"All But My Life" | FerrariChat

"All But My Life"

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Smiles, May 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just got my hands on a copy of All But My Life, the portrait of Stirling Moss written by Ken Purdy. If you've read and enjoyed Purdy's profile of Fon de Portago, you'll absolutely love All But My Life. I highly recommend it. It may be difficult to find, but it's worth it.

--Matt

2. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    I don't know if it is quoted in "All But My Life", but I clearly remember one challenge Stirling said he gave himself. He would try to average 60 mph on the B roads in England, without exceeding 70 mph. In other words, achieve the average without taking advantage of any long straightaways. I just got back from a trip to England, and again saw the difficulty that would present.

With today's traffic and housing density, it may be foolhardy to even attempt, but would be quite a challenge on totally empty B roads --- especially in a car with 1950's or 1960's technology.

Regards,

Jim Walker

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Yes, Jim, that passage is in the book. I'm really pleased that you understand how serious that challenge was (and, perhaps, is). It's a subtlety that I think would be lost on many people.

I also liked the idea that Moss was not very interested in what particular car he drove. Purdy compares Moss's opinions on cars to a master painter's opinion on paintbrushes: he's less interested in what they actually are than in what they can do for him in his art.

That being said, Moss always preferred a private car, and hopefully a British one, even before the British had developed competitive race cars. Private cars were slower than factory efforts, and (at the time) British cars were usually also slower. It was a way of Moss handicapping himself in order to increase the challenge. Always a patriot, he insisted on Union Jack flags on the sides of his Maseratis.

For Ferrari aficionados, Moss's dealings with Enzo Ferrari need to be read.

As an aside, but an important one, does anyone know any of the details that led to Purdy's death in 1972? I know that it was a suicide, but I was hoping that a man who was so articulate in life would leave behind some clues that would better explain his death. Especially because he held such an interest in drivers who would daily defy death itself.

What exactly became of Ken Purdy?

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately he took his own life.

John

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks, John. Sadly, that usually happens with suicides...

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I've had my paperback copy of "All But My Life" for many years. I recently came across an unmarked copy of "Stirling Moss: The Authorized Biography" in my local used book store, so I got that for $18.75 (six bucks off the cover price).

7. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    A little-known part of Moss's career is the fact he was an accomplished long distance rally driver with several major trophies to his credit, including more than one Coupe de Alpes. In one Alpine Rally, Sterling and his codriver had a journalist along in the back seat covering the event. They were going downhill on a road with patches of black glare ice and the journalist nerviously asked if their speed was a bit high for the conditions. Stirling replied something like "We are as likely to go off at 30 mph as we are at 80 mph, so we might as well press on."

Regards,

Jim Walker

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ooops, didn't read your whole post carefully!

John

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice. :)

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I found the following short bio:

It seems that Ken Purdy (or his wife, or estate) has left two major awards. The best known, and the one most relevant to Ferrari Chat, is awarded for excellence in professional automobile journalism aimed at a general audience. The other, which is more revealing to my questions surrounding his suicide, is awarded for significant contributions to end discrimination against people with mental illness.

For an interesting automotive read, here's a link to the 2004 winner of the Ken Purdy Award, along with other recipients:
    http://www.impa.org/award_recipients.cfm

--Matt