All electric airplane is cheaper than gas | FerrariChat

All electric airplane is cheaper than gas

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Aug 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No doubt the idea of electric motors for flight would make sense if batteries didn't weigh so much and they didn't run out of juice so fast.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've read about that electric trainer before. As a trainer, I can see why it would be brilliant. I'm not so sure about using one as a traveling machine, though.

4. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    #4 Giovanni_P, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Jeepers. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "range anxiety"!

that being said, the article provides some compelling arguments for why an electric trainer (which would be used largely for point-A to point-A flights of limited duration) makes good sense. My recollection from my limited flight-training experience years ago, though, was that significant effort and instruction was devoted to teaching me how to ensure that the motor would continue to run- looking for water in the fuel, learning how to monitor all the gauges to make sure they stayed in the green, etc. An all-electric trainer would certainly allow the students to focus on the aerodynamic characteristics of flight, but wouldn't you be missing all the in's and out's of engine management (and eventually, the cross-country aspects like navigation)?

JP

5. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Great for training schools and learning principles of flight.. and ironic that in an activity full of licence add-on endorsements your very first one might be how to handle an ICE so you can go somewhere!