Algar Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Algar Ferrari

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by PHC1, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had to get a rock chip repaired by Karosserie. Headed back there tomorrow for pick up!

2. FerrariMC

FerrariMC Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2006
    Allentown, PA Area
    Full Name:
    Mark C
    As a HUGE tifosi, the guys at Algar have always been great too me and I don't see anything changing, no matter who owns it. By the way, Tony, thanks for the article on the beginnings of Algar as a Ferrari dealership, that was really interesting. Never knew Algar was such a hub for the "early days" of Ferrari as an importer in the East, really cool. I'm not as "in" as all of you are, but as a "non-owner"/tifosi, I'm really glad I have a dealer like Algar in the area, who truly treat enthusiast's like part of the Ferrari family as well. Grazie mille! Ciao.

Mark

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Will definately be interesting to see how this unfolds. Anyone know which staff members are staying?

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    With all due respect, I think it is bad form to discuss who is going to be let go or not on a public forum. These are people's livelihoods we are talking about and I think most of us would call the employees of Algar our friends.

To answer your question, I feel like I can confidently speak for all of Algars customers that we have the upmost confidence in Francis, Mike B., Tony D., and the entire crew who work with them. Algar is an institution and a family. We all hope the new owners see the value of the fine team that exists and gives them the resources and confidence to push the envelope.

5. M138

M138 Karting

Sep 21, 2010
    York
    Full Name:
    Bob D
    Algar Ferrari Maserati was sold to a Russian billionaire and do not have the Maserati franchise any longer , it was transfered to Porsche of the Main Line. I believe they want Maserati to have a dealership that can do more volume and be less unique.

Apparently Maserati wants to increase production from 5000 units today to 50,000 units by 2015. To do this they are going to produce a cheaper version. They are investing nearly 1 billion dollars in a new plant. I believe this will be a strong deviation from their Ferrari parentood of the past. They want to be more mainstream and be a competitor of BMW and Mercedes.

6. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I fear that Maserati is again on the precipice and about to take a nose dive. Maserati could have been a great compliment to Ferrari, they could make the luxury cars that Ferrari can't while still holding on to the Ferrari DNA. Personally, I feel like they are a terrible competitor for Mercedes. The last time Maserati went down market, the company almost became nonexistent. FIAT needs to really be careful about how they roll out their new strategy. From what I have read, they are actually going to do another Maserati TC. That is not the way to put your best foot forward :(

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Agreed. I didn't mean it like that, i guess it came out wrong. I didn't know if everyone was in agreement with the new purchase/management.

8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    No worries!

9. M138

M138 Karting

Sep 21, 2010
    York
    Full Name:
    Bob D
    I wish they would leave Maserati in its present course. If they would bring Alfa into the equation in the states they could use that marque to produce the volume. They have built Maserati as a luxury Ferrari and need to keep doing so. I agree that they could tank the whole thing by ruining the brand again.

10. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Sorry but I disagree with this theory. Nothing could keep Maserati from ruining the brand. It has a brand which exudes useless, overpriced crap. You could put a Ferrari engine in a Pinto and it's still a Pinto

11. Desmosedici

Desmosedici Karting
    BANNED

Aug 9, 2009
    Hey, but the MC12 kicks a-s! LOL.

I think some Maseratis place and compete well with some other cars in their segments (although higher-end Panameras and to an extent for those with some price elasticity Rapides, new Spur coming etc. take a good chunk out of that)..... but I don't know how well they are placed selling under the same roof as Ferraris. I don't doubt that sales of the brand on the whole might under-perform but I know a few dealers that sell a ton of them, but yeah, if I were shopping in the segment in truth I'd prob. almost always go for something else.

But I want a 458 Spider dammit!!... and I'm not a cab. kinda guy but I can't get that car out of my head. Can we have some kind of fundraiser on here for me maybe?

12. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Many will stand with you in the fundraiser for me to own a 458 spider campaign. Unfortunately, you won't have many contributors....LOL.

As for Maserati, one the keys to sale ability is having a car that's leasable. The residuals on the Maser make the price point unconscionable in comparison to others of like kind. Thus, the rub

13. Rainmaker Ferrari

Jun 21, 2011
    Lansdale PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was over at Algar today to take my car in for service. The just received a 599 GTO , go check it out. Awesome

14. Rafienva

Rafienva Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Ralph(Rafi) Cestero
    Unfortunately, Alfa Romeo is going to be sold alongside Fiat by Chrysler dealers. I spent 4 months with a Fiat dealer owned by Chrysler shop and they are running these so called "Studios" like a domestic store. I am not saying all the "Studios" are operating this way but the majority of them are..

I could not take it anymore and left. Ideally it should have been marketed with Maserati dealers. They dropped the ball again..

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just wanted to give yet another example of why Algar is IMHO, the absolute best automobile dealership of any stripe around. I don't know of anyone who would go to the lengths they do to treat people like family.

I look forward every year to the Reading Concours. Unfortunately, this year I had to attend a wedding in Pittsburgh and there would simply be no way for me to get the car to the show in time. I was on the phone with the Service Manager at Algar, Mike Bloch, last week and I asked if he was going. He said he was and he graciously agreed to drive her there for me. When I arrived at the show bleary eyed from driving all night from Pittsburgh, Mike greeted me with the keys to my car. I couldn't believe it, but he had done all the pre-show prep for me as well. All I had to do was wait for judges.

I was floored.

Fast forward a few hours and its time to go, I have been trying to get my car to them for weeks but my work schedule and the weather have conspired against me and this week didn't look any better. Anyway, I was talking to Patrick in sales at the Concours and he offered to meet me at the dealership on his way home later that night.

I texted him at 8:30, and apologized for not being able to make it out there. Instead of rescheduling, Patrick drove out and met me at the dealership 9:00 PM so I could drop her off!!!

I don't know what magic Francis has that he has been able to assemble such an incredible team around him, but even my wife, who could care less about cars, could not believe the service I received.

I had the pleasure of meeting the new owner of Algar today, and he is truly a wonderful guy and really wants this place to be the best it can be. I don't know how they can possibly improve, but I wish him all the success.

16. PHC1

PHC1 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2007
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Joe, I agree with you 100%, Algar sales and service teams are simply outstanding. I've dealt with many dealerships in the area, Algar stands out! It goes beyond simply sales of cars, it feels more like friends and family. It's what keeps me coming back! :)

17. smj113

smj113 Karting

Oct 23, 2007
    Philly Suburbs
    Maserati of the Main Line is now in across the street from MB of Devon. They are in the former Maybach (then CPO) building

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Never bought a car from Algar, but I can vouch that their service department is truly top notch. Never had anything other than great experiences there.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I think their mechanic won top Ferrari mechanics award

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Two of their mechanics actually. FWIW, there is not another shop around with four Ferrari certified Master Mechanics under one roof.