Alfa Romeo Sauber | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Sauber

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Feb 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham

Reliability for executive cars aged one to four
    Rank Make and model Score
    1 Volvo V60 (2010-2018) 99.3%
    2 Vauxhall Insignia (2008-2017) 97.5%
    3 Alfa Romeo Giulia (2016-present) 96.9%
    4 BMW 3 Series (2012-present) 96.6%
    5 Mazda 6 (2013-present) 95.9%
    6 Skoda Superb petrol (2015-present) 95.2%
    7 Audi A3 Saloon (2013-present) 93.9%
    8 Audi A4 petrol (2015-present) 93.7%
    9 Skoda Superb diesel (2015-present) 93.2%
    10 Volkswagen Passat (2015-present) 92.9%
    11 Ford Mondeo (2014-present) 92.6%
    12 Audi A4 diesel (2015-present) 91.9%
    13 Jaguar XE (2015-present) 83.7%
    14 Mercedes-Benz C-Class (2014-present) 83.1%

Disagree !

The RWD Giulia and 4WD Stevio are very good cars, the QV versions (with essentially V6 versions of the Ferrari V8 T) are exceptionally fun cars to drive.
    You can see above how What Car, which is the driest and most consumer focused UK car mag, rated Giulia reliability against its peers.
    F1 and motorsport are exactly right for Alfa Romeo.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alfa-romeo/stelvio-quadrifoglio/first-drives/alfa-romeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio-2018-uk

stavura, F1tommy, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not correct. 10 years ago you could make this case. I do think F1 cars sound horrible and are way to long now. I wish Alfa would race in sportscars and not F1 as they would be allowed to win. Maybe they will with the new rules. Would love to see Alfa at Lemans, Sebring, Daytona, Road America...ect...

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    True, but nevertheless, and this is really astonishing to me...
    In Europe at least (sorry for our American hosts, no offense intended...) the brand still benefits from an in-cred-ible "brand loyalty".
    Being an "Alfisti" is more or less akin to being a "Ferraristi"; if you put this in perspective with the fact that nothing worth the name has emerged from Alfa since the Busso V6 forty (40 = FORTY) years ago, the support they get from their loyal supporters, it is nothing short of incredible.

Rgds

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #79 F1tommy, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    No offence taken as I have owned 2 GTV'6 for over 35 years and a 1969 Spider and GTV for 32 years.

Alfa people have a hard time excepting new things until they go out of production and become "classics". I remember when the Busso came out the 4 cylinder guys ran it down all the time just like you are doing with the new cars. The Giulia Quad is the best sedan Alfa has ever made hands down. The 4 C is the best small sports car they have ever made.(But not the best looking by any means)

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    "My first love was Alfa Romeo"; Enzo Ferrari

So as a Ferrarista our histories are entwined and many of us will have a great deal of attraction for the brand.
    For many of us it was the car we could afford that gave us some of the Ferrari feeling before buying our first Ferrari.
    You know, a great sounding engine and interior parts falling off.

F1tommy makes a good point above though, I would love to see Alfa used in a serious FCA attempt to win Le Mans.

Sergio was quite protective of them too, the below when Ferdinand Piech said VW would like to buy Alfa.

"As long as I'm the CEO of Fiat and Chrysler, Mr. Piech will never have Alfa. ... I told him in his face. I'm repeating it publicly, and I'll send him an email, if you like."

kandi and kes7u like this.
  6. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Try getting behind the wheel of a Giulia Quadrifoglio.... You'll probably retract your statement.

Nortonious and 635CSI like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #82 william, Feb 8, 2019

Try to find their equivalent in the Alfa range today.

Most of the interesting Alfas have not been replaced.

Discontinuity is an Alfa trademark.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The "basic" Guilia suffers comparison with its German rivals according to many write ups.

That's the one that will be sold in numbers (probably diesel too), and not the top of the range.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are talking about top of the range cars, with all the extras, the most powerful engines, and at twice the price!

At that level, the Alfa Guilia QV is up against the BMW M3, and Mercedes-AMG 63.

The Stelvio QV is against the BMX X5M and the Mercedes GLE AMG.

But the majority of Guilias and Stelvios sold in Europe will be mundane diesel anyway, and at that level, Alfas are not ground breaking by any mean.

In any case, the major drawback of owning an Alfa is the poor quality of the dealer network compared to the other brands.

The resale values aren't great either.

10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yeah sorry they are the top line models but I'm in the fast car game with an Italian bias. Must be why I'm on FERRARI chat.

The 4 pot 2.0 petrol Velocce has been very well reviewed and recieved in the UK too.

Diesels, Italian, German whatever are not the future.

Sent from my SM-G965F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I love my GTV6's but I wish they handled and were as fast as the 4C. Let's face it, Alfa is making the best products they have ever made. Drive a Giulia Quad or a 4C and you will see.
    Now on styling I think the old cars were more original and overall much better looking.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #87 william, Feb 8, 2019

Maybe, but they just don't sell !!!

Alfa has been on the decline since they came into FIAT's orbit in 1986; remember the Alfa Sud, or the Arna (with Nissan engine FFS !).

They first became re-badged FIAT, with a few coupes like the Brera with GM engines (!!), and they lost all identity.

In UK, where I live, the dealer network is terrible.

I accept that old Alfas like the Guilia Sprint GT, the old style Guilia and Guilietta the GTV have their fans and are now collectors items.

Alfa tries everything; they remodelled a FIAT UNO et badged it Alfa Mito as a urban car, but it was a flop.The 4C is too small and unpractical to attract many sales (last year, 62 in UK, 80 in France and 102 in Germany).

The new Guilia comes from nowhere, and maybe will not be replaced, as there is no continuity in the range. It may be a good car, but it puts itself against the best saloon cars from Germany where the lineage is certain, the quality well known and the after sale service excellent.

13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    As the driver of a 2017 Giulia TI Lusso (with the performance package), I am very happy. In fact the car is great. I've put in on the track and taken it on my local favorite twisty sections of Los Angeles and the local mountains and the car just does it all so well. Forty years ago I bought my first Alfa, an Alfetta sedan. My daily driver and track car for seven years. It had a sad end I won't go into here. I've owned a lot of Alfas since then including two full time race cars. This new one is the best...and its a better performer than all the other cars I have owned, including a 93 RS America, a 95 Carerra 2, a 2000 and a 2003 Carrera and a 2006 Carrera S. The steering on the Giulia is so tight...the brakes have yet to fade...the engine/transmission marriage keeps me totally entertained on even the most mundane drives. The four cylinder engine puts out 280 hp and 305 lb of torgue. An up grade on that engine due out late this year supposedly boosts that to 350 hp. And of course their is the QV version using the 2.9 twin turbo V6 with 505 hp. A Giulia coupe is coming and I would love them to bring the smaller hatchback Giulietta over here. The negative consumer reports and customer surveys have more to do with the Chrysler dealerships selling and servicing Alfa. For those who haven't driven one, do yourself a favor and have some fun.

Makuono and 635CSI like this.
  14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Although the dealers should be improved England is a very small market that likes German cars more than even the USA(you even have German police cars in London). In most of the world Alfa sales have done pretty well. In North America they have doubled their previous record. The 4C was not meant to be a big seller.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    "
    Alfa-Romeo-auto-sales-statistics-Europe

Alfa Romeo has struggled for the last couple of years, because of lack of new products and a heavy dependence on Europe, since 90% of its sales are in this continent. Actually, Alfa Romeo depends on its home market of Italy for half of its European sales in recent years. With car sales in Italy in a continuous decline from 2009 to 2015, this has not been a good spot for the brand to be in. Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has revealed four different turn-around plans for Alfa Romeo in the 9 years he has been in this position. He wants Alfa Romeo to become a competitive premium player in worldwide markets, much like Maserati, but then less expensive and less exclusive. His previous goal of 500.000 worldwide sales in 2014 has been revised twice, but it will be hard to even return to 100.000 sales with continued postponement of new products and no replacements due for the existing two aging models.

Alfa’s best selling car, the Giulietta, has just been facelifted and won’t be replaced for a few years, if at all, while the smaller MiTo may not be replaced at all. The Giulia midsized rear wheel drive sedan finally replaced the discontinued 159 in 2016, and the brand launched its first SUV in 2017: the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Beyond that there are plans for a large rear wheel drive sedan based on the Maserati Ghibli as a successor to the 166. A small crossover and a large SUV based on a Jeep platform are in the pipeline for the period 2018-2020 as well. So let’s hope Alfa Romeo’s new products hit the spot with customers and that they haven’t switched to Audi or other brands by that time.

Alfa sales in Europe in 2018: 83.438 cars
    Market share: 0,00%

Alfa-Romeo US-car-sales-statistics

Alfa Romeo was re-introduced to the United States in 2008 with the 8C Competizione sports car, of which 90 units were imported into the US, as well as 35 of the 8C Spider. This was followed by the 4C coupe and spider in 2015. The brand had been previously sold in the US from the mid 1950s until 1995, during which time the Spider (Duetto) was the most popular model. The last Alfa Romeo to be sold during that time was the 164, which had replaced the Milano (known as the 75 in Europe)

Alfa will continue to import all of its vehicles for the US market from Italy.

Currently, Alfa Romeo sells the 4C, the Giulia midsized sedan and the Stelvio midsized SUV in the United States.

Alfa sales in theUSA in 2018: 23.800 cars
    Market share: 0,00% "

Source : carsalebase.com/us-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/

A brand that stops selling on a market for 13 years and then wants to make a come-back cannot be called "reliable" by its customers.
    That can be excusable for truly exotic cars, but not mass-produced vehicles.
    At least when you buy from a German brand, you know you won't be let down by the dealers network and each model is renewed regularly.
    I speak as someone who had a dealership in the past.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #91 F1tommy, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Well Alfa has helped put Jaguar in the hole in the USA. So maybe Jaguar should just go home also. And other than the marketed at Ferrari dealers Alfa 8C Alfa Romeo had been out of the N.A. market for 20 years not 13(other than Mexico).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

william likes this.
  17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    By the way, I love the way the F-type looks. Alfa is supposed to be working on a car that is similar to the F-type. We will see if it ever happens. I see they have a Sauber F1 test chassis at the Chicago Auto Show on display and the 4C Italia. Alfa is doing better, but a lot of work still needs to be done. I want both Alfa and Jaguar type brands to survive as I am so sick of German cars. They are as common as Toyota's around here.

kandi and 635CSI like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The brands that sell in China will survive: it's the largest market now.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    https://www.motoring.com.au/fca-confirms-new-alfa-romeo-gtv-and-8c-112953/

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Alfa Romeo F1 going very well in Barcelona.
    Giovinazzi just gone second behind Charles.

Bas, 375+ and Makuono like this.
  21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am hoping that Gio keeps it on the tarmac.

Bas likes this.
  22. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let's give the Alfa Sud credit for being ahead of its time, and pioneering the 'Green' movement. After all, it was the first 100% bio degradable car. Indeed I believe almost all of them have quietly 'returned to the earth' by now.

william and Bas like this.
  23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Seems to be working ! Go Kimi Go

william likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What is Maurizio doing these days, anyway?