All Ferraris Will Be Hybrids Starting in 2019 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

All Ferraris Will Be Hybrids Starting in 2019

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by G. Pepper, Nov 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I am not sure its the market that has spoken or its more the epa, the need to do something for future generation and that oil wont last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gene-O

Gene-O Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2015
    It's worth repeating. The relative amount of oil used and excess CO2 contributed on a worldwide basis by all Ferrari cars and their owners is infinitesimally small. Making Ferrari electric will not effect our children one iota.

However one could make the argument that Tesla could contribute mightily to such pollution because of the CO2 cost of making all those lithium batteries. Also check out the toxicity of lithium sometime. It's eye opening. You don't want lithium dust floating around anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree with u. I certainly would rather more old school ferraris on the roads than teslas ;)

Also , i know off topic, but i find all those electric car dangerous for pedestrians because you can not hear them coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Dangerous driving them because being so dull I would be forever falling asleep at the wheel.

Gene-O and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Zero to sixty in under two seconds wouldn't bore me, even if it was a nearly silent experience. Add torque vectoring for each individual contact patch with four-wheel steering, and I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #56 Caeruleus11, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    I may not have made my point clearly enough. Apologies if that's the case. My point is the market place seems to enjoy cars like the 458- a car which Boxerman doesn't appear to like because its got too much assistance from electronics. And I fully understand his criticisms. The only issue I have is sometimes I think he takes his points- which are well thought out and valid- and turns them almost into a case of right or wrong. I say its not right or wrong, its just different. I appreciate what they have done with the aids because they need to make ever more powerful cars in order to sell them and as we have discussed power and torque are fun. Especially for a street car. These electronics allow some track sensations to come to more average drivers and to enjoy it. I think its an incredible accomplishment to use technology, not in a cold way, but in a way that makes driving a joyful experience. I look at it as nearly magical. I get the sense that Boxerman just wants to go back to a simpler time like the 355. I get it- NA V8, high revving, stick shift, you need greater relative skill to really pilot the car. No cupholders, no sat nav, no sat radio, no bluetooth. And to that I say there are 355s out in the market place. They couldn't make a car like that today- nor should they. Ferrari doesn't look backwards in that manner.

When I was young we learned in school that oil would be nearly all gone by the year 2000. It's now nearly 18 years past that date. Yet oil is here, and apparently there is even more of it.

That said, I don't see how pollution and burning oil products produces good outcomes for our planet. So I am very much in favor of reducing pollution and finding a way off non renewable energy sources, but so far what I have seen from the EV industry is simply a rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. If you want to be truly green, then stop buying products of all types and stop using electricity. I realize that is not going to happen, but that is the only way we can be truly green.

As Gene-O says those batteries are not very environmentally friendly to build, to put into a new car in a new factory (how is that green?!) and then to distribute, and then to dispose of. All those steps probably use far more oil and coal than simply going out and buying a Honda Civic. But that's not very exciting.

However, EVs do have unique advantages: peak torque from zero RPM, lower center of gravity, instant torque vectoring, better safety as there is no engine to account for in an accident- though the electric motors have to go somewhere I guess... So I say we should be curious about EVs and there are new things to be excited about.

But I also think part of Ferrari is the magnificence of the V12 engine. I know no analogy is perfect but would you rather wear a Patek or an Apple Watch? I'm sure some will say the latter, but for me, its the Patek. Why? The Patek is less accurate, costs far more, and requires maintenance. But it also is something personal and reflects incredible artistry and heritage. The Apple Watch, amazing technology that it is, is simply a widget. I know watches don't create pollution, but it is not the few Ferrari V12s running around that have created our issues. To lose the sound and experience of this engine would be a tragedy. That is because, as Traveller likes to say: Sound = energy. And we humans like experiences that involve our senses. Without that sound, what is left is more clinical. Imagine your favorite action movie without a soundtrack or played through a small speaker instead of the booming surround sound at the theater. That might be fine for a daily car, but when you want something fun, I think you want to involve your senses more.

So, while mashing the go pedal on an EV that can do 0-60 in under 2 seconds sounds like fun, I wonder if I wouldn't get tired with it. In my sports cars, its fun to give it the throttle, but its the whole experience including listening the to engine. I am captivated with the sound and the thought of all the mechanical interaction occurring. Like a ballet.

If they can do some kind of mild hybrid that allows us to keep the NA V12, then I will embrace it. I have every confidence in Ferrari's engineers. They have proved over the past many years they are up to the job. Just so long as it doesn't add too much weight. It might give us the best of both worlds. Instant torque for a little while with an ICE tuned for max power higher up the rev range. All the while providing the furious acceleration and soundtrack we all love.

7. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If Ferrari even wants to remain remotely competitive in the future they wont be building hybrids but full electric. The new Tesla sports car apparently does 0 - 60 in 2 seconds or less. It was their semi truck numbers that I found hard to believe (0 - 60 in 5 seconds)? Electric cars don't do anything for me as I think they seem soulless but that it where it is going. Program your destination and sit back while your electric Ferrari takes you there :(

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari is pursuing all-electric vehicles, and there's a thread about it!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/marchionne-maserati-ferrari-will-be-electrified-including-all-electric-models-beginning-in-2019.564366/

I will have two ICE Ferraris - a mid-V8 and a front-V12 - as long as I live, but an all-electric would be scary fast. I wouldn't mind one of those either. I don't care that the performance is quiet, it's performance.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    A bit of a late reply but........

MB? - Depends on the model.

The last MB AMG Black that I heard on the road was a pretty noisy bugger!

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I am not trying to be smug.
    I am trying to make the point that IF an electric or truly hybrid car wants to capture the hearts and minds of car guys, they actually need to prove themselves on the track.
    And I believe that can do that, and ferrari should be at the forefront lest thy miss the boat and let Porsche and Mercedes get too far ahead.

Btw, we will never run out of oil, and we will never stop refining it. And if you think I am wrong then you also need to then face the reality of life without anything synthetic- which includes a Tesla.

And fwiw, I own a fisker so I am not trying to ignore electric cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. George Hernandez

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    George Hernandez
    It might just be a matter of getting used to if Ferreri does go electric. Otherwise maybe a soundtrack can be added.

13. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I don't care I have my 458 and I will keep it until something better comes out and until it does I will keep it. By the way faster does not equate to better.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ross, I completely agree with you. When friends with Tesla's tell me how green they are I ask them how buying more stuff - especially when you consider the total life cycle- is good for the environment... It really isn't. The ultimate being green is getting away from stuff and electricity. But that's not realistic. One day I will probably have an electric pod, and when I am driven around by the GoogleAppleMicrosoftFacebook super hive mind, I will just play the Ferrari playlist on the speakers and dream of when I am brought home and I can then drive a real car and not an appliance....

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013