Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce!

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Fpassion, Aug 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Duetto is such a great design. If I ever sell my 355, I think a duetto might have to be next.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #27 TheMayor, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    I had 2 74's and a 91. Actually, I'm looking for another. I like them.

Pretty dependable. You will go through clutches every 50 or so but it's an easy job. They don't overheat unless there's something wrong with the pump or the radiator is clogged. The rear axle swing arm bushings wear out about every 60K miles and make the rear seem like it's on jelly but it's an easy fix. Valves last about 100 -120K and the bottom ends are rock solid if you don't run them out of oil.

The biggest problem is rust, interior plastic breaking and cracking, tops wearing out, and people hitting you in the front or the rear. If it's the front, the bumpers and the nose is toast. If its the rear, the rear fender buckles by the wheel arches.

Spica is a bit of a pain but mostly reliable. The auto choke mechanism is a joke so you just use the throttle pull knob with a cheap aftermarket kit. They backfire when costing downhill because the solenoid shut off valve always fails. I call it "character".

Compared to a Fiat 124, the Alfa Spider is the Space Shuttle. :)

Not fast but a lot of character and style. Isn't that the essence of Alfa?

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Brilliant summary! Did you love the series 2's?

4. cigarette

cigarette Karting

Sep 8, 2009
    #29 cigarette, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #31 TheMayor, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Someone was on DRUGS. That was one of the worst years ever for spiders. If you want good spider to collect, it has to be before 76 with chrome bumpers and Spica in great shape (no rust).

This one is clean... but it's the wrong year. Don't get me wrong... this is a nice car... but it ain't worth $22 grand plus commission.

Otherwise, they go on Ebay for less than 10 all the time and I don't think they are undervalued anymore than any other sports cars of the 70's and 80's. Fiat's, MG's, Triumph's, Datzun Z, etc. There's a lot of them out there and a lot them are total junk.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #32 Mang, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Agreed....but 82's are decent years too as this is the last of the series 2 kamm tail's, but first with the dependable Bosch injection. 83's went to front and rear spoiler, and from then on styling took a fall :(. Stainless bumper conversion and '82 is a good car, but agreed, this was kind of out there...gotta figure $22k is a drop in the bucket for some of the high rollers at auctions, some player probably sprung for the car for a mistress or gf :D

Still, Alfa's have been trailing their contemporaries and rust free, nice examples are gonna rise in value, no doubt.

As far as kamm tails go, I would think the rare '71 1750 spider, followed by 72-74 series 2's are gonna be the fast risers, they are the prettiest pininfarina design and the purest in the opinion of most.

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Good spider video...agree with him completely.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ux6tT2Lh8]Alfa Romeo Spider.flv - YouTube[/ame]

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #35 Mang, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Looking at a Series 4 '91 that doesn't have the factory hardtop. This was an option, right? Is this a deal breaker? Thanks.

12. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    It was an option. Not a deal breaker at all.

13. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    Mine...
    [​IMG]

With some good friends:
    [​IMG]

14. cardog

cardog Karting

Apr 23, 2012
    Beacon, NY 12508
    Full Name:
    Chris Ungaro
    I know that they are the "derided ones", but I like my '83. Yes, it has the duck tail, BUT, they are rather well rust proofed by then, it has the dependable, (though less enthusiastic) Bosch FI, and It still has the beautiful twin binnacle dash. You get used to the bumper look, it isn't all that bad, (until it is parked next to a slim chrome bumper one)

Skidkid likes this.
  15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #40 Mang, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Reviving this thread as a stray Alfa Spider followed me home recently. I unearthed a very straight and zero rust original ‘78 with factory hardtop. I’m back dating it slowly but surely, and performing a Mang sympathetic restoration. I’m not planning a repaint as it has an incredible straight body with patina that looks just right. I am addressing small flaws. Here today I engineered a successful body repair. I don’t want to use any filler so I rigged up a railroad spike and vice grips to pull the steel back into place. It worked pretty damn good! Did the amber lenses, euro bumpers and license plate lights, removed the US version, so now I have 3 holes need filling on either side of plate. Gonna remove the rear US side marker lights and plug those holes at the same time. Welding time. It has a plum red interior and carpets, definitely keeping all the original bits. Need re-dyeing. One seat to redo, and installing a new convertible top - chose navy...so silver, plum, navy, and I have an uber rare set of Campagnolo magnesium wheels in gold going on soon. Color splash!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tantumaude and BT like this.
  16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I need to get back to working on mine. Just minor stuff. Both door cards are off as I was lubricating the windows and redoing the mirrors. Center console is out as I replacing the inner shift boots. And I need to do the front brakes as the right front is sticking.

But, still a beauty at 228,000 miles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono and Mang like this.
  17. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Miss mine terribly. 1974 with Webers. Had too much rust and I was far too tall for it. I put Porsche 914 seats in it, which helped a bit, but after having a stone nearly hit my forehead (which was above the top edge of the screen), I had to sell it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mang and TheMayor like this.
  18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I am once again thinking about picking one up. It is one of the cars that I do miss.

19. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    I’ve got a 94 CE with ~17k miles in excellent shape that I’m considering selling. No room anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow that's amazing. I had 2 of these the same year.

IMO, 72-74 are the best years because of the bumpers.

Hard to get a good one today. So many were trashed in the 80's and 90's

Mang likes this.
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #47 Mang, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  23. Mang