Alfa Romeo Stelvio | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by that boy asad, Nov 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like the Maserati better but this has to be cheaper.

2. that boy asad

that boy asad Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shahir
    Stelvio Quadrifoglio is 505hp, AWD, 0-60 in 3.9 seconds, and Top Speed of 177 mph

3. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Times are changing, and brands must adapt or die. I like the Stelvio, will need to see it in person though.

Performance figures are impressive, will probably smack around the competition like the Giulia did, in terms of lap times of course not soft touch plastics :)

4. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    i'm still one of the old school that just hates SUVs. the only solid argument for a SUV is the POV from the driver's seat and that's only necessary due to the OTHER SUVs on the road. i'm a wagon guy and prefer the euro mindset of tourings, estates, avants... you get the car ride quality with similar cargo. i might catch some **** for saying this, but there are way too many soccer moms out there driving escalades and suburbans and whatever else with 1 or 2 kids. so not necessary!! take that same powertrain and plop it into a wagon - that would be awesome!

5. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I agree. Way too many SUV's on the road driven by incapable drivers

6. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Looking forward to seeing in person, so far styling looks great!

7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This to me is "the sportiest" looking and positioned SUV on the market.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'm really liking this from Alfa, especially if it allows more and more enthusiast car investment a la Porsche and the Cayenne. May be a tough choice between this and the new Jaguar F Pace for our next family SUV in a few years.

Great commercial here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUP4Epnp4I[/ame]

10. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    +++++++++++111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I dislike them too, but if I have to look at so many of them, better than they look (and sound) like this.

I still think the F-Pace is the one to beat in the looks department.

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
  13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #14 Robb, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice ad. Not that crazy about the SUV in general.

I agree that the jaguar f-pace looks great. Not really one way or the other on the Stelvio to me.

Ive seen the Maserati and it is ok. Interior on the maser feels very cobbled together...

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #15 Robb, Nov 20, 2016
  15. that boy asad

that boy asad Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shahir
    #16 that boy asad, Nov 21, 2016
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    So if you look at this and a BMW and end up buying the BMW, it would be known as a Stelvio Pass??

8^)

SV

17. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    First prototype drive review by Georg Kacher.

"The Stelvio would drive circles round the soon-to-be-replaced X3, is a more emotional piece of kit than the nicely balanced Q5, and feels a bit more refined than Jaguar’s F-Pace. But the Macan is a tough nut to crack. Dynamically, the Alfa comes close; in terms of ride comfort, even the Stelvio’s optional bigfoot 19-inch wheel/tire package is more spine-friendly than the corresponding Macan footwear. Value for money is another strong point: the Veloce is expected to undercut the X3 by 20 percent and the all-in QV is said to cost 15 percent less than the Macan Turbo. In the high-tech department, however, the Italian contender falls short of its German rivals. Missing from the options list are several assistance systems, LED headlights, head-up display, and an air suspension. But who else offers rosso competizione in an executive car park dominated by depressing black, snore white, and yawn gray?"

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Prototype Drive | Automobile Magazine

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think the wheels need to be at least 1in bigger.

19. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
  20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Saw one this morning.

I didn't know they were out yet.

V. nice looking... no pic it was driving 180 degrees from me.

It was RED, as it should be.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Most likely a test vehicle. They've already shown it in public so there's no need to cover it up.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Having had a subaru forester Turbo, various Acura MDX then a Chev equinox(current) and my wife Merc GLC, I have no issue with an SUV a crossover one in particular, provided they are porperly designed for what they do best.

I do have major issue with ones pretending to be sportscars, particularily the porche ones, which are hard riding and seem to miss the point. A crossover suv can afford you a degree of suspension movement and compliance not probable in a car. If you live in snowy climes with particularily crappy roads as in the NE they are an ideal all around vehicle.

Yes an awd wagon may do the job too,

However when pressing on in our winding and undulating backyard CT country lanes the higher suv seat height means you can see over undulating road humps. Meaning you can maintain a much faster average pace than in a car if you care not to drive blind, while depressions and lumpy surfaces are far better absorbed at speed too.

So good are modern cars that what you give up in crossover handling for sitting taller is these days for most roads pretty ,minimal to not measuable unless at the limit, where pretty much no one goes in their daily.

Horse's for courses. Seems like modern suspensions and tech can give us a small or medium sized crossover suv that has more handling and speed than can readily be deployed on road anyway. The Giulia with its reportedly compliant suspension leads me to believe that Alfa will produce a superior riding and driving product to the German.

But yes If I lived in LV or LA a SUV might just a big piece of metal blocking my windsheild being driven by the clueless..

There is also a vast difference between a crossover suv and a solid axle escalade, its like comparing a miata to a minivan. There is also a vast difference between the way a crossover on apropriate suspension and wheels drives to one with hard springs, shocks and big wheels drives. One is useable, the other pretends to be a sportscar and may show decent laptimes, but is a ruined experince in every other way.

Point is there are some really great driving and riding crossover suv's and they do a particular job better than any other vehicle. But yes far too many are just marketing crap for those who cant tell.

The masser I thought looked ugly overdone and somehow cheap, couldnt figure why anyone would buy one. the Jag is let down by its motor and uninspired inetrior. The Alfa seems to me, just right.

VAF84 likes this.
  23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    This looks to be a bad- ass SUV rather than a leather bound want to be.

24. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    This is on my list more so than the Giulia. Hopefully driving dynamics are similar