Alfa's answer to the California: 8C spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alfa's answer to the California: 8C spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by MalibuGuy, Jun 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The source of 30 US cars was from my local F dealer email. Sounds very low but time will tell. I thought they were making the same number as the coupe. Maybe it's 30 cars a year for the US.

2. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    Talked to the man in charge of the Spyder project and its only 30 period. they can make up to 35 if the demand deems it. Production starts late august to december then its done. Im specing mine out monday. Most likely Bianco Fuji with Black interior

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #28 Ferrarista3, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have seen several 8Cs on the roads. The car sounds amazing and it's drop dead gorgeous. It really is an amazing sight.

The Cali is quite nice. Certainly the Fcar I like the least, and IMO it certainly doesn't have the presence, the beauty or the charisma of the 8C.

To add some color to the thread, here is a pic of an 8C with Florida plates that I saw in Monaco the Wednesday before the grand prix:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Congrats- I think it would look great in silver too but I don't know if that is one of the offered colors.
    I think the spider looks much better that the coupe.

5. mercedesbenze55amg

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    Bianco Fuji will be paint to sample (another 20K) plus im getting two sets of rims the stock ones and the twin spoke design with darker paint with the race tires. Should be exceptional

6. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    #31 MacGeek, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
    Well, actually Bianco Madreperla is one of the offered colors, for the standard metallescent paint surcharge. It looks pretty much like Bianco Fuji to me.

The standard colors, btw, are:
    - Rosso Alfa (flat red)
    - Rosso Competizione (metallic red)
    - Bianco Madreperla (pearl white)
    - Grigio Magnesio (a medium shade of metallic grey, a bit lighter than Grigio Silverstone)
    - Celeste (beautiful metallic light blue, think modern version of the classic Alfa light blue, as in the Giulietta Spider and the 8C 2900B Lungo in Alfa's museum).

As for production, it's starting right around this timeframe. The car I drove was one of the last preproduction vehicles, identical to a customer car in every aspect. Mine was scheduled to be delivered in July, but will be probably pushed back to September.

7. mercedesbenze55amg

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    European Production is starting around now yes, but US production is slated for late august. I am going between the Bianco Fuji/Bianco Madreperla and TDF blue, ill figure that out today. Hope you get yours quickly! its a beautiful machine!

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Assuming that the prices were about the same, would you rather own the Porsche Carrera GT or the Alfa Spider???
    Although the GT is now 4-5 years old, it is still an impressive car.

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #35 jimpo1, Jun 16, 2009
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its funny but I think the Califorina makes a better looking spider and the Alfa a much better looking coupe (one of the best coupes in a long time).

But, each to their own. I wouldn't mind having.... BOTH!

11. mercedesbenze55amg

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    The CGT is no contest two separate cars. A person that wants a CGT is not going to look at the alfa as a comparable car.

12. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    exactly the reason I paid more for a 2000 360 modena last year than a 2004 gallardo.. i'll take the beautiful car which is slower please.. 10 times out of 10..

it's about passion and love.. numbers have no place here!

13. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +1 Agree

14. rick18

rick18 Karting
    BANNED

May 4, 2009
    +1, this fugly thing makes the california look like a super car

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There will be 30 US cars. If you want one PM me.

16. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Very curious to know how the coupes are doing in the secondary market.

It just seems to me that a car badged as an Alfa Romeo has an extraordinarily limited market at that price point. But then again, I really don't know s**t about marketing. And they're only making very few of them.

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Only 30 out of 500 spiders are coming to the US.
    Does anyone know how that number compares with the coupes? I think 500 coupes were made too. How many were US cars?

18. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    84 of the coupés are US cars.

Regarding the secondary market, I'm not sure about what's happening in the US, but in Europe they're holding well. You can't get a used one under MSRP, they are all over. Most seem to change hands for ~200k Euros (original sale price was 162,550 Euros, plus options).

19. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I saw a black 8C coupe at Palm Beach supercar weekend in January and almost cried. It's amazing beatiful in the metal. IMO the 8C Coupe/Spider combo is one of the best looking designs in a very, very long time.

Can't wait to see a Spider.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #46 MalibuGuy, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    In the US, I've seen three coupes at various dealer showrooms in my area over the past few months at sticker. I think the US car market has suffered more from the psychological effects of the economic downturn than in Europe.

Anyone know why so few spiders are coming to the US? Maybe the US exotic car market has shrunk compared to other world markets?

21. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Look, all the quotes about 0-60, etc is so irrelevent. Unless you want to collect tickets, which is the quickest way to increase your monthly liabilities (aka higher insurance costs) than whats the point? Is the car beautiful to you? Does it sound incredible? Is it fun to drive? Than the rest is just mindless talk and a pissing contest. These cars are so far out of most people's abilities it's not even funny.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #48 MalibuGuy, Sep 30, 2009
    Saw this in Cannes over the weekend. It is available for immediate delivery too!
    Looking at the price of 235 E plus options 30E plus VAT 40E car is just about 300E.
    But if the dollar stays weak, US prices will have to go up by mayvbe 25-30%.

But the real twist was the small alfa MITA's which had a lot of similar design DNA inside and out, like the racing seat with the Alfa logo and the wheels (a copy of the 8C).... the price base 15E!

Wow I can't believe they had these cars together.

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The prices are in thousands of Euros ie 235E = 235,000 Euros and 15E= 15,000 Euros.

24. zjhoward

zjhoward Karting

Dec 15, 2007
    Full Name:
    Zachary Howard
    Damn, I already had my checkbook out...