All-Electric Ferrari Announced for 2025! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

All-Electric Ferrari Announced for 2025!

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by ingegnere, Apr 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Of course it does. First, the Ferrari Radio is made by virgins under the moonlight with only the finest patent restricted parts available. Second, the sound that it can produce exceeds the limits of the human ear allowing both low frequency whales and dolphins as well high frequency dogs and cats to enjoy the sounds.

To suggest that a Camry radio could reproduce the engineered sound of a Ferrari radio playing an F1 tape is preposterous.;)

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It’s the way of the future although I think it’s a joke as someone already pointed out, all these electric cars are being charged by electricity created from coal burning plants.

But Ferrari batteries are not known for being real reliable and now you want a whole car powered by them? YIKES!

JTSE30 likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    All I care about is gasoline, as long as its around, their will be used Ferraris to be bought and driven.If they want to build nothing but evs , let them, they will have enough idiots to buy them, same as what we see now, present company excluded .

Thank you

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Such a classy sound. Who wouldn't get all emotional about that. Then there's the wooden test stand.

paulchua likes this.
  5. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    Just because Ferrari will make and sell an EV doesn't mean you have to buy it. This is just one car, for now, although there will certainly be others.

A while ago, Enzo decided to finance his racing team by selling cars to the public. Those cars allowed Ferrari the flexibility to maintain their team over many years. Now they want to sell an FUV. Now they want to sell an EV. It's a means to an end for the company. The public will buy them, which will give Ferrari more flexibility for the future. If those particular cars don't appeal to you, don't buy them.

Andy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

CoreyNJ, 9nb, paulchua and 1 other person like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Today's kids are tomorrow's buyers. From my experiences, kids prefer it.

7. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    They are converting older F cars to electric in the UK NOW.

8. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I think we will eventually come full circle. IME will have a place and tomorrow’s buyers will seek them out again.

paulchua likes this.
  9. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Sorry ICE

paulchua likes this.
  10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Ferrari could make another 300 super cars and charge 10M each and it be sold out in a week so people will buy the E car no matter what but for a business model I am not so sure

11. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    How much are you driving? Some simple math based on your numbers above:
    - Increase in electric bill: $950 / month ($1100 - $150)
    - Increase in energy: 3200kWh / month (assumes ~$0.30 per kWh utility rate)
    - Miles driven per month: 11000mi / month (assumes 3.5mi / kWh)

Wow. The two of you drive a *lot* of miles per month. And these would all have to be "day trips", since you're coming home to charge the vehicle.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahaha! I love my Dinoco shirt.
    :)

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree I don't know if the majority of buyers would seek them out, but there will always be a niche. Good for us!
    :)

14. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    How or what will they use to recharge those batteries, I’m thinkin’ it’s going to be oil or NG. AND I can guarantee we will be fighting over lithium.

15. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    At least with an EV there is the potential to change. Lots of folks I know with EVs also have solar panels that power their cars. The US has huge quantities of lithium in places like Nevada there shouldn't be a need to fight over it, however I wouldn't be surprised if alot of short sighted environmentalists make it very difficult to mine there.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    There's nothing to be said for specific output?

Would love to hear how a GM pushrod V8 is ahead in engine tech compared to Ferrari. (aside from fuel economy)

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oh boy..that old push rod engine has been absoulty destroying Ferrais on the street and track for decades. You picked the wrong engine in this case.

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Even if that were true which I am failing to understand, that speaks to being ahead in engine tech how?

I work with those pushrod V8's for a living for the past couple of decades so certainly nothing against them but to say that engine is ahead in tech?

Guess I would be waiting a while for an answer to that one.

19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    The end game for EV is self-driving. There’s not much of an enthusiast argument to be made for it.

Also, the superior technology and speed argument for EV is a bit like comparing sail boats to power boats. Obviously, the latter has superior technology and speed, but yet the former thrives.

20. Darrel S

Darrel S Rookie

Mar 2, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Darrel S
    Electric cars are transition tech. They will continue to exist, but they are not viable for the world. You cannot have sufficient proximal charging points to accommodate apartment blocks in cities or farms in middle Australia or Namibia. They are not eco friendly either if you consider the rape and pillage of African countries to open cast mine the rare earth metals to make the batteries, and to use in wind vane motors supplying apparently green energy. And then there is battery disposal and the fact that, whilst more economical, the additional weight of electric cars goes some way to negating the value of the reduced the power draw off the largely fossil fuel driven grid. It is a farce supported by government tax incentives to encourage people to buy electric as they desperately try to show they are doing something good for the planet and appease everyone's conscience. The production and disposal of an electric car is less environmentally friendly than a car with an internal combustion engine and the level of emissions from electric vehicles varies depending on how the electricity is produced. Furthermore, it is all pointless until there are alternatives to replace shipping bunker fuel (one of the world's biggest polluters) and to a lesser extent, aircraft. The only real solution for shifting high mass transport is hydrogen fuel cell or synthetic fuels, the latter of which amazingly works in our existing combustion engines with very little modification. Only Porsche seems to be willing to invest in making more e-fuels, although Ferrari are lobbying for their use in F1 by 2024. Surely all car companies should support synthetic fuel manufacture so they don't have to change the production line?

So with this in mind, the only Ferraris which will remain important are those which represent the history of the company. The same will be said of manual transmission. All Ferraris post Enzo's death in 1989 probably unfortunately don't qualify as "making history" as there is no front engined Columbo V12, the last engine fitted in his lifetime, and therefore perhaps the last historically relevant Ferrari engine. If you want evidence as to the desirability of manual over auto, there is only one Ferrari which shows this empirical evidence: The 400, 400i and 412 manuals consistently trade at a 20-30% premium to the autos. There is no other Ferrari in Enzo's era which was made in both auto and manual form. Will this be echoed in residual values of electric cars with no gears and no history?

If we agree that synthetic fuels will be valid (I hope so) then ICE cars will remain desirable, especially as more companies make non-eco friendly electric cars.

But as we know, there is no right or wrong, and we humans really don't know anything. Wisdom is knowing that you don't know, so as long as there is a choice, we should be happy.

EnzoItaly, Mickyd329, JonnySK and 3 others like this.
  21. Baracus250GT

Baracus250GT Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very eloquent post!! A lot of great points, well put. Let’s just hope there can still be a choice but I somehow doubt anything will change now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think ICE will be with us as an enthusiast medium, such as Tube Amps, Vinyl, Analog watches.

A good example is the United States does not ban certain collectible firearms, even if they are fully automatic. It's just a hard and expensive process to acquire one legally.

kes7u and Darrel S like this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well we could have track days and sit in the stands as we watch our cars race each other?

:eek:

Mickyd329, syata, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I never ever said they were ahead in tech. The GM engines I was speaking of are the 6 bangers and 4 bangers. They are quite the little.power plants.

25. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    Electric cars are a completely different product to ICE cars, and to my mind they will always be an inferior product. The finest ICE cars like Ferraris were designed with the sole purpose of fulfilling the role of an automobile to perfection. The designers and engineers combined to make a thing of beauty and the highest engineering standards, and the object was not just to get from A to B as quickly as possible but to make that journey a wonderful and memorable experience.

Electric cars do not have that focus at all. They're basically an absurdity created for purely political purposes and forced on a public who are mostly too supine to care what they drive - people who see a car as being pretty much like a washing machine. Their designers are not starting from the concept of making a great car - their starting point is that we've been given a pig, what shade of lipstick should we apply to it?

In an ideal world Ferrari should have said to hell with electric cars, the whole idea is entirely incompatible with what we're all about, and we'll be quite happy to carry on making the best ICE cars that we can until the government stops us doing so. And then we'll carry on making parts to make sure that the thousands of Ferraris around the world will be able to survive indefinitely. Hell, we might even concentrate on improving parts for our old cars, so that transmissions and electric roofs don't fail and people won't be so scared of buying them.

But it's not an ideal world, and Ferrari are now a long, long way from when Enzo ran the company. They're now a rather unpleasant and pretentious public company, with responsibilities to their shareholders a much bigger priority than their responsibilities to Ferrari drivers, and their focus has long since moved from making great cars to making great profits.

I suspect that Ferrari will eventually be killed by electric cars, and because of what they've become I won't shed any tears. They were a wonderful moment in time, but everything has a life cycle, and theirs is drawing to a close.