Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Dec 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    It is not a matter of front end regulations. The difference is that the Giulia has a much shorter front overhang than the Ghibli: 795mm vs 935mm.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Actually it is regulations on both of them, but you are right. It's just not as bad on the Maserati due to the longer overhang. Cars are not as pretty from the front as they used to be because of that.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes because they were aiming squarely at the BMW 3 Series.

I still think the question of Alfa's success will not be in the product but in the dealers and service. Putting them in Fiat dealers is a real bad first step that they may never recover from.

Mini went into BMW dealers so this little econo box got the benefit of a positive rub off. What rub off does Alfa get from Fiat?

I saw today that the Fiat 500x is not selling but the same car sold as the Jeep Renegade is a huge success. There's your answer.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

I agree with you on service and dealership experience. At least here in Montreal it seems the first 3 or 4 Alfa retailers seem to be independent of Fiat. I think that's positive and hopefully they mimic Maserati

5. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Alfa's will be sold at Maserati dealers and Fiat dealers it seems. Here in Atlanta area they are being sold at Jim Ellis Maserati and Fiat of Morrow.

Dave

6. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    What is this? Fiat Chrysler shrugs off negatives, helped by Maserati, Alfa Romeo spin-off theories FCA rumored to sell off Alfa Romeo and Maserati? If it's gonna be true then Sergio hardly keeps his promises! Promised to invest 5 billion euros for Alfa Romeo five years plan and make it as global premium brand? Guess what they haven't even spent 5 billion euros yet maybe just 2 billion but already ran out the cash it could be a rebirth for Alfa Romeo and Maserati, especially Maserati, cuz they never really had money to make a new model to replace the current GT and delay the Alfieri until 2019-2020 I think VW might interested in Alfa Romeo, and Chinese would love to purchase them all, they have money all they need is technology, so if everything money can buy they will buy it for sure, like they bought Pirelli! It's shame that FCA's finance is like a black hole, everything they do is adding more debt, how is Sergio shrugs off 7 billion debt by the end of 2018 when he retire? What do you guys think?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sergio is an accountant. He goes where the money is. That's all he cares about (unfortunately).

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Bob,

What does this mean for alfa ? Will they survive? Will they find a good owner? Will the Giulia be able to become a great car?

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Didn't FCA just pour billions into Alfa-Maserati?.....I would assume it's normal for them to have serious debt in order to get the product mix on the right path, and initially it seems to be paying off. The Levante is posting double digit profit margins.

I would be suprised if they sold Maserati or Alfa at this stage, both brands representing the premium sector within FCA and thicker profit margins than other FCA brands.

To be honest, If and when they do sell them, I'd rather have them end up like JLR or Volvo than be absorbed into VAG.

Wasn't VW eyeing Alfa a few years ago prior to dieselgate?

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I really think SM will have to sell one of the bread and butter brands and not Alfa/Maserati. Look for Jeep to be sold. I still think the FIAT branded cars will not last in North America another 2 years. It was a bad idea to bring FIAT back the N.A. Alfa on the other hand could be a good seller if done right but at this point they are really screwing up with the dealers even if the cars are great.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #636 F1tommy, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    For an idea on North America bigger cities I just counted Alfa dealers in the Chicago metro area and it shows 7 with several being Alfa/Maserati. That's more than they have ever had. I remember only 3 Alfa dealers back in the 1980's and 1990's. So compared to old Alfa they are doing great. Compared to BMW wich has 11 they are still on paper pretty good. The BMW dealers are well established and larger with better service departments. It all depends on how good these Alfa dealers handle the business as all dealers are by no means equal!!! NYC has only 4 and if you count way out 7 or 8 and LA metro 11.

For Canada Toronto metro wich is the biggest city in Canada and around half the size of the Chicago Metro they have very few. I only count 3 in Ontario proper so far and 7 in all of Canada according to the Alfa Canada website, so they do need more dealers up there.

12. JSR29

JSR29 Rookie

Jan 5, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Scott Rothermel
    Chicago is over-dealered for Maserati. Even for the wishful thinking sales projections. No reason for the number they have.

Alfa died the first time in the US when it went to Chrysler dealers and Maserati/Alfa are going the same way again. In the 90's ARDONA was going to save Alfa because Chrysler dealers reallly knew how to sell cars and the existing Alfa dealers didn't. Turns out Alfas weren't Chryslers and Alfa buyers weren't Chrysler buyers.

I know, I know, it's much more complicated than that but, as one involved with Alfa and Maserati for a long time, the chasing volume mentality of FCA as regards to Maserati, seemingly to the detriment of the brand, really bugs me. And I expect Alfa to go the same way. Too bad. And I wanted a new stick shift Alfa. That's my rant.

13. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I had the Ghibli S, and scrapped the front end and cross bars under the exhaust down pipes over any speed bump. I've owned a lot of low sprung sports cars but I found the Ghibli unusable in parking lots with speed bumps. I hope the Giulia doesn't have the same issue.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #639 TheMayor, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    All points show the Giulia and the new SUV are going to be awesome. I'm quite sure I'm going to get a QF next year.

I think that there's a lot of Ferrari DNA in these two and you have to wonder if they split, would it be the same.

But look at Jag after leaving Ford. It's pretty impressive what TATA has done with them.

BTW: The Mas Ghibli never did it for me. The Alfa Giulia is aiming to be the best sport sedan in the world and the Stelvio the best sports SUV. It's a pity they delayed the Alfieri

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #640 F1tommy, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    I forgot about those very lame Chrysler dealers. I think there were 2 in the Chicago area. So back in the early 1990's they had 5 dealers in the metro. I think I saw 1 of each model at each of those Chrysler dealers when I went to visit, 1 Alfa 164 and 1 Alfa Spider both sitting over in the corner of the lot!! I think Suburban Auto Imports sold 90% of the Alfa's in Chicago back then, and they were the largest Alfa dealer in North America.

Having all these dealers on paper does not mean a lot of cars are moving. Some of these dealers are pretty small. I see another 8th dealer downtown in the loop so we should get atleast 8 Giulia's in Chicago before Alfa pulls out of N.A. :)

Also these are shared dealers with some having Maserati and some FIAT and a few with everything. They are all hurting other than the older Maserati/Ferrari dealers. If Alfa markets the Giulia and Stelvio right that could change. I know the Italians so I am not holding my breath so enjoy them while they are still here:) I wonder if we can expect another the birds and the bees and the spiders or grocery shopper 164 ads.

Still can't believe the small amount of Canadian dealers...Something is strange about that. Is SM trying to give all the business to some of his Canadian friends by not making more dealers??

And before I forget, have a Happy New Year. Finally a year in wich we can buy an Alfa Romeo daily driver again!!! They are good and reliable cars. I put 160,000 on one of my 164's and it was like a truck for reliability until it got over 15 years old. Clutches and wear items aside it was a great Alfa FIAT, and it was around 3500lbs without carbon fiber and aluminum parts.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There is blue Giulia qv at the Alfa dealer in Naperville.

Looks very good. I saw a few Giulia in Paris last week ans they look very good even in non qv version.

$79k though..wonder what will be the value a year from now.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #642 F1tommy, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fake news????

https://www.autoedizione.nl/alfa-romeo-4c-cup-vanaf-2018-duitsland/

"From next year there may be a real Alfa 4 c Cup organized in Germany. Our sport reporter pointed out to us on this particular fact that at our eastern neighbours will take place. The suitable race version of the beautiful ultra light Alfa Romeo 4 c with Centre motor, already exists and is the fruit of unbridled passion and commitment of the people of Squadra Sportiva. This company was founded in 1997 and was becoming more commercially active by parts for the Alfist on it for our very well known forum Alfisti.net. The success of Squadra Sportiva eventually led to the acquisition of the ' Italian Tuning ' by Novitec in 2013."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login