+ likes this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Everyone wants to be independent of Ferrari......

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They could, but for different reasons, IMO.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I fear you are right. The ROI on F-1 participation has to be far less than the investment you put into it. I cant see Haas selling more machine tools because of F-1 participation.

Alfa while an iconic name, has been a DOA car brand since the 80's. I love the Gulia and the 4c, but the stelvio etc... ? hard to compete against Mercedes and BMW ... with huge market share ... let along Lexus and Acura... I wish Alfa all the best - love the history, but just don't see how they continue on. Last time in Italy I begged to rent a Gulia .... kept getting a BMW!!! or Fiat. FCA has ruined Lancia... that is a Chrysler 300!

LVP488, DF1, william and 1 other person like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

As an ex-FIAT-Lancia dealer, back in the 80s, I can tell you that FIAT itself ruined its car business.
    FIAT was thriving in the 60s and 70s, but its quality declined terribly after that.
    I could tell you many stories how poorly built and finished the cars reached our dealership.
    When Alfa-Romeo was included in the Agnelli empire, I couldn't see anything good coming.
    FIAT never respected the heritage and traditions of its different brands.
    The forced association with Chrysler is doomed to fail in the long run.
    I am just glad that Ferrari was extracted from that corporation and allowed to go alone.

Makuono and ChadR like this.
  19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    New merger?
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/30/peugeot-owner-in-merger-talks-with-fiat-chrysler

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Sauber will stay in F1 without Alfa's stickers on their car. They'll just put someone else's stickers on them. I don't car about name branding, anyway. My toothbrush has as much Alfa Romeo in it as Sauber's cars.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, you can always replace stickers by other stickers, but they don't all have the same value.
    Right now carmakers are the most generous sponsors left in F1, so if one departs the effect will be felt, IMO.